PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for my Depth Gauge

WGW Tuftonboro
05-16-2011, 02:47 PM
My depth gauge went on my boat. Are there any good wireless systems that are effective?

chillininnh
05-16-2011, 03:00 PM
If there is a wireless option I'm not aware of one. What brand is the gauge that failed? Transom mount transducer or thru-hull? Does it stand alone or is it built into the factory dash?

WGW Tuftonboro
05-16-2011, 03:03 PM
I believe it is transom mount and it is a factory gauge in dash - 1995 Four Winns

chillininnh
05-17-2011, 07:28 AM
It's tough to give a good recommendation without seeing it. Often times the factory simply installs there own bezel over a popular gauge manufacturers gauge. Is it clear that the gauge has failed or is it possible the transducer or transducer cable has been compromised? Is it a traditional gauge standing alone on the dash(2 5/16" round) or is it imbedded in a custom panel (I have seen these in Cobalts)?

lawn psycho
05-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Pretty sure you have a Faria depth gauge. Is the gauge dead with no read out and back lighting or just reading wacky?

http://www.faria-instruments.com/depthsounder.php

You can either call your dealer or Four Winns to get the Faria model. Go on website to get the connection diagram. It may be in your manual but I'm on road so can't check mine to see if it's in there.

Do you have voltmeter (and ideally a little DC power supply?).

Start at connection under the dash. Pull it off an reconnect to make sure you have solid contacts. If connection is good, it's either wiring, transducer, or guage.

You need to get the model number to find what voltage input the gauge is to see if you can get it to read over the range. You need DC power supply to do this. Without knowing voltage range not sure if a C or D cell batter will work.

To check the wiring between gauge and transducer you need to check contunuity. Short one end of wires together and measure resistance at other end. Should be near zero. If you get easy access to transducer you can get good look at it to see if wiring is bad, corroded, etc. Sometimes just cleaning contacts and connections gets it working again.

Hard to give you step by step without knowing how savvy you are with troubleshooting wiring. If you take pictures we can walk you through it. Not hard. Cheerio....

NoBozo
05-18-2011, 10:53 AM
For what it's worth: A depth sounder will not work if the boat is OUT of the water. The transducer is designed to send signals through water..not air.

Also, when the boat has been out of the water for any length of time..say all winter, the down facing surface of the transducer may have to be "wetted" for it to work imediately. Smear a dab of dish washing liquid on face of the transducer just before launching. :) NB