PDA

View Full Version : How long can I leave my boat in??

Old Hubbard Rd
10-23-2004, 09:12 PM
How long can I leave my boat in?? I have a small 17' I/O. It would be nice to extend the season although I do not want to cause my boat any problems. Thanks

PaulS
10-24-2004, 07:17 AM
Your boat is actually safer in the water than on a trailer, as long as the water is well above freezing (it was 55 last Thursday according to the Water Temp link). I would consider pulling the boat once the water temp got into the mid 40's, but then Winterize the engine right away.

camp guy
10-24-2004, 08:54 AM
You have asked the age-old question. Boaters want to wring out the very last drop of boating before storage, but, if you wait too long the weather could cause a problem. My solution, and this is not original with me, is to take your boat out late in the season on a very good day, do your winterizing, and any other waterfront associated activities (putting away dock equipment, etc.) in very good weather, and then have pleasant memories of your last boating experience of the season rather doing all this in the bitter cold or worse and having unpleasant memories during the winter. Personally, my boat is out, and on a nice day I really get withdrawal symptoms. Merry Christmas.

jrc
10-24-2004, 09:34 AM
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=489&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=512

fatlazyless
10-24-2004, 12:21 PM
I plan on leaving my Suzuki outboard in until the 1st week of january. No freeze-up, no starting problem and great gas mileage. Suzuki rules, ahem!

glennsteely
10-25-2004, 04:46 AM
boy, that boat owner is in trouble, i would hate to be him......we always took our boats out the last week of october. no specific reason, except we had to come from jersey to our cottage and halloween week was when we closed it up for the winter also. i have never witnessed ice in or ice out, but i am sure it changes every year. that advice was good, do it before it gets too cold and you can enjoy the memories and labor.......oops! please excuse the all caps....i am still sleepy......

Caruso
10-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Glennsteely, this was a picture I took this Spring the day of ice out. We made it to Cow Island on Saturday without much trouble and Sunday a very warm wind picked up and pushed a bunch of ice into our cove, there was no ice in the cove on Saturday. My wife commented that the cove looked like a giant Frozen Margarita. The ice was millions of single shavings about 6 inches long and extremly pointy and sharp. When the wind blew the ice made a jingling sound that was like a hundred wind chimes. (Thought you might want to see what an ice out looks like.)

BroadHopper
10-25-2004, 08:14 AM
If you have an outboard, you can leave the boat in the water till you the ice starts forming. Outboards generally drains the cooling system water back into the lake so it is not a problem. An inboard or I/O is different. The cooling system do not drain. Keeping the boat in the water will extend the season as the warm water will provide some protection from the frost. If the temperature drops to the point that the lake warmth cannot provide protection then there is a problem of motor damaged from freezing.
Island owners keep outboards in the water till the water starts freezing. The Minge Cove boat pictured shows snow cover. I bet he did not check his boat and the boat filled with water. It is important that you check for water or have someone check it for you. :)

ghoti
10-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Outboards do drain the water out, but as long as they're still actually in the water, they don't drain completely. Even with the lake temp above freezing, it's still possible for the water in the engine to freeze as it's more subject to the air temp and the temp of the the engine, than the lake. I'd be real careful. If you crack anything and it start's leaking into the lake, not only do you have a repair bill, you're also liable for an environmental fine.

Good luck.

glennsteely
10-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the pic..... and the info....

upthesaukee
10-25-2004, 09:53 PM
Check your boat insurance. Policies may contain a navigation clause that limits the coverage to a certain period, with the end of coverage usually being the end of October. No coverage for any damage from Nov 1 to Apr 1 if in the water.

SPANKY
10-26-2004, 05:29 AM
hey caruso, nice flamingos!!!!!

ghoti
10-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Check your boat insurance. Policies may contain a navigation clause that limits the coverage to a certain period, with the end of coverage usually being the end of October. No coverage for any damage from Nov 1 to Apr 1 if in the water.

Excellent point! I recently got my new policy and realized that they have me launching no earlier than Jun 1 and pulling it out no later than Sept 30.
I always launch in mid May and pull it out in mid October. I'll be calling them soon to change it.