PDA

View Full Version : The Galley Closed?

AussieDog
04-07-2011, 01:57 PM
I was just told that The Galley had closed.

We were there a few weeks back and had the usual decent dinner. I did notice that there was a new expanded menu, so I was surprised to hear this.

Does anyone know if they will reopen or why they closed?

GUNNER
04-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I have heard Galley has closed for good. Lack of business & major renovations needed. Business has been up for sale for over a year.

AussieDog
04-07-2011, 04:33 PM
I truely enjoyed their fried scallopes.

Sorry to hear this.

Oh well... It's not like I can't get them anywhere else. When's Pop's opening?

pops
04-07-2011, 06:43 PM
We will be opening April 30th. It's been a long winter. Time to come out of hibernation and get to work! Our spring schudule is Fri.4-8p.m. Sat. 11-8
Sun.11-7.

Pop's

robmac
04-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks Pops, can't take the withdrawralls much longer. Hope you had a good rest and are ready for a busy season.

VitaBene
04-08-2011, 06:12 AM
I was just told that The Galley had closed.

We were there a few weeks back and had the usual decent dinner. I did notice that there was a new expanded menu, so I was surprised to hear this.

Does anyone know if they will reopen or why they closed?

Aussie, when I read your original post, it seemed like you answered your own question (bolded above)! In today's competitive market, decent will not get it done.

I hate seeing restaurants fail, but it is usually evident why they do so to the patrons of those places.

See you in the May, Pops!

AussieDog
04-08-2011, 09:22 AM
I seem to have a gift for understatement.

All I can really say about the Galley is that in the twenty plus years of meals there I can't remember a bad one and I'll miss it.

VitaBene
04-08-2011, 10:47 AM
I seem to have a gift for understatement.

All I can really say about the Galley is that in the twenty plus years of meals there I can't remember a bad one and I'll miss it.

Sorry Aussie, I was not trying to pick at your post, I just read it that the food was just OK! I am on the other side of the Lake, so I have never eaten there so I could not comment directly on the food.

Argie's Wife
04-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Argie and I loved The Galley and we're sorry to hear it's been closed. We celebrated there after hearing the first Argelet's heartbeat at the doctor's office. I remember sharing we were expecting a baby with the waitress and she brought us a special dessert to split - I think it was tiramisu, my fav. Back then we went out much more than we do now... but I digress...

jrc
04-08-2011, 03:27 PM
My wife and I often ate there during the summer season. The food was always good, prices were normal for the area and type of place. It was always empty, I could never figure it out.
They never had much of a bar crowd and that contributes a lot to the bottom line especially in a seasonal town. But you should be able to make it without being essentially a bar with food. I often saw their ads in The Weirs Times so they did advertise. I'm sure location was an issue, most tourists didn't know they were there.

I guess I'll never know the whole story. We will miss them.

GsChinadoll
04-08-2011, 05:01 PM
I do not want to upset anyone on this forum, but, maybe when you all talk about restaurants in the lakes region, for what ever reason, you could put the location somewhere in the beginning of the threads. A lot of people are checking out this forum everyday, even if they don't post, and would like to know where abouts these places are, good, bad or indifferent.
Maybe it would boost business at some of the lesser known places that may not have websites to search for and increase business at the highly rated places even more.
Our family has been coming to the lake for over 15 years and I don't know where some of these places are. Just sayin :)

Argie's Wife
04-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Sorry... I guess we just assumed people would google the restaurant if they didn't know it directly, like we do (or did...)

The Galley - Union Ave., Laconia, NH

BroadHopper
04-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Galley under new ownership? A few years ago my daughter complained of hair in her salad. Management, back then, tried to blame my daughter. What's funny was the hair was longer than my daughter's!

Because of the treatment, we walked out. They threatened to call the police if we left without paying the bill. I paid the bill, no tips and never went back.

topwater
04-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Exactly, the management changed. Back 10-12 years ago it did indeed used to be a nice place. The new management had their family and relatives come into the bar all of the time and it turned into a hangout for the family. Thats when it started its down hill plunge IMO. Last time the wife and I went there maybe a year ago it was just OK. And yes the owners husband,husbands brother and his wife were in the bar with one other couple that I believe were related, no one else was in the bar. Not a fun atmosphere. So why would anyone want to go there. To many other good choices out there.

trfour
04-08-2011, 11:11 PM
I enjoyed the Galley! Great food, prices and Service... I always was out and about, one of my favorite things for me, not just the Galley, entailed All of the many Great Restaurant"s what make the Lakes Region soooo wonderful! I am saddened to hear that they are no longer among this great list of Restaurants to chose from in the area! They were always enjoyable to me!
Wishing the best to all of the crew there.
T

upthesaukee
04-09-2011, 07:02 AM
I too will use the term decent food in the same context as good food. There are several restaurants that we go to that have good inexpensive food, which we tend to call family style restaurant or diner food. I figure that when we can have a breakfast, lunch, or dinner for around $20 for both of us, and the food is decent, we will go back often:laugh:.

mcdude
05-25-2011, 07:14 AM
From the Citizen

LACONIA — Some former patrons of The Galley restaurant at 405 Union Ave. have complained that the eatery was selling gift certificates for half price up until the day they unexpectedly closed their doors.
Senior Assistant Attorney General Connie Stratton of the New Hampshire Consumer Protection Bureau said her office has fielded two complaints concerning the restaurant and has also received a response from the business saying they have reached an agreement with the Greenside restaurant at the Lochmere Golf and Country Club, to honor their gift certificates.

According to the Consumer Protection Bureau’s web site that includes a search feature, complaints were filed against The Galley restaurant on April 27 and April 29.
When allegations are made of deceptive business practices the Consumer Protection Bureau can investigate and seek legal action to remedy the situation on behalf of the state.
According to records in the city assessor’s office the 3,733 square feet building that housed the restaurant is valued for tax purposes at $302,000.
It sits on a 0.17 of an acre site assessed for $76,300. The property is owned by Duhamel Holdings LLC. The New Hampshire Secretary of State’s Office said Attorney Robert Dietz of Laconia is listed as the registered agent for Duhamel Holdings. He did not return a telephone call seeking comment.
The city tax collector’s office said the property has been liened for back taxes totaling $17,116.55.