PDA

View Full Version : Lochmere Golf and Country Club - Never Again

Sully
07-03-2011, 11:31 AM
As a Lakes Region resident entertaining guests for the 4th of July weekend, I thought I should do my best to honor the last minute request of one of my guests to play golf at the Lochmere Golf and Country Club this morning. Not having a tee time, I knew we would need to arrive very early so as to guarantee the opportunity to play. My guest and I arrived at 5:50 this morning to find the pro shop door locked and only one person present and wiping off golf cart seats. He said "the guy gets here at 6am." He also said he should be able to get you out without a tee time. At 6AM the Pro Shop opened and we were basically ignored until I asked can you get a twosome out with a cart for 18? To my surprise, we were asked a question I've never been asked in 30 years of golfing. "How do you guys play?" Needless to say, we did not answer the question. We were also told that Lochmere is the third best course in the state. Not sure why that was said....I just wanted to play...... we were then told that the phone is ringing off the hook for tee times......yet at the moment we were the ONLY potential golfers on the premises. Finally we were told that the starter would be upset if we were allowed on the course to play. At that moment I said "if you can't get us out there...you can't get us out there..." I then walked out with my guest, only to be followed into the parking lot with an employee stating that they could get us out in 25 minutes. I said no thank you and off we went to Lakeview where we were warmly welcomed and treated with respect, dignity, and
appreciation. My guest was amazed at the treatment we received at Lochmere. I was and I am embarrassed and appalled. I still can not figure out why we were treated the way we were. I want any interested golfers to know that I believe there are many other golf courses that appreciate and deserve your business. For one, I WILL NEVER PATRONIZE LOCHMERE GOLF OR RESTAURANT AGAIN. They do not represent the otherwise universal Lakes Region standard for consumer appreciation and service.

jmen24
07-13-2011, 10:59 AM
How you play is a fairly reasonable question. If he was going to squeeze you into a slot that he probably didn't really have at that time of the morning. The last thing he wants to hear is the groups behind you complaining that you were chasing balls all over the course and slowing everyone else down. Lochmere was not a good choice on your part for a last minute game. You choose them over any other course for a reason, you wanted to impress your guest. Lochmere is a semi-private course that is always in great shape.

Something tells me that part of this conversation is missing.

upthesaukee
07-13-2011, 06:07 PM
...We belonged to Lochmere, and they, like many other courses, have a minimum starting time and no one goes off earlier. The reason is that at Lochmere, as well as many other courses, the grounds crew is out (yes even on a Sunday) mowing the greens, and in some cases cutting new hole placements. By not allowing golfers out early, they are able to complete their work without interuption, and the golfers who head out with the first tee times have a round that is uninterupted by maintenance guys working on greens or smoothing traps.

Sully, sorry you didn't have a good experience, and I hope that you do call sometime and get a tee time, go play and enjoy.

PS. I now play at Farmington CC in Farmington, and we have the same restrictions as far as tee times are concerned, and no one, including shareholders, until the appointed start tee time.

Play well.

robert beaudoin
09-23-2011, 05:08 AM
For over 10 years I have had the pleasure of playing Lochmere. The staff and grounds crew have always been friendly and accomodating to everyone that I know that plays there. The golf Pro Vic Stanfield goes out of his way to insure each person receives a warm welcome and the starter insures that the groups are scheduled to maintain a smooth playing distance from the group in front of them. The groundskeepers are attentive to the players and maintain the course in an impeccable condition. Lochmere is challenging and has certainly a scenic couse layout. Try playing in the fall after October 1 and enjoy the fall colors of which New England is famous for. There are stated hours of operation and calling ahead for tee times only ensures that you will be able to join in the pleasure of playing Lochmere. The course and greens are well maintained and rank among the top 3 golf courses in the area.