PDA

View Full Version : Boat Insurance, etc.

DoftheMattysort
09-27-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm looking for some comments and suggestions.

I just bought my first boat, it is a 1980 Citation 185 with a 190 horse 4.3 Merc Alpha LX. (Yes, a real beauty.)

I got it for the low, low price of nothing and figure it would be fun to whip around in and learn about boating before I jumped into something more serious.

Anywho, I am wondering if anyone knows about insurance, is something this old even worth getting insured? If it is, how much should I expect to pay? I have no boating experience and am looking for the least expensive way around this, I know the boat is only worth like $1500 so I couldn't justify spending $1000/season to insure it. Also, does anybody have any other advice about starting out in boating that could help me? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Hubbard Rd
09-27-2004, 04:53 PM
You absolutely need insurance. Not just for your boat but also the boat you could possibly hit, or the person you could possible run over by accident. Get the picture. It's rather inexpensive. Your probably talking about $200-$300 per year. Good Luck.

JG1222
09-27-2004, 04:55 PM
...it would be fun to whip around in and learn about boating before I jumped into something more serious.

I have no boating experience and am looking for the least expensive way around this...

Also, does anybody have any other advice about starting out in boating that could help me?

Listen, if you're sincere about seeking advice here, before you even start thinking about insurance for that boat, you should be looking for a boating safety course (Coast Guard Auxiliary, Power Squadron, etc.) to take over the winter.

You said you had no boating experience - I know the temptation is very strong to hop in that boat and take advantage of the last few weekends, but do us all a favor and look into this course first.

I'm sure everyone here will agree that this is the best investment of short-money you can ever make - not only for your own safety and the safety of your passengers, but most importantly, for mine!

upthesaukee
09-27-2004, 05:21 PM
Boat insurance is remarkably like car insurance. The first part of insurance for your boat is not if something happens to your boat, but rather if you cause damage to someone's property or cause bodily injury to a person or persons. If you have any assests away from boating to protect (ie a house, investments, etc), then consider having higher liability limits $100,000/300,000 at a minimum. After you decide on what level of liability insurance you want, then you can look at whether you want physical damage coverage for your boat (if you can afford to fix or replace your boat - you said value was about $1500- then you probably don't need this coverage.) and remember the insurance company will only pay for the value of your boat at the time of the loss less your deductible.
And if you don't have experience, certainly avail yourself of the various courses, get a good map (Bizer's my choice and can be ordered on this website), and go slow!!!! Learn the lake, learn your boat, gain experience, respect other boaters, drive defensively ... Gawd, I sound like a parent :eek: . You know what I (we) mean.

DoftheMattysort
09-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I will be sure to get insurance (Don't need the limits you're talking about because I'm a recent college grad still living with the 'rents) but I will be sure to get the appropriate amount. Does anybody have an idea of where I could go to take these boating safety courses and how much they cost.

Thanks again for the help.

pmj
09-27-2004, 07:23 PM
If you are in the Lakes Region you can contact the US Power Squadron

http://www.lrsps.com/

There is also a branch in Manchester called the Amoskeag Power Squadron. This is a fine organization dedicated to teaching about boat safety. The costs are quite reasonable and after you pass the initial Boating Safety Courses, you are eligible for membership which can lead to offerings of other courses that are boating related.

Good luck and you got good advice abou insurance..NEVER be without it!

pmj

Newbiesaukee
09-27-2004, 09:03 PM
There is an online course which is very helpful and can lead to certification.
http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/nh_internet.htm

Outlaw
09-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I will be sure to get insurance (Don't need the limits you're talking about because I'm a recent college grad still living with the 'rents) but I will be sure to get the appropriate amount. Does anybody have an idea of where I could go to take these boating safety courses and how much they cost.

Thanks again for the help.In addition to the 'Lakes Region Sail & Power Squadron', check out New Hampshire Marine Patrol.

CLASSROOM SCHEDULE (http://www.state.nh.us/safety/ss/basicboating.pdf) - Updated: September 21, 2004

Preregistration is required. There will be a $10.00 fee for the class and a $10.00 fee for the permanent card. To register or for more information, call 1-888-254-2125 or 603-293-2645. http://www.state.nh.us/safety/ss/basicboating.pdf

Facts of the Mandatory Boating Education Law
http://www.state.nh.us/safety/ss/boatedla.html
Who Needs it?:
http://www.state.nh.us/safety/ss/boatedla.html

I strongly urge you to take your class in a classroom and avoid the temptation of doing any of the on-line courses, as some are not sanctioned (not valid) by the NH Marine Patrol -- more importantly you will learn much much more in the classroom than any on line course. What we need on Winnipesaukee is more educated boaters, and this being your first boating experience lets make it a safe one for you and everyone else.

Happy and safe boating.

Rob
09-27-2004, 09:56 PM
In many cases, you can put the boat on your homeowner's insurance, or in your case, your folks might be able to put it on their homeowner's policy. The thing is, it's usually cheaper (a lot cheaper) to add the boat to an existing homeowner's policy than it is to get a separate, specific policy just for the boat.

There are some restrictions to adding a boat to a homeowner's policy, but they usually have to do with larger, more powerful boats, or leaving the boat in the water year round, or taking it out on the ocean. With a small boat that you only use on the lake during the normal boating season, you should be fine.

Also, in addition to your safe boater education class, you might want to take some on the water instruction. If you do, try www.jpboating.com (http://www.jpboating.com/) for private instruction on the lake, using your own boat.

Good luck, and feel free to ask if you have questions.

Rob

DoftheMattysort
09-27-2004, 10:28 PM
You guys are awesome, any idea on insurance companies in the area? I live in Taxachusetts, woops I mean Massachusetts and to quote my mother "You think you're going to insure that thing under my homeowners policy, you'd better think again, we just bought a brand new house and I'm not going to lose it because you sink a boat." I've learned not to fight with her. Anywho, since I live in Mass. but am doing all of my boating in NH, I'm pretty sure I should register it in NH but how would that work if I don't have a NH address? Does anybody know of any reputable insurance companies that I could deal with in the lakes region and how would the address situation work out.

Once again, thank you all for your time and assisting me in the confusing situation.

Outlaw
09-27-2004, 11:33 PM
State Farm - Mike Testa
101 Court Street
Laconia, NH 03246-3694
Phone:(603) 524-7733
Fax:(603) 524-9476

Office Hours:
Mon-Fri 8:00am to 5:00pm

Ginny Hammond is an excellent agent.

They also give you a discount on your policy when you give them a copy of your Boating Safety Certificate (as do most insurance companies). We've been with them for 6 years, and we've gotten excellent rates with them on all our policies.

Do you or your family have a summer place at the lake? If you do, you can register your boat in NH, get NH insurance coverage, and if you have a trailer (either boat, snowmobile or other) you can register that too, as a 'non-resident'. Which means you basically "garage" the trailer in NH but you physically are a resident of another state.

If you have to register your boat in MA, I would then suggest a company I have worked with for 20 years, both business and personal.

Brewer & Lord Insurance
125 Cambridgepark Drive
Cambridge, MA 02140-2314
Phone: (617) 547-3620
Fax: (617) 547-7420

My contact, no longer an agent, I think he's a VP or something, but he will set you up with the right person, Bob Mansfield. If you send me a "Private Message" or "Private email" with your name I will call him tomorrow and let him know you may call (I have to call him tomorrow anyway).

pmj
09-28-2004, 04:19 AM
We have had our boat insured with BoatUS now for 5 years. We found the the rates to be far lower than with our homeowners insurance. We have never had a problem with BoatUS. YOu can get quotes on line at

www.boatus.com

AAA also offers boat insurance now.

Whoever you use be sure to include the boat trailer.

You are on the right track. Stay educated and learn safe boating! :)

pmj

Coastal Laker
09-28-2004, 07:15 AM
If you are in the Lakes Region you can contact the US Power Squadron

http://www.lrsps.com/

There is also a branch in Manchester called the Amoskeag Power Squadron. This is a fine organization dedicated to teaching about boat safety. The costs are quite reasonable and after you pass the initial Boating Safety Courses, you are eligible for membership which can lead to offerings of other courses that are boating related.

Good luck and you got good advice abou insurance..NEVER be without it!

pmj
The Power Squadron's site is now http://www.lrsps.org

fpartri497
09-28-2004, 07:19 AM
:look: I too have for the last five years been Insured with boat US. Yesterday while reviewing the last five yrs.statements, disscovered that every year without any claims that they Increased my premiumns 15-20 dollars each Yr. reason ++increased cost of doing buissiness. once more (go figure) the consumer takes It up The !!! :eek: :eek:

Bubba
09-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Actually, most states require you to resister your boat in the state if you use it in the state more than "x" amount of days. (Unless Federally registered, which has a different set of rules.) In other words, if you use your boat in NH 90 days or more, it needs to be registered in NH. Having said that, I don't know of anymore who has been "caught" or fined for not following this proceedure. And I figure that the MP on the lake is not that well versed on those areas of law. Or they just ignore it.