PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Advice on low temperature alarms

Silver Duck
01-30-2005, 12:05 PM
My father spends his Winters in Florida, but does not want to fully winterize his house, so I "keep an eye on it" for him.

Last weekend, we had a very close call with a loss-of-heat situation. We arrived to find the heat off and the house temperature in the low 40s; since the previous night had been below 0, I figure that we lucked out and got there only a few hours after the heat had failed. :eek:

I want to install a dial-out low temperature alarm, and figured that many forum members must use these to protect their lake homes. I'd greatly appreciate any advice concerning the best brands, and where to purchase one!

Thanks in advance,

Silver Duck

Paugus Bay Resident
01-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Try SmartHome (http://www.smarthome.com/hvacmap.html)

SAMIAM
01-30-2005, 12:20 PM
I have the same situation with my mom's house,but it is in view,so I just use a plug-in temperature switch (very cheap) hooked up to a light in the window. We leave the house at 50 degrees and just to be safe,we turn the water off without draining the pipes.That way they water is always ready to be used but if a pipe should freeze,there wouldn't be a flood.
Hope that's helpful

Pepper
01-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Call Don at Guardian Technologies 603-524-3380. He recently installed one of these systems in my Mother-in-law's condo. He does all the work himself, and programs the unit to dial up to five different phone numbers. It'll keep dialing all five till somebody responds with the correct code to stop the cycle. We have hers set to start calling at 50 degrees. It's a one-time cost - you own the unit forever, and no monthly fees or service charges!

We are thrilled with the work he's done, and delighted with the unit! HIGHLY RECOMMEND Guardian Technologies!

01-30-2005, 02:17 PM
I had the same issue so I installed one of these units form Sensaphone. http://www.smarthome.com/7005.html

Was well worth it and I can check anytime for peace of mind. Easy to install and program (10 min. of time)

Good luck

KTO
01-30-2005, 03:04 PM
We used to do that "light" thing. We'd plug it into the wall and would have a neighbor look after it for us. If they light went on, there was a temp. problem.

The Eagle
01-31-2005, 01:28 PM
Hi Silver Duck!
I don't know if you have oil heat and who your supplier is, but we use Fred Fuller Oil. They installed a temperature notifier to our furnace, and if our house temp drops or the furnace fails to come on, it calls THEM. Fred Fuller then sends a serviceman (we leave him keys to our house) to go over to our house and fix the problem. It saves us from running all the way up there, and it sends a serviceman (which we would probably need anyway) to solve the problem. We also have "Automatic Delivery" so it never runs out of oil. We have used Fuller for the eight years we have been up there, and so far, I am pleased with his service. There is an annual charge for this service, but it's very inexpensive. His number is (603) 253-6600 if you want to speak with them.
"The Eagle"

RLW
01-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Good afternoon The Eagle,
Who pays the bill when the serviceman goes through all the trouble to go to your place and it isn't the burner, but a good ole fashion power failure?? :)

Silver Duck
01-31-2005, 08:14 PM
Hi All

Thanks for the input. That sensaphone gizmo is pretty much what I'd envisioned. And, Eagle, the home is down in MA. But, I think I'll give his oil supplier a call and see if they offer the same service.

SAMIAM, that's a heck of a good idea; I'm ashamed that my Dad and I didn't think of it. (He was a plumber, and I grew up helping him! :rolleye2: ) The main supply valve is getting shut off next time I go down there, even with a monitoring system.

If anyone knows of any additional units similar to the sensaphone, I'd be very happy to hear about them.

Thanks again,

Silver Duck

The Eagle
02-01-2005, 08:18 AM
Hi RLW,
So far we have never, had to have that problem. Althought the power does go out often, it is never out, so long, that the Tempratures drop into the danger zone. The device works off the phone line, so if there is no power, the control device can still signal the oil company.

(just a cute note: I noticed, the picture of your license plate. I can tell it's a Veteran's plate, but the funny thing is MY initials are FS)
"The Eagle"

Island-Ho
02-01-2005, 12:14 PM
If you turn off the water supply valve (a good idea), make sure the gas, oil, or electricity is also turned off to the water heater. An open faucet, or a leak can drain the heater, leading to a melt-down or worse.

RLW
02-01-2005, 01:56 PM
You are right about shutting down the water system, but not because of a leaky faucet or pipe. That would not drain down the system for a melt down as the main system is shut down and there is no pressure to push the water out of the tank and/or coils. Now if the tank sprung a leak that is a different story. MELT DOWN :)

Just Wonderin
02-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Silver Duck,

Go to Amazon.com and search "freeze alarm". We recently purchased one for our cottage up at the lake and in all of our searching, Amazon.com had the best prices. And, hey, if you're willing to sign up for an Amazon.com Visa card, they'll even give you an additional $30.00 off your purchase. (that's a female shopper for you)

We bought the Control Products FA-I-CAA Intermediate FreezeAlarm. The retail price on other sites is $250.00. Amazon.com's price is $179.00 and with the additional $30.00 off, it came to $149.00 with free shipping...such a deal!

When you search "freeze alarm" you will be shown 4 models. You may prefer one other than the intermediate, but it's one more place to look before you make your decision. Good Luck!

Island-Ho
02-02-2005, 12:27 PM
I was trying to keep my suggestion simple without all the details. You are correct, but there are some installations where the water heater is above some of the faucets. If someone inadvertently opened one of those hot water faucets, and with other conditions favorable (or unfavorable, depending on your point of view), it is possible to drain the tank. Obviously some source of replacement air would be required. Also, as you mention, a leaky tank would lead to the same result. Bottom line - It is recommended that the heat source in the tank be turned off.

Silver Duck
02-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Thanks, Just Wonderin! I'll pop over to Amazon.com and have a look at that model.

Silver Duck

Charlie T
02-03-2005, 10:43 AM
I have had a "FREEZE ALARM" at my house for 2 yrs. I have been very happy with it. The model I have allows me to call in and over the telephone and check the temp in the house. It also allows me to turn my heat up or down ( relay contact closure activation) so that I can keep the house cool and economical when I am not there, yet I can turn the heat up several hours before I arrive so that it is nice and toasty. It has provisions for a external "water sensor " so I know if I have sprung a water leak and there is water on the floor. To be safe I shut the pump off when I am not there.
The couple of hundred I spent on it is certainly cheaper than the cost of a freeze up. I hope this helps
Good Luck
Charlie

JoeP
03-05-2005, 06:21 PM
I have the basic freeze alarm model (was about $100) and learned last winter that it works! It telephoned us in the middle of a very cold night. I called Fred Fuller's (they have 24-hour coverage) and they sent out a service person first thing in the morning. Fuller's had also installed an alarm that calls them, but my old freeze alarm called us first. Best $100 I've ever spent.

T.H.E. Binz
03-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Why not just phone the NH Elec. Co-op or go on their website? They have been selling low temperature alarm systems for years. The simplest one phones you when the temperature is below your programmed set point.