PDA

View Full Version : Engine Hoist Loner or Rental?

bkgoodman
08-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Any have/know of a place where I could get a loaner or rental of an engine hoist?

(I'm in Nashua)

I thought auto parts places had free loners of them - but none that I have found do.

Any pointers? (The cheaper the better! ;) )

lawn psycho
08-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Cheap options:

1. If you can tow boat find a place with a fork lift. Get some chains. Hand them $10 and be on your way.

2. If you have access to garage and boat will fit into that has exposed rafters, rig up pulleys with some support boards across them and hoist away.

3. Go to auto garage that you know and have them lift out for you and they will easily mount it on the stand.

Dave R
08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
There's one for sale (as of yesterday) on craigslist in Nashua for 100 bucks. Buy it, use it, sell it.

NoBozo
08-01-2011, 02:51 PM
I bought a 2 Ton engine hoist from Pep Boys a couple of years ago for $125. It's the hydraulic crane type with extendable boom and steel casters on the bottom of the folding frame. Fully extended it will lift 1000 pounds. I have no idea HOW they could ship that weight of steel (and make money) from wherever it was made...never mind the labor and materials. It's quite well made.

I've never hoisted an engine with it, but bought it just for lifting my 85 pound Out Drive on and off the boat every season. NB

It looks JUST like this one sold by Sears: (Buffalo Tools)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=engine%20hoist&vName=Tools&prop17=engine%20hoist

OR: Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-foldable-shop-crane-35915.html

EDIT: There's a Pep Boys in Nashua. :)

bkgoodman
08-01-2011, 03:51 PM
There's one for sale (as of yesterday) on craigslist in Nashua for 100 bucks. Buy it, use it, sell it.

Thanks - I'm going down to look at it tonight! ;)

patman
08-01-2011, 03:54 PM
I bought a 2 Ton engine hoist from Pep Boys a couple of years ago for $125. It's the hydraulic crane type with extendable boom and steel casters on the bottom of the folding frame. Fully extended it will lift 1000 pounds.

Me too. This one? Make sure you buy a load-leveler too.

http://www.bracketracer.com/engine/install/inwithnew01.jpg

I have no idea HOW they could ship that weight of steel (and make money) from wherever it was made...never mind the labor and materials. It's quite well made.

Labor, shmabor. China works cheap. :(

Sunset Bob
08-01-2011, 03:59 PM
3 long pieces of pipe and a come-along

Sunset Bob
08-01-2011, 04:03 PM
I have had this set up in a lake to change motor mounts in a Correct Craft

NoBozo
08-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Me too. This one? Make sure you buy a load-leveler too.

http://www.bracketracer.com/engine/install/inwithnew01.jpg

Labor, shmabor. China works cheap. :(

YUP: That's the one. $125 at Pep Boys. NO Freight charges. :D NB

bkgoodman
08-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Impressive photo!

It looks pretty much like the one I just got on Craigslist - $100!

-BKG

VitaBene
08-02-2011, 05:11 AM
Depending on the height of your boat, often a hoist made for a boat will not work (was the case with me). I have always used a fork truck or tractor.

I used Marshalls for the long block marinized 350 for my boat. Free delivery in NE as well. http://marshallsmachine.com/

DBreskin
08-02-2011, 05:19 AM
Another easy solution is to call a tow truck. The operator can back up to your boat and lift out the engine in a few minutes and the rate is negotiable, probably less than $40, and you're not left with an engine hoist you don't need again taking up space.

Blue Thunder
08-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Depending on the height of your boat, often a hoist made for a boat will not work (was the case with me). I have always used a fork truck or tractor.

I used Marshalls for the long block marinized 350 for my boat. Free delivery in NE as well. http://marshallsmachine.com/

VB beat me to it. I don't think that hoist in the picture will lift high enough to get the engine out of the boat.

BT

Cal
08-02-2011, 10:08 AM
I have your standard type automotive cherry picker but it wasn't high enough to get the engine out of my boat. Modified it by adding the black extension to increase height an works great.

VitaBene
08-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Nice Formula Cal- love twins!! Except when it comes time to rebuilding them!

NoBozo
08-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Nice MOD to that hoist Cal. Did you Fab it yourself or have it done. I would think you could sell that MOD as a bolt on Kit. Again: Nice Job. :) NB

bkgoodman
08-02-2011, 05:56 PM
I have your standard type automotive cherry picker but it wasn't high enough to get the engine out of my boat. Modified it by adding the black extension to increase height an works great.

Nice!!!!:cool:

Blue Thunder
08-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Nice Formula Cal- love twins!! Except when it comes time to rebuilding them!

Agreed...very nice Formula. I have a close friend with a '91 242 with just 400 original hours. I love the older style Formulas.....

BT

lawn psycho
08-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Since we're talking building motors, here's the work in progress. Will be ready in time for the Smokin Stangs car show in September :D

Cal
08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Nice MOD to that hoist Cal. Did you Fab it yourself or have it done. I would think you could sell that MOD as a bolt on Kit. Again: Nice Job. :) NB

I came up with the idea after borrowing a friends very awkward A frame many times. Another
friend who's a welder torched it up for me. It does bolt on so it can still be used as designed for a car.

Cal
08-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Agreed...very nice Formula. I have a close friend with a '91 242 with just 400 original hours. I love the older style Formulas.....

BT

My 272 has 250 hours on the engines and near 1000 on the boat:) Haven't checked that meter in a while.

DBreskin
08-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Since we're talking building motors, here's the work in progress. Will be ready in time for the Smokin Stangs car show in September :D

Does the breaker bar in the valley improve performance? :)

Irrigation Guy
08-03-2011, 07:17 PM

Looks like a torque wrench to me....:D

Cal, love to mod to the engine hoist too!

lawn psycho
08-04-2011, 01:02 AM

Torque wrench;) Can't put on roller rockers without it. Well, I guess you could but don't recommend it.

Can't wait to get home to git'er dun as it's ready to go back into car......

Over 100 days on the road already this year:eek: