PDA

View Full Version : Lakes Region Class VI Roads for Jeep?

suge
04-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Hi All,

I have a stock 2004 Jeep Wrangler and would like to take my two young boys on a very mild off road adventure.

I have heard that there are many Class VI roads that are excellent for this type of activity, but have had little luck locating them in the area.

We live in Laconia and would like to stay in the County if possible.

Thanks in advance for any/all recommendations.

Shawn

Jonas Pilot
04-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Have you ever gone through the Sandwich Notch? That's a pretty neat trip. I'm not sure what class it is. It's not really off road but it's a great short jaunt in the woods.

RailroadJoe
04-18-2011, 04:57 PM
It is a good one lane dirt road. Check to see if it open. It gets closed for the winter. Comes out near Waterville Valley.

Slickcraft
04-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Shawn, you might do well to wait a little. It is still mud season out on many of the class VI roads. If you get that stock jeep stuck in the mud you will have to go looking for the logger with the skidder to pull you out. Maybe another two or three weeks.
PIck-up a NH DeLorme Atlas and go off exploring the back roads. Many turn into class VI but no two are alike and local knowledge is usually very helpful.

suge
04-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the replies - I researched Sandwich Notch and it sounds like a very nice ride.

I also appreciate the note about early Spring conditions, and agree that it would be wise to wait a while to allow things to dry out a bit more.

Shawn

jmen24
04-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Just be certain to check any mud holes in the trail (even in the summer season). Most of the rigs that run the trails around here rip the trails up pretty bad. A seemily simple mud hole can in fact swallow a stock rig, mostly because the tires cannot effectively eject mud from the treads.

It's really to bad as this is how good trails get closed or gated by towns.

Have fun with the Jeep. The kids will love it.

Look in the Gilmanton/Belmont/Canterbury area for some good trails as well.

MAXUM
04-19-2011, 12:32 PM
You can check out the Devil's Den area, it's used as an off road park for ATVs and dirt bikes, but is a fun place to play with a truck and do some mild wheeling. I haven't been in there in a while, used to hunt in there but with all the people in there on OHRV's it's pretty much ruined the deer hunting in there and far to dangerous. It was also pretty tore up in spots, although I believe that trail system is being maintained by a local ATV club - probably has thier hands full keeping the damage under control. You can access it off Rt 28 - turn onto Rines Rd and follow it past the brush dump and sand pit.

There are other access points too, that's the easiest to point you to.

suge
04-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Excellent advice and information, I really appreciate it.

We are very much looking forward to getting out there and exploring a bit.

What a great forum, it's this kind of information sharing that really enhances the experience of spending quality time in the Lakes Region!

Shawn

Major problem
04-22-2011, 06:22 PM
My first and best advice is to join a 4WD club.

One that I know of is: http://nea4wd.org/ You'll learn alot, you'll meet some great people, find places where you're welcome, and you won't have to go alone.

There are many good people that enjoy the activity and have respect for the areas that they're allowed to access. Unfortunately, they've been made unwelcome in many places due to the actions of a few.

The lakes region has had it's share of incidents in recent years where locked gates where destroyed (not the locks, whole gate assemblies ! )

Trails that are maintained by snowmobile and/or ATV clubs generally do so with the permission of the land owners and abutters according to formal agreements and often monitored by the Bureau of Trails. The landowners have the say about who and what may travel there. Most don't allow jeeps and trucks except for authorized maintenance activity.

These trails often utilize some class VI road as a portion of their trail system. A lot of old class VI roads now end up at private roads and trails.
Some signs may be damaged or missing. You may come upon some unlocked and open gates. That usually indicates an intent to restrict access. Anyone that has done trail maintenance has encountered "visitors" on the trail and, Murphy's law says its always a mile up the trail where there's no way to turn around and the trail is blocked by the back-hoe.

I know you're trying to do the right and responsible thing by asking here.

The reason I'm rambling on is that I'm an ATVer and I'm familiar with the folks from New Durham Valley ATV Club http://www.newdurhamvalleyatvclub.com/ that help maintain trails in the vicinity of Devil's Den/ Mount Caverly and it raised a red flag in my mind. It used to be a very popular area for 4WD jeeps and trucks.

I'm not sure, as it's been a while since I've researched the area, but the actual Devils Den may still be publically accessible while much of the surrounding area is now restricted.

Joining a 4WD club would be a good investment. I'm betting that many of their rides and activities are novice level and family oriented. Avoid mishaps and embarrasment. Go with some folks that actually know.

Enjoy.

GM doc
04-30-2011, 06:22 AM
Hi All,

I have a stock 2004 Jeep Wrangler and would like to take my two young boys on a very mild off road adventure.

I have heard that there are many Class VI roads that are excellent for this type of activity, but have had little luck locating them in the area.

We live in Laconia and would like to stay in the County if possible.

Thanks in advance for any/all recommendations.

Shawn

Pleasant Valley Road should be perfect for an off road drive without really leaving asphalt. If you make it to the end of the pavement on the Wolfeboro side, You will be all set to continue on over to Wakefield.
All on 1 road.