PDA

View Full Version : Dive Light

secondcurve
09-06-2012, 06:01 PM
I like to snorke in the lake in the summer. When I get in 10-15 feet of water I can't see the bottom. How far down could I see with a decent dive light ($200-300). Any recommendations on a dive light brand?

Diver1111
09-06-2012, 08:58 PM
I use Princetons-own 4 of them; 2 are rechargable and cost $225 each complete with case, battery and charger; All are halogen and cast a big clean white light; I see no point in you paying more than $100-$200.

As to how far you can see that's a function of water clarity and light brightness. I don't know how long you can hold your breath or how deep you go but I'm not convinced you need one at all. If you do I know from long experience that Princeton is outstanding on warranty issues-never ever any lip from them. They just take care of business. I don't have many claims at all but having been diving decades and owning 4 it's not surprising I have had them fail. When they do it's the trigger mechanism-the switch-that goes. And I dive in environments that are alot more demanding than snorkeling. I really like them.

Also get bright yellow or lime green not blue or another shell color. If you drop it it's alot easier to find. Hope it helps.

SharkBaitDiving
09-07-2012, 01:34 PM
I have Princeton's, Hollis, no names, etc.... I personally favor the newer LEDs. my new Hollis LED 3 is very compact, well made, and gives off some great light in a little compact unit. Hollis just came out with the LED 4 too with 300 lumens but shorter battery life. My Hollis LED 3 ran me about $120.00. Good luck but I agree, snorkling you shouldn't need a light..........

secondcurve
09-07-2012, 07:15 PM
So if I am in snorkeling in 20 feet of water and my visibility is 10 feet without a light adding a light will not let me see further down?