PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on this ?

ronc4424
02-21-2011, 01:53 PM
NH budget proposes closing of 8 rest stops

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2011/02/21/nh_budget_proposes_closing_of_8_rest_stops/

topwater
02-21-2011, 02:03 PM
If in FACT it does saves NH $800,000, I don't see a problem. We have to start finding some saving somewhere.

Heaven
02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't know that it would be a huge impact to the 800k saved, but do they include what the (offset) cost of having those people unemployed would be I wonder?

SIKSUKR
02-21-2011, 02:30 PM
I can see why Sanbornton and Canterbury could lose fulltime staffing as a "Welcome Center". You are welcoming people that have already gone past welcome centers into the state 40 miles ago.

Lakesrider
02-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Tourism is a valuable part of our economy here in NH? Huh...Never knew that...said with as sarcastic a voice as I can use on the internet.

It's like I keep saying. NH just does not care about bringing people here. Not at all. I expect we will be putting toll booths up at every entry point and charging admission before you know it. Then no one will come here and we can close down the State house as NH will be a Ghost State. Ghost Hunters will come up and record the disembodied voices of children playing at the lake, and watch shadows dart between turned off street lights on tumbleweed covered streets, like North Conway.....:rolleye2::( BTW the sky is falling. I found a piece of it on my lawn just the other day.:D

robmac
02-21-2011, 03:21 PM
The Nashua welcome site is closing to become the new DMV location.

ronc4424
02-21-2011, 03:38 PM
A lot of the southern states on the snowbird routes have implemented the same cost cutting methods. If I remember correctly,Virginia has closed most of theres.

A sign of the times that we live in...:(

Lakesrider
02-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Rob. Are they still going to have the Boston Express bus going from that exit 6 welcome center? I was planning to use it in March.:confused:

AC2717
02-21-2011, 06:47 PM
I can see why Sanbornton and Canterbury could lose fulltime staffing as a "Welcome Center". You are welcoming people that have already gone past welcome centers into the state 40 miles ago.

i agree here

Pontoon Goon
02-21-2011, 07:24 PM
I see no reason these rest areas cannot be self sustaining. Allow a Dunkin Donut franchise in Salem,Seabrook, Nashua and Hookset and the revenue could help maintain all of them. No McDonald's though as we all need to fit thru the toll booths.:laugh:

Happy Gourmand
02-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Rob. Are they still going to have the Boston Express bus going from that exit 6 welcome center? I was planning to use it in March.:confused:

I believe they moved this to Exit 8...

jeffk
02-21-2011, 09:01 PM
The budget MUST be brought into balance. Something must be cut. Everything that ends up being cut will be painful or missed by someone, probably a lot more than the rest areas. Would I personally like the rest areas to stay open? Sure. I use most of them and I like the convenience. But we can't afford them.

The state faces a $300 million dollar 2 year budget gap. It pulled in about $363 million in property taxes and this is the only income category it really can modify to generate lots of money. Doing the math, property taxes would have to raise almost 50% to close the gap. In my opinion, cut away please.

chipj29
02-22-2011, 08:01 AM
I see no reason these rest areas cannot be self sustaining. Allow a Dunkin Donut franchise in Salem,Seabrook, Nashua and Hookset and the revenue could help maintain all of them. No McDonald's though as we all need to fit thru the toll booths.:laugh:

I completely agree. If people think we need these rest areas, the state should contract them out. That is what NJ did on the Garden State Parkway. There are a bunch of rest areas there, with fast food restaurants etc. They are all very busy locations.

hazelnut
02-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Reality:

State cuts out the rest areas - State saves $800,000 - $800,000 gets spent somewhere else - State needs to find ways to cut - Looks to cut $800,000 from the budget - some other service gets cut.

The beat goes on...

It's a sad sign of the times, bottom line, the general public loses something.

Lakegeezer
02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
The rest area land is there. I don't care of they close the building but please, keep a few portable rest-rooms outside. The idea of letting outside businesses take over and sell stuff makes a lot of sense.