PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Fishing

ejg723
02-03-2005, 04:47 PM
I have never been to Lake Winnipesaukee before but have heard the salmon fishing is excellent. I'm trying to organize a trip for four adults to go salmon fishing on the Lake in May. Can anyone recommend a good charter captain and lodging. Also, is May the best time to go or can you recommend another time or, is am I better off elsewhere in NH altogether? Thank you.

Tired of Waiting
02-04-2005, 12:41 PM
ejg723,

First let me welcome you to the forum. Good readings, good times, and good folks here.

Second, May is a good time for salmon on the lake. I don't think you would do better any place else. However be aware that there is a salmon derby that month and many of the charters are booked that week.

The only two charters I know of and have heard good things about are Coolwater, and Salmonitist (sp).

Surf around in the links section of this site and you should find links to many charters.

Last year in the derby, I and my partner boated 22 salmon in 2-1/2 days the smallest being 17-1/2" and the largest being 23". Not big enough to win the boat but all nice fish.

Good Luck

ToW

ejg723
02-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Thank you very much for your response. I heard from someone else about the derby and will try to avoid that time. Do you knwo what date the derby is being held this year? Thanks again for your help.

Rattlesnake Gal
02-04-2005, 04:26 PM
The 23rd Annual Winni Derby is May 13th - 15th.
Winni Derby (http://www.winniderby.com/)

DRH
02-04-2005, 08:55 PM
I have never been to Lake Winnipesaukee before but have heard the salmon fishing is excellent. I'm trying to organize a trip for four adults to go salmon fishing on the Lake in May. Can anyone recommend a good charter captain and lodging. Also, is May the best time to go or can you recommend another time or, is am I better off elsewhere in NH altogether? Thank you.
Shortly after ice-out last spring my dad and I took a morning salmon fishing charter with Pete Grasso, "Dr. Hook Fishing Charters", departing from the Weirs public docks. We had a great time and hooked 3 nice salmon. Pete has a web site: http://mysite.verizon.net/drhook1. We found him to be an excellent guide who provided many fishing tips during our charter.

From ice-out through May is usually very good for salmon and lake trout fishing on Winnipesaukee.

(I have no affiliation with Pete, even though he is another "Dr. H"!) :laugh:

JDeere
02-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Peter Grasso runs a fine charter service. Highly suggest you try him.

Proline
02-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Also, Rick Forge. His boat is Jammin Salmon out of Center Harbor. He is listed under the fishing links page. You won't be disppointed.

fatlazyless
02-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Adult beverages, are there any Winnipesaukee charter fishing captains that welcome adult beverages, at least the in-the-can variety, on board his fishing boat?