PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Painted Turtles in Wolfeboro

Airedale1
04-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Plenty of them out and about already. I spotted these today in Wolfeboro at Abenaki Pond.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/Airedale1/Turtles.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/Airedale1/Turtle.jpg

tis
04-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Abenaki pond??? Do you mean the swamp in front of the skate and ski area? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

kchadw
04-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Are these the same as " red eared slider " turtles...? I remember these turtles when I was a kid in New England...we called em, " sun turtles "...

Have a pet "red eared slider here in Fla. ( yep, a pet ) found him about five or more years ago crawling across my driveway..He ( I think ) was about the size of a quarter...grabbed him up before the birds made a meal of him...and have had him in a fish tank ever since..He's about the size of an open fist from a large hand now...Goes everywhere with us...more miles on him than any turtle I know of...been from Key West to Northern N.H. many times in our motor home with our two dogs..

He's part of the family....gets kinda sloshed around on bumpy roads...but handles it ok...and when we put him, in his tank, on the dash of the motor home..he loves to look all around...

We call him " BUBBA "

Greene's Basin Girl
04-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Are these the same as " red eared slider " turtles...? I remember these turtles when I was a kid in New England...we called em, " sun turtles "...

Have a pet "red eared slider here in Fla. ( yep, a pet ) found him about five or more years ago crawling across my driveway..He ( I think ) was about the size of a quarter...grabbed him up before the birds made a meal of him...and have had him in a fish tank ever since..He's about the size of an open fist from a large hand now...Goes everywhere with us...more miles on him than any turtle I know of...been from Key West to Northern N.H. many times in our motor home with our two dogs..

He's part of the family....gets kinda sloshed around on bumpy roads...but handles it ok...and when we put him, in his tank, on the dash of the motor home..he loves to look all around...

We call him " BUBBA " I hope you find me if I am reincarnated and come back as a turtle. What an interesting story!

kchadw
04-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Would you believe it, we were camping a week or so ago...My wife came up with the idea of duct taping the dog leash to the top of " Bubbas " shell and take him for a walk...! I wouldn't let her do it....ha ha...

We have a kind of two level stone thingie in his tank, and he sometimes climbs up on it and spreads out his head, tail and all four legs...We think, he's practicing his surfing technique....!

Airedale1
04-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Are these the same as " red eared slider " turtles...? I remember these turtles when I was a kid in New England...we called em, " sun turtles "...Have a pet "red eared slider here in Fla. ( yep, a pet ) found him about five or more years ago crawling across my driveway..He ( I think ) was about the size of a quarter

No, they are a different species than the Red Sliders. Also, you were right on the money regarding the size of the babies.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/Airedale1/Baby.jpg

HomeWood
04-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Cool photo!

I used to have baby painted and baby snappers as pets in a big tank when I was a kid. Filters, sand, gold fish...the works. I let them go after they grew a bit.

shoppes on the bay
04-21-2012, 12:16 PM
our 5 year old dwarf cherryhead tortoise having a nice soak in the sink - :D

Jonas Pilot
04-21-2012, 12:43 PM
It's good to see a pet helping with the dishes.