PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Crappies?

Flyfisha
08-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Any crappie fishermen out there?? Where are they found in Winni? And what is the best bait/method to catch them?? I have fished for them in southern NH and love to eat them. I heard they are in certain areas of Winnepesaukee but really didn't know where to start. Thanks

RLW
08-04-2011, 05:53 AM
Any crappie fishermen out there?? Where are they found in Winni? And what is the best bait/method to catch them?? I have fished for them in southern NH and love to eat them. I heard they are in certain areas of Winnepesaukee but really didn't know where to start. Thanks

I have a couple on the back of my tee shirt and located in Alton Bay. Does that help??http://i43.tinypic.com/53pooj.gif

Flyfisha
06-04-2013, 05:47 AM
Thought I would bring this post up again and see if anyone out there is willing to share some serious ideas about crappie fishing on the lake!! I would love to catch a few this summer!

topwater
06-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Green's basin in loaded with them, right before the no wake zone going in, there is a hole on the left hand side that usually holds them. Once you get into the basin, you will see a rock pile on your left hand side. If you went past the rocks and went into the middle between the rocks and far shoreline, you will also find a nice hole that usually holds them as well.

Real fishing
06-05-2013, 08:44 AM
I have bass fished at the Long Island bridge for a few years now and every once in a while I would catch a crappie. They hit worms lures and everything else in between. If you are looking to target them use a 4 inch Yamamoto worm hooked wacky style
. Watermelon with red flake. If the fish doesn't hit it on the way down then a few jigs should do it.

Flyfisha
06-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Looking forward to headed that way from Rattlesnake!! If you ever get a chance try them!! They fillet out great and taste as well!

dt5150
06-06-2013, 07:57 AM
imo, crappies are the best tasting fresh water fish, hands down.

Flyfisha
07-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Made my way up to Green Basin last week. It took almost an hour from Rattlesnake and thanks to my Bizer chart! Hit crappies in the basin and had a great dinner of deep fried fish bites!!:liplick:

topwater
07-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Glad I was able to steer you in the right direction...

Shreddy
07-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Is there a difference between sunfish and crappies? If not, we have plenty around the Green's Basin side of the lake as mentioned.

hilltopper
07-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Is there a difference between sunfish and crappies? If not, we have plenty around the Green's Basin side of the lake as mentioned.

Yes, two different fish.

SIKSUKR
07-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Actully, crappie are in the sunfish family as are the rock bass and large mouth bass.

topwater
07-09-2013, 03:30 PM
YES, they are 2 different fish. You fish for them differently, they are much larger the sunfish, taste alot better then sun fish, and really the do not resemble a sunfish very much. You can find crappie up to a couple of pounds in winnie and your correct, they make a fine dinner. Some crappie are the size of a good size smallmouth bass.

So IMHO, they are very, very different fish...

Hope this helps...