PDA

View Full Version : Woman attacked by bear.

Jonas Pilot
05-23-2011, 08:57 AM
CENTER HARBOR, N.H. -- A woman was hurt when she was attacked by a bear near her Center Harbor home, the fire chief said.
Center Harbor Fire Chief John Schlemmer said the woman was outside with her dog at about 9:30 p.m. Sunday when the attack occurred.
The victim, whose name was not released, was taken by ambulance to the Lakes Region General Hospital in Laconia, but Schlemmer said her injuries were not serious.
The circumstances of the attack are unclear.
Schlemmer told the Laconia Citizen the bear escaped into the woods.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/27989089/detail.html#ixzz1NBVd8ihx

http://www.wmur.com/news/27989089/detail.html

Slickcraft
05-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Here is a WMUR update.

Should anyone ever have such an encounter, stand your ground; don't do the instinctive turn and run. Almost all times the bear will then leave if you stand your ground but in any case you can't outrun a bear. If attacked by a black bear, fight back. Good she only got swatted on the shoulder.

A woman was hurt when she was attacked by a bear near her Center Harbor home Saturday night.
Jacqueline Berghorn, 57, said she had seen a bear in the area recently, and usually her dog barks and won't go outside when it's around. But on Saturday at about 9 p.m., the dog was barking but kept going onto the back patio.
Berghorn went outside and saw the bear and immediately turned to run back inside when she said the bear pounced and swatted at her shoulder.
"He charged me, probably not to physically charge me, but in fear of where am I going to go," she said.
She was knocked down face-first, and her head hit the sliding glass door.
Berghorn said her dog went after the bear and distracted it while she went inside. She said the bear fell 8 feet from the patio but didn't go away.
"I'm screaming, 'Bear, bear bear, get the gun!" she said.
Her husband grabbed a shotgun and fired two warning shots, which scared it off. Berghorn then called 911.
She was taken to the hospital with bruising on her back, bumps on her head and bruising on her hand from the fall.
She said she doesn't feel like the bear intended to harm her, because its claws would have been out, and it doesn't appear that they were.
The New Hampshire Fish and Game department estimated that the bear was between 180 and 200 pounds.
The bear has also been blamed for killing chickens nearby over the weekend and severely injuring a dog, Berghorn said.

Seeker
05-23-2011, 09:24 PM
NH Fish and Game now intends to find the bear and euthanize it. Like they say "a fed bear is a dead bear". Apparently her ex neighbors had been feeding bears, A big no-no.

I had an encounter with one last year that walked up to my bird feeder before I took it in for the night. I did the usual hollering and waving arms but all he/she did was stand up and look at me. I finally fired a shot by its feet and it turned and ambled away. Not phased at all. Yeah, I know you're not supposed to have bird feeders out from April til November but our birds don't agree.