PDA

View Full Version : Snow cover reports

Merrymeeting
02-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Watching the news this AM and the weather reporter showed a snow coverage map of the US. He related that more than 45% of the country has snow cover today as opposed to only 19% at this time last year.

The maps showed almost all of NH with snow cover, with an average over 3" in the Lakes Region.

Do any of these guys own a phone or a camera to check their stories? I'm looking out my window here in New Durham and thinking the 3" of snow looks a lot like bare ground and brown leaves. No white anywhere in sight.

gillygirl
02-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Don't know which weatherman you watched or what source they used, but NOAA has an interactive map available where you can zoom in and see snow depth amounts. When I zoomed into the lake, it seemed like it was primarily 0-4"in the Lakes Region, with 0 on the south side and 4" in the hills/mountains north of the lake.

Interactive Snow Information (http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/map.html)

GG

Formula
02-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Try this out
It works very well
http://ahps.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/html/snow_depth.html

Belmont Resident
02-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Although last year was not as cold, what snow we did get we held onto for longer.
Right now a lot of areas even as far north as Moosehead lake have groomers parked for lack of snow after the last warm-up and rain.
Without snow soon a lot of businesses that rely on skiers and snowmobilers for food, lodging fuel are going to be in really tough shape.
I've talked with 2 dealers that sold everything they had for sleds because of the early start to the season. Now they have all kinds of repair work because people are trying to get out on the trails and running into rocks and stumps and icy corners. Great for repair shops but bad for riders.
We have less then 500 miles this year and without some snow soon it is going to be the worst season for riding since I started in 96.

It will interesting with the lack of snow to hear how many sleds overheat blow up trying to ride on the lakes.

secondcurve
02-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Although last year was not as cold, what snow we did get we held onto for longer.
Right now a lot of areas even as far north as Moosehead lake have groomers parked for lack of snow after the last warm-up and rain.
Without snow soon a lot of businesses that rely on skiers and snowmobilers for food, lodging fuel are going to be in really tough shape.
I've talked with 2 dealers that sold everything they had for sleds because of the early start to the season. Now they have all kinds of repair work because people are trying to get out on the trails and running into rocks and stumps and icy corners. Great for repair shops but bad for riders.
We have less then 500 miles this year and without some snow soon it is going to be the worst season for riding since I started in 96.

It will interesting with the lack of snow to hear how many sleds overheat blow up trying to ride on the lakes.

Let's hope there is a big storm or two before February school vacation arrives in a couple of weeks. The ski areas had a good Christmas week and conditions during MLK weekend were good, too. But to have a really great season these businesses are going to need some more snow storms real soon.

Belmont Resident
02-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Let's hope there is a big storm or two before February school vacation arrives in a couple of weeks. The ski areas had a good Christmas week and conditions during MLK weekend were good, too. But to have a really great season these businesses are going to need some more snow storms real soon.

If it can be believed, and it usually can't, there is nothing in the 7 day and the long range forecast has us warming up almost every time there is a chance of precipitation through the end of February.
Very disappointing. :emb:
Only a bit over 500 miles for the 2.5 days that we actually rode our sleds this winter. :( :emb:
And the worst part is the plow truck just sits there idle. :eek: