PDA

View Full Version : Umteenth Capt Bonehead

upthesaukee
09-23-2004, 07:29 AM
After having such a wonderful day on the lake yesterday (Wed 9-22) (see best day on the lake under general discussion), we ended up at the sand bar by West Alton.

A cruiser (Larson I think) comes out and starts doing turns, starts and stops, and just general maneuvering right at the end of the channel into West Alton. Finally he proceeds to drop anchor,puts a life preserver on his medium sized dog, hops in the water with the dog, and proceeds to walk onto shore with the dog, who is running around the numerous "No Trespassing" signs present on the property. The Capt sits down on the beach next to what is probably the biggest sign on the beach. He then appeared to walk over to the sand next to the woods and use a stick to flick something into the woods (not much imagination needed here). Nice of him. Won't step in it, but it will still draw flies. And would get him a fine in many cities and towns.

When we went back in, Capt and his first mate were still sitting on the beach. If the Capt owns the property or has express permission to use the property I sincerely apologize to him, but still wonder why he wouldn't carry a small plastic back to pick up the waste material left behind by the mate. We always picked up the dog's waste at our house, didn't flick it into the woods!!!!

If the Capt doesn't own the property or have permission, go back to school and learn to read. Whoever owns the property has the right to post it, and no means no!!!! You can not go on the property because you think it has become public once the swim lines are down and the owners aren't there. That is simply taking of property by ignorant domain, a reason why property owners dislike most boaters. Respect for the landowner while taking part in any outdoor activity, or the lack of respect, is why hiking/snowmobile trails are being closed, fishing access paths are being closed, etc..

Again if Capt B is actually the owner or a permissive user, I do apologize, but judging from the actions, I don't think this is the case.

Pepper
09-23-2004, 08:41 AM
If your not the property owner, mind your business. :)

For someone who is so opinionated with regard to the use of waterways and the land surrounding them, I'm frankly stunned to see YOU, of all people,have the audacity to tell ANYONE to mind their own business.

My personal feeling is that Upthesaukee makes a valid observation, and furthers the thought that there is an unfortunate decline in respect, both for our waterways and the properties that surround them. Considering the fact that Upthesaukee is a NH Taxpayer, as well as a respectful boater, it is entirely within his right to express his disgust at blatant disregard for posted rules. Furthermore, how would you feel if someone followed any of your posts with a reply stating that you ought to mind your own business? This is a public forum, all are allowed to express their ideas, thoughts and views here. Play nice. :)

Sschaar
09-23-2004, 09:06 AM
I removed my post and I stand corrected.
My thought process is that it seems so often that people ( me included ) are very quick to point to the shortcomings of others.
With that thought, I just try manage myself. I can't control the actions of others. I do feel that "what goes around comes around". If this boater with the dog is so disrespectful of others that he'll get "dumped" on eventually. It's just a question of time.
Again I stand corrected. Upthesaukee has every right to voice his opinion.
As you mentioned it is a public forum.
It just complaining really doesn't get you anywhere.
Now if Upthesaukee would have jumped on the guys boat and pulled the transom plug, now we're talking. A man of action.

Pepper
09-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Sschaar, I applaud you for that action! I don't think Up was trying to point out anyone's shortcomings, but rather expressing his horror. I can also understand how you would feel that corrective action (removal of the transom plug :laugh: ) could have been taken, but unfortunately that would only reduce everyone to the same level of disgrace. It's a shame, really, that the property owner wasn't home and able to do something about the violation, but this is the time of year when so many properties are unoccupied. This bonehead simply took advantage in the worst way! :( and shame on him.

upthesaukee
09-23-2004, 09:26 AM
I didn't see Sschaar's original post except in my email, and I think it had a smiley face at the end. So I didn't take offense and wouldn't anyway. Opinions are like noses, every one has one. This all happened at the end of a marvelous day on the lake, and I just couldn't believe my eyes. We were getting ready to head into the dock, time was becoming "of the essence" and I didn't have time to take any action. I thought about calling the Marine patrol, but didn't have the time to wait around. (not sure they could do anything anyway. Sschaar, no offense taken & Pepper, thanks for your kind words.

It's off to the woodpile to put away the last two cords of wood. :(

Had to edit. misspelled Sschaar's username. :emb: