PDA

View Full Version : Tall rider

bobio
11-16-2011, 01:37 PM
I am 6'4" and am thinking about getting a new sled this year. I currently ride an 04 Polaris 800 touring and find myself to be very uncomfortable after about half an hour of riding. Can anyone recommend a machine that gives more room between the seat and the floor boards. My legs get real tired and a machine that has more of a dirt bike posture would make my riding experience much more fun.

ishoot308
11-16-2011, 01:59 PM
I am 6'4" and am thinking about getting a new sled this year. I currently ride an 04 Polaris 800 touring and find myself to be very uncomfortable after about half an hour of riding. Can anyone recommend a machine that gives more room between the seat and the floor boards. My legs get real tired and a machine that has more of a dirt bike posture would make my riding experience much more fun.

Ski-Doo's Rev and Rev XP platform definitely offer a more forward riding position than others, similar to the dirt bike posture you are looking for. When I first got my Doo a few years ago I was not sure I would like this position. I had been riding Arctic Cats for years and they have a very standard laid back reclining chair like position. Once I got the Doo, I found I could ride all day without discomfort. I also find the forward position to be much more reactive on aggressive trail riding. The Ski Doo fits me extremely well and it is the most comfortable sled to ride I have owned. BTW, I have a 2009 Ski-Doo MXZ Adrenaline Etec.

Good Luck!!

Dan

Belmont Resident
11-16-2011, 06:03 PM
With that long frame if you do choose Skidoo you might look into the Renegade. It has a longer 136 inch track which seems to ride the bumps a lot better than the 121 inch track sleds do. I'm 6 feet tall with back problems and the Rev XP platform is an awsome sled.
Good luck, I've been riding Skidoo's since my first sled in 96. I'm not a big brand loyal rider like some are with all the color coordinated riding cloths, but I've never had a reason to leave Skidoo. I believe there reliability is 2nd to none.
My wife and I rode 4200 miles last year in Maine and that was 800 miles less then the year before, you don't ride that kind of milage on uncomfortable sleds.
Good luck.

ITD
11-16-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm also wondering the same thing as bobo, I'm looking to see if another sled would be more comfortable. I'm 6 feet, about 195 pounds. I have a Arctic cat pantera 600 that I ride regularly along with a Panther 550. Both 2 seat sleds. I was thinking of getting a Ski Doo single seat because it would be lighter and maybe more comfortable, but I met a guy a few weeks ago who said my sleds would be better as the ski doos are set up to go fast. Now I'm confused and maybe the fatigue thing is just from getting older......

searay220
11-16-2011, 07:09 PM
I have the same sleds a Pantera 600 and Panther 570. I drive the Pantera and I have been told by dozens of people that they don't come anymore comfortable that this one. I am 6-4 and very comfortable on the pantera. I did adjust the handle bars upwards which gave me a lot more room. I no longer hit my knees in a sharp turn.

MAXUM
11-16-2011, 09:52 PM

OK here is my advice. Folks that are into snowmobiling tend to be brand snobs, ignore that. You have to look at this objectively and think of it more oh finding a wife. There is someone for everyone but let's face it how many guys have you seen married to woman who you say I could never in a million years deal with that, yet for the next person she's all that. Ok ladies that read this, it's the same thing with husbands too.. ;)

Sleds are the same way it's all about what fits YOU not everyone else or the so called experts. Before you go dropping 10K+ on a new machine I would suggest going out and taking each one out for a ride and not just for a quick spin in the parking lot, I mean ride on all day, so in other words rent one or borrow one from somebody that you know. You may think going into this one way (IE I think I like a more aggressive riding stance) and after a real world experience walk away with a much different opinion. Won't know till you try it. So get out there and give each machine an objective chance, you may surprise yourself at what fits you best.

I would also suggest going with somebody that is willing to set suspension up specifically for YOU. That can make a HUGE difference in the way the machine rides and handles.

Hey I'm a Polaris guy always have been, but honestly I've ridden just about every new sled the past few years at the snodeo and if I were to buy new today, I'd be running down and buying a Yamaha.

Irrigation Guy
11-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Rider forward sled and a boss seat is what works for me. Boss has hi-rise seats that put a bit of distance between you and the running boards. Makes standing for those rough sections of trail soo much easier.

Funny the front page of their website shows all the riders standing. LOL>

http://www.bossseats.com/

Belmont Resident
11-17-2011, 05:36 PM
The most important thing you need to know is what kind of riding do YOU want to do. When you buy keep that in mind and don't get swayed.
If you want a sled to get you out on the lake to ice fish some of the time then I'd recommend a fan cooled sled over any liquid cooled model.
I do agree mith maxum on the Yamaha for trails. But don't plan on doing any off trail exploring, you will find out real quick just how heavy that 4 stroke is.