PDA

View Full Version : "Custom" Boat Covers

itchin for fishin
02-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these mail order direct "custom" boat covers? Specifically, I was looking at the boatcoversdirect.com site to purchase a cover for my Sea Ray. Seems to me that since these models are abundant and standard, someone could offer a quality Sunbrella cover without the extra measuring a custom shop would do at a whole lot less! Has anyone used this boatcoversdirect or a similar type company?

Rattlesnake Gal
02-04-2005, 08:02 AM
To get you started:
Bimini Thread (http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600&highlight=boat+canvas)
Good luck!
RG

itchin for fishin
02-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks RG. I did go through that entire thread. My thought was I had a little more give in a mooring cover over the bimini thus my new thread. Boatcovers.com did have two options for my boat, one was a "semi-custom" the other "custom." The Overton's mentioned in the bimini thread seemed to generic for my needs.

fatlazyless
02-04-2005, 08:31 AM
In the Cabelas catalog or on www.cabelas.com, there's the Hurricane Boat Cover Company's 1-800 number, that does the same thing; makes in three different materials, prices & colors from computer memory. I went with the low price model and for about $425. got a cover for my '94 21' walk-around cutty cabin made out of a not-very-breathable grey canvas material and then installed a couple of air vents on top. Breathable and color-choice Sunbrella probably costs a lot more. They asked questions like; high-low bow rails,inboard-outboard or outboard? It fits good.

Rattlesnake Gal
02-04-2005, 11:33 AM
itchin for fishin,
I hope that I didn’t come across snooty, making you feel that should have searched before posting. That was not why I posted the link. There was just some possibly pertinent stuff to your situation. :D
When I go to make a big purchase I try to look at all the angles. Drives my husband crazy! :laugh:
RG

Grady223
02-04-2005, 12:59 PM
I have found Rollins Uphiolstery in Wolfeboro to be almost as reasonable as the mail order and if there's an issue he's right there. Take your boat there and he custom fits it so you know it'll be right. Besides, doesn't SeaRay have some kind of funky grommet set up that attaches the cover to the windsheild - does anyone do this except SeaRay?

itchin for fishin
02-04-2005, 03:42 PM
RG, you can never come across as snooty!

Itchin

BroadHopper
02-04-2005, 04:19 PM
'The Canvas Guys' in Gilford is reasonable and excellent quality. The are across from Dave's Motorboat Shoppe.

Belmont Resident
02-05-2005, 12:06 PM
When I see some of the half A$$ tops out there I’m glad I had mine custom made. All hardware is stainless and locked into place. Top is made to withstand speeds of 45MPH. Try that with a top made using aluminum stock.
Someone I know has a Chaparral, the top that came with the boat uses stainless poles and hardware but the poles still pivot. Poor design, no way you can attach a grill to it.
Bottom line is sometimes you get what you pay for. Village Canvas did an excellent job on mine.

Proline
02-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Two words....Canvas Plus - in Melvin Village 603 544-3178. Ask for Rick. You won't be disappointed. Guarantees the stiching and no pooling water. Good luck.

Fun4us
02-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I love my custom made cover. It fits the boat like a glove. Now worry about wind or puddling. I think it was the best single investment I made for the boat. And having it made by a local person you seem to get a better job. Oh yes and the price for a morring cover for a 27 foot boat was far less than mail order! :)

winnilaker
02-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Ask for Doug, 603-455-5250. From his company info page;At Shorline Cover Works our focus is on serving recreation and industrial canvas and vinyl needs. Rapid turnaround through on site repair service, reducing your investments' exposure to the elements. Give us a call for that Spring canvas restitch. We cover what others don't. What about that bike, snowmobile seat, toolbox, welder?