PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS lake maps

lakershaker
12-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Happy Holidays everyone-
I got a Garmin etrex Vista handheld GPS from Santa, and want to know if anyone out there has purchased the Mapsource U.S. Recreational Lakes software to use with it. The basic maps included with the receiver are just that - very basic. The add-on mapsource info is supposed to provide more detailed info, but wanted to check with the forum and see if anyone would recommend it before shelling out the extra $$$. Thanks, and can't wait for ice-out!
Lakershaker

Frank
12-28-2004, 12:15 PM
I have a Garmin with the Rec Lakes - East map - it works very well. To make it work great, you need to buy and load the waypoints file from Bizer, which has all the markers in it. The combination of the two is excellent.

-Frank

Silver Duck
12-28-2004, 08:03 PM
Garmin's MapSource Topo product has a fairly decent image of the lake, too.With Bizer's way point file it's workable (but still not up to the C-map chip of Bizer's map).

Silver Duck

upthesaukee
12-28-2004, 10:35 PM
I have a Magellen GPS and have C-map's Lake Winni map loaded into it. I have also loaded Bizer's waypoint file, certainly well worth the money and time saved (thanks, Bizer). However, you still need the chart for two reasons... man cannot survive on GPS alone, and the waypoint file does not have all the markers. I believe you will find it has all the Flashing buoys, and many of the spar buoys, but it does not have all the markers. It does have some "safe passage" waypoints that will help keep you on the wet side of the lake's shoreline, such as the waypoint to the east of Sandy Point, west of Echo Point, east of Little Mark, east of Rattlesnake and NW of Ship, etc.

I have added some of the waypoints not included in Bizer's file, such as the black tip marker off the SE end of Treasure Island.

The use of the waypoint file is a great tool, but must be used in conjuction with a chart, with a knowledge of the lake, and most of all with a degree of caution. Proper use of these tools will make for a more enjoyable boating experience.:)

Frank
12-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Well said.

I always use my Bizer chart in conjunction with my GPS and Bizer waypoints.

gtxrider
12-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Can you use GPS to calculate speed? I have seen several boating shows on TV and I think in the tests they use a GPS to figure the speed of the boat.

Frank
12-29-2004, 09:21 AM
My GPS does show the boat's speed, as well as heading, altitude (not so interesting for a boat :) ), etc. If my GPS is correct, my speedometer is off about 2 MPH!

gtxrider
12-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Frank, you can measure the size of the WAKES from the BIG boats using altitude.

Thanks for the reply!

Frank
12-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Frank, you can measure the size of the WAKES from the BIG boats using altitude.

LOL - With the WAAS on, the accuracy on these units is better than 10 feet at times... I sometimes think some of the wakes I've seen are in that size range!!!Well, maybe not, but when I am in my little Sunfish, they sure look like it!!! No GPS on that boat, though.

Bizer
01-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Can you use GPS to calculate speed?

Yes. A GPS receiver is better than any consumer-grade device for measuring speed. It is probably accurate to about 0.3 MPH (Less than 0.2 MPH with WAAS).