PDA

View Full Version : Boat key?

bigdog
05-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Anyone know where I can have a boat key made? A typical standard ignition key for boat.

Have already been to Lowe's, Home Depot, Trustworthy Hardware, to name a few sources.

Even went to several marinas', and nobody either has these or can make them.

Only other source I haven't tried yet is a locksmith. I suspect for the cost a locksmith would charge, I may be able to buy a whole new ignition switch, with keys from marina or WestMarine for same price ?

Suggestions appreciated !

Thanks,
BD

NoRegrets
05-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Call Irwin Marine. They did have a key machine.

jrc
05-12-2011, 03:00 PM
The marina told me to go to this guy for a boat cabin key:

Bob's Lock & Key
(603) 524-4590
263 Court St, Laconia, NH 03246

I haven't yet, my BIL the locksmith said the engine keys were easy to copy, same blanks as a filing cabinet. The cabin key was a mobella/southco blank than no one has.

I can't imagine a locksmith charging more than $5-10 for a key if he has the blanks.

Irrigation Guy
05-12-2011, 03:08 PM
The marina told me to go to this guy for a boat cabin key:

Bob's Lock & Key
(603) 524-4590
263 Court St, Laconia, NH 03246

I haven't yet, my BIL the locksmith said the engine keys were easy to copy, same blanks as a filing cabinet. The cabin key was a mobella/southco blank than no one has.

I can't imagine a locksmith charging more than $5-10 for a key if he has the blanks.

X2 --- Bob's copied several keys for me for boats and boat cabins. It was only a couple bucks a key IIRC.

bigdog
05-12-2011, 03:31 PM
FYI, I have the original key, lost or misplaced backups.

NoRegrets: Went to Irwins in my travels, and they said they couldn't help or have tools to make keys. They recommneded "TrustWorthy" hardware, but they could not help.

Sounds like "Bob's Lock & Key" is the place to go.

Thanks,
BD

tis
05-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Bradley's Hardware in Wolfeboro makes keys. Keys like doors keys and the old style cars keys.

NHBUOY
05-12-2011, 07:32 PM
...x2Bob's...

Mr. Prop-B-Gone
07-12-2011, 07:58 PM
We bought a boat this spring (Bayliner) and had extra keys made at Aubuchon at the light on RT 25 in Moultonborough. I've had a lot of keys duplicated over the years there with no duds.

robmac
07-14-2011, 04:13 PM
What is the number on the key? Most originals come with a number and mine was lost many years ago and the marina went and just gave me one on the same number and problem solved.

NHBUOY
07-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Good point RM. I needed a new key for the family Wellcraft, and the key number matched a couple extra keys I had in my roll-away from the key switches on my power doors on the garages. Very common keys. Bob's is THE key guy if you must have one made tho. good luck matey.:laugh:

ApS
07-15-2011, 05:06 AM
my BIL the locksmith said the engine keys were easy to copy, same blanks as a filing cabinet.
Save all your filing-cabinet keys; oftentimes, those keys will give you access to many other locks.

Identical to a filing-cabinet key, I once had an "extinct" lawnmower key that opened my automobile trailer door. :eek2:

VitaBene
07-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Save all your filing-cabinet keys; oftentimes, those keys will give you access to many other locks.

Identical to a filing-cabinet key, I once had an "extinct" lawnmower key that opened my automobile trailer door. :eek2:

I can see your junk drawer now! We're not going to see you on hoarders are we?

ApS
07-19-2011, 03:10 AM
I can see your junk drawer now! We're not going to see you on hoarders are we?
You could, and it's not a drawer—it's an entire garage, filled with all kinds of glorious metal. :look:

I've melted brass keys—added flux—and welded together a wrought-iron door. It's arc-welded to three large hinges and a heavy angle-iron frame.

As an ultra-secure front door—with screening—its main feature is a brass Morning Glory, surrounded by heart-shaped leaves. Each welded feature is designed to keep intruders out, and our mini-dachshund "mighty-sled-dog-team-of three" in. :)