PDA

View Full Version : Old anchor recovered

Diver1111
10-07-2012, 07:52 AM
A man-former diver-brought me an anchor recently to look over that in my opinion is not only the real deal but prob. made about 1800-1870. Heavy sharp striations in the metal is typical after encrustation has been removed from very old metal. Even though he painted it after removing the stuff they are still clearly visible.

It is a remarkable find from the central part of the lake just off an island. The anchor stretched out at the pivot is perhaps 7 feet long.

Very nice.

Senter Cove Guy
10-07-2012, 08:18 AM
It cleaned up pretty nicely. Anything that old usually is deteriorated very badly. Most of this anchor must have been buried in the muck for it to have survived so well.

Kamper
10-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Well, I know it's not mine so you can keep it.

Grant
10-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Nice find.

glennsteely
11-13-2012, 08:13 AM
My father found one just like this maybe 40-45 years ago in the mouth of Sachem cove in 50 feet of water....he dug it out and used a boat to pull it the rest of the way out of the clay-mud it was buried in. It was an identical match for this one, same size as well. Where did they come from? Must have been a similar boat or barge being that they were twins.....Im thinking logging barges? Being that the area where my father found his was a big logging area. Always wondered about where it may have came from, dont know where it went either, it was in our shed for 20 years or more up at the lake. Please give me any info you might have....thanks!!