PDA

View Full Version : Ice/Slush/Snow 2/17/11 - 2/20/11

hazelnut
02-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Curious to those that have far more experience than I. What is this warm up doing to the lake. Is this the beginning of the end. :( Will the lake be impossible to ride on a sled after this?

What about the trails? Can the snowmobile trails survive this beating that mother nature is throwing down?

Trying to remain positive in this miserable time of warm weather in the middle of February! :mad:

trfour
02-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Yes, this thaw is frustrating to us winter sport enthusiasts. It's not over!
Credit Mother Nature, and the Weather Channel; http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/snow-ice-returns-midwest-northeast_2011-02-16

I guess it's just human nature for us to get upset when things don't always go as we would like... However, that we should also remember to be thankful for what we have and been given while we are here...
And after when we've spent so many $$$$$$ on sleds and equipment, it can be very disheartening to just be able to sit there and look at them sitting on the trailer, with no place to go...

Hang in, Hazelnut!

Terry

Jonas Pilot
02-17-2011, 07:01 PM
It's only for 2 days.

Irrigation Guy
02-17-2011, 07:33 PM
The lake will be fine in the areas of packed down traffic lanes. The trails can take what mother nature has planned, but they cannot take a lot of sleds riding when they are fragile from all the warmth. The sleds do the damage, I wish more people would realize that and hold off from riding when it is sooo warm(one ski can slice through a couple inches of base in one pass). Right now the Moultonboro trails are pretty flat, we have been trying to get ready for the warm and maybe a little rain, hopefully traffic will be light until things freeze back up, then we will have a nice hard base that can take a lot of traffic. Time will tell. I did see a good amount of sleds out there today and they were mostly taking it easy buttttttttt.............

hazelnut
02-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks LR and JP,

I am bummed as I am about to head up for a week and I was hoping for decent riding conditions. I am worried with all the warmth. I am hoping for a freeze up soon!!! I'd like to ride into March... All I am asking for is Mid-March riding... Am I asking too much?

Irrigation Guy
02-17-2011, 07:43 PM
If people would hold off riding when it is soo warm it would sure help. The trails are starting to get a little thin and the sun if getting hotter and in the sky longer during the day so it's a tough fight. Those bare spots attract the warmth of the sun and they start getting bigger and bigger. We definately need more snow if you are going to realize your mid March wish. Hoping people won't ride in the warmth just isn't gonna help, they'll be out there no doubt.

hilltopper
02-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Looking at the weather Saturday and beyond, I think the biggest issue for post-thaw trail or lake riding is going to be keeping the sled cool. Without more snow after the thaw and refreeze I don't think you'll get very far before your engine temp light appears. I had friends in northen VT who had issues this week. Monday got into the mid to high forties up there and then into a deep freeze. Overheating problems sent them back home...

SIKSUKR
02-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Snow is in the forecast through Monday.

Webbsatwinni
02-18-2011, 05:39 PM
How much snow remains on the ice?

Merrymeeting
02-18-2011, 06:28 PM
How much snow remains on the ice?

Lots!

Seriously, I',m sure the answer depends on where. As described in a earlier post by our weather expert earlier today, the south-facing areas probably have less. Also the areas where the wind blows the snow away would have less (and those areas where it blows to would have more)

The news tonight mentioned that with the temps of the past 48 hours, we've probably lost 6" in depth. So take your favorite area and reduce by 6". (Oh the places we could go with that line, but this is a family forum)

hazelnut
02-18-2011, 06:50 PM
So,

Driving up the lake looks like the majority of the snow has melted. However, this might not be a bad thing. If it refreezes it will set up a good base for snow to cover and remedy the original slush problem.

Lakegeezer
02-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Where there were paths or even ruts on the lake, its pretty much packed down today in the heat and is freezing tonight. Good sledding, but stay away from any rocks in the sun.