PDA

View Full Version : Winterization

XCR-700
10-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Well now that we have crossed into October I winterization question; anyone here have a newer Mercruiser with the air pump port for winterizing?

And if so are you just blowing it down or still running RV antifreeze through your engines?

Mine is a 2007 350 MPI/Bravo 1 and this is the first time I have even seen this system and I am giving serious consideration to having a dealer do the winterization.

Any recommendations for dealers in southern NH or NorthEast MA???

Still hoping to get out again, but planning ahead.

Thanks

robmac
10-01-2011, 08:36 AM
I have always run RV anti-freeze through the engine and drive with a homemade device I have. The RV anti freeze is safe and inexpensive. Then I open the six drains on the engine and risers let it drain and done for another winter. The only other thing I forgot to mention is I first run it up to temp with the drive in a bucket which I add CLR to and the color that comes out the first minute or so yuk. Good luck but if the weather cooperates maybe a couple of more rides on the water.

MAXUM
10-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Well now that we have crossed into October I winterization question; anyone here have a newer Mercruiser with the air pump port for winterizing?

And if so are you just blowing it down or still running RV antifreeze through your engines?

Mine is a 2007 350 MPI/Bravo 1 and this is the first time I have even seen this system and I am giving serious consideration to having a dealer do the winterization.

Any recommendations for dealers in southern NH or NorthEast MA???

Still hoping to get out again, but planning ahead.

Thanks

I always put antifreeze in mine, probably not necessary considering I fully drain the engine block and risers, plus it's stored in an insulated garage over the winter, but even so it's piece of mind knowing that if any little bit of water didn't drain out, the antifreeze will take care of it. I back fill the engine and stern drive which is very easy to do. On top of the engine right in front you'll see 4 hoses that all come together into a what I like to call a distribution area, pull all 4 hoses and back fill them until full/overflowing then put them back on clamp them and you're done. One of those goes back to the stern drive so I put antifreeze in that until it starts coming out the intake ports on the side of the drive unit. Very simple procedure and takes only about 10 minutes to do. I do use the RV stuff which is ready to pour and non-toxic. my 4.3L takes about 2.5 gallons total. If the boat is being stored outside or someplace where it's going to be cold enough to hard freeze it's worth putting antifreeze in it IMHO.

NoBozo
10-01-2011, 03:12 PM
This is the same method I use on a 5.7L. Drain the block then pour in the anti freeze as described above. The 5.7L V8 takes about 4 gallons and will start to run out of the outdrive water intakes and thru transom exhaust when it's full.

The other BIG reason to use anti freeze is it coats the cooling passages in the engine and drive and provides corrosion protection over the winter. :) NB