PDA

View Full Version : Walter's Basin

waukewanderer
02-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Walter's Basin changed hands sometime last Fall, and my favorite restaurant just isn't the same. :( Does anyone know if the previous owners have opened up a new restaurant in the area? Any idea where the chef works now?

Brookhurst98
04-06-2005, 03:59 PM
My family wnet over there about two years ago and loved it. If you find where the owner now is running a place let us know.

Lakegeezer
12-21-2010, 01:25 PM
We tried to go to Walter's last night. The web site indicates they are open at the bar all week, but when trying to call (several times), all we got was voicemail. It was not worth the risk that they might be closed, so we went elsewhere. Does anyone know the scoop?

twoplustwo
12-24-2010, 05:33 AM
We tried to go to Walter's last night. The web site indicates they are open at the bar all week, but when trying to call (several times), all we got was voicemail. It was not worth the risk that they might be closed, so we went elsewhere. Does anyone know the scoop?

I have no scoop, but driving by there Wednesday around 8, there wasn't a parking spot to be had.

MarkinNH
12-24-2010, 08:04 AM
I have coffee every morning with a man who goes there quite frequently and to the best of my knowledge, the ownership has not changed, the current chef has been there for about a year +/- and he is doing an excellent job and the food is wonderful. The resturant is open, doing well and I know for a fact that they are open tonight with atleast one party of approx. 20 people expected.

Greene's Basin Girl
08-28-2011, 02:22 AM
Last night Nhescape, Redwing , myself and a few others had dinner at Walter's Basin. I hadn't been there in years because my past experience was not a good one. Well---last evening the food was wonderful. I had the best chicken I have ever tasted. It was moist and delicious. Everyone loved their meals. We will return again in the future.

VitaBene
08-28-2011, 06:48 AM
Many years back. we kept our boat at Squam Boats across the river from what is now Walter's. Unfortunately what is now a restaurant was the bowling alley!

BroadHopper
09-24-2012, 07:08 PM
The Ms and I decided to stop at the Basshole Lounge after a day hiking the Rattlesnakes and Col Trail. Excellent Sunday for hiking.

We had a great experience. The dining room is closed but the lounge was busy. The bartender did an excellent job tending bar and waiting on tables without extra help. I am surprised they did not have the hostess piched in. She pretty much stayed at her station.

The Bison burger was top notched on a sourdough bun with generous amount of lettuce, tomatoes and caramelized onion. The sweet potato fries was served with a NH maple syrup/apple cider sauce. Sweet!

The Ms had chicken salad sandwich with cranberry and almonds. It was garnished with apple slices. Fresh large onion rings were served with a tangy honey mustard. She was impressed!

I heartily recomend the restuarant on your trip to the Holderness area.

BTW, the Basin is for sale for 1.195 mil. Including the furnishing and current staff/management.

Jmo77011
09-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Does anyone know if they still do brunch on weekends?

SIKSUKR
09-25-2012, 02:12 PM
The Basshole Lounge huh?ha ha.

BroadHopper
09-25-2012, 02:52 PM
The Basshole Lounge huh?ha ha.

You figure the Squamies will think it is not appropriate in their back yard! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

VitaBene
09-26-2012, 07:49 AM
The Ms and I decided to stop at the Basshole Lounge after a day hiking the Rattlesnakes and Col Trail. Excellent Sunday for hiking.

We had a great experience. The dining room is closed but the lounge was busy. The bartender did an excellent job tending bar and waiting on tables without extra help. I am surprised they did not have the hostess piched in. She pretty much stayed at her station.

The Bison burger was top notched on a sourdough bun with generous amount of lettuce, tomatoes and caramelized onion. The sweet potato fries was served with a NH maple syrup/apple cider sauce. Sweet!

The Ms had chicken salad sandwich with cranberry and almonds. It was garnished with apple slices. Fresh large onion rings were served with a tangy honey mustard. She was impressed!

I heartily recomend the restuarant on your trip to the Holderness area.

BTW, the Basin is for sale for 1.195 mil. Including the furnishing and current staff/management.

I remember it as a bowling alley!

Heaven
09-26-2012, 09:24 AM
I had the buffalo tenders and they were absolutely nothing to write home about. The sandwiches did look good.

MDoug
09-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Big change a few years ago, unfortunately seeming to attract bikers into the bar. Now too much of a roadhouse for us. Brunch also was not what it used to be a few years ago.

Gatto Nero
08-12-2014, 04:52 PM
My wife and I stopped in this past Sunday. We were on the way home from Vermont on a motorcycle and it started raining just as we were passing by so we figure it was as good a place as any. It was early evening, maybe 6:30, and we both got specials that they were advertising. My wife got salmon and I got scallops. My wife had no complaint with the salmon but I took one bite of the scallops and knew instantly that they had turned. I called the server over and let her know. She was very nice about it. She took them back and gave me the menu to look over again. She came back a few minutes later to take my order again but then she proceeded to tell me that the scallops were not bad, that I must not have liked the sauce they had used in the special because the scallops were just "picked" that morning. I told her that unless they were using ammonia in their sauce they most certainly were bad. My second meal arrived and when she came back to check on it she told me that they had, in fact, gone bad. Ya, I know.

Although I wasn't too thrilled with the fact that the daily seafood special that I bit into tasted like ammonia and they didn't know it, and they even argued the fact as a fist reaction, that wasn't what caused me to write this here. I get that things happen. The server was very nice, not apologetic, but nice. What got me irked is that no one from management ever came over to apologize or to offer some sort of comp. I don't go looking for comps in restaurants. I hardly ever complain unless its something over the top like this but it just seemed to me that some sort of unsolicited reaction was in order. I did not seek out the manager and I did not ask for a comp so some might say I shouldn't be bitching here as a first resort, but it seems to me with a serious issue like obviously bad seafood I shouldn't have to ask to see the manager. I shouldn't have to ask for a comp. I worked in a restaurants all through high school and college and if that ever happened in any of the places I worked that was a major deal. Management would have been notified immediately and they would have been all over it apologizing and offering whatever they could to try and make up for it. The fact that it was barely acknowledged by my server and not at all by management is enough for me never to go back their again.

Just sayin

RTTOOL
08-12-2014, 05:54 PM
My wife and I stopped in this past Sunday. We were on the way home from Vermont on a motorcycle and it started raining just as we were passing by so we figure it was as good a place as any. It was early evening, maybe 6:30, and we both got specials that they were advertising. My wife got salmon and I got scallops. My wife had no complaint with the salmon but I took one bite of the scallops and knew instantly that they had turned. I called the server over and let her know. She was very nice about it. She took them back and gave me the menu to look over again. She came back a few minutes later to take my order again but then she proceeded to tell me that the scallops were not bad, that I must not have liked the sauce they had used in the special because the scallops were just "picked" that morning. I told her that unless they were using ammonia in their sauce they most certainly were bad. My second meal arrived and when she came back to check on it she told me that they had, in fact, gone bad. Ya, I know.

Although I wasn't too thrilled with the fact that the daily seafood special that I bit into tasted like ammonia and they didn't know it, and they even argued the fact as a fist reaction, that wasn't what caused me to write this here. I get that things happen. The server was very nice, not apologetic, but nice. What got me irked is that no one from management ever came over to apologize or to offer some sort of comp. I don't go looking for comps in restaurants. I hardly ever complain unless its something over the top like this but it just seemed to me that some sort of unsolicited reaction was in order. I did not seek out the manager and I did not ask for a comp so some might say I shouldn't be bitching here as a first resort, but it seems to me with a serious issue like obviously bad seafood I shouldn't have to ask to see the manager. I shouldn't have to ask for a comp. I worked in a restaurants all through high school and college and if that ever happened in any of the places I worked that was a major deal. Management would have been notified immediately and they would have been all over it apologizing and offering whatever they could to try and make up for it. The fact that it was barely acknowledged by my server and not at all by management is enough for me never to go back their again.

Just sayin

you needed :cool:scallops you should try mr's-c for seafood they also have the best lamb chops

Gatto Nero
08-13-2014, 12:02 PM
you needed :cool:scallops you should try mr's-c for seafood they also have the best lamb chops

As much as I would love to revisit Mr. C's it's probably not in the best interest of this forum so I will refrain. What do you think, GTO?