PDA

View Full Version : Mt Cardigan

TomC
10-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Just for something different, and because we have hiked most of the stuff around the lake at least once, we decided to head west to climb Mt Cardigan yesterday. It was a very nice hike - not too hard of a climb, yet the summit is over 3000 ft with outstanding 360 degree views from the bare rock top. If you are looking for a change of pace hike - i can recommend this one. It was a popular spot Sunday afternoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Cardigan

Tiger Lilly
10-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Yes, a gorgeous and easy hike if you choose the West Ridge Trail, but one of the MOST difficult hikes around if you choose the Holt Trail! I hiked the West Ridge Trail and waited at the top for my husband and son who were hiking the Holt Trail. They had to scramble on all fours and they kissed the top when they got there!

The West side of the mountain is Cardigan State Park. This park is home to the Class 1 West Ridge trail. This is one of the easiest ascent to the top of the mountain. It is also home to the Class 1-2 South Ridge trail which travels along to ridge to South Peak and down to the parking area.

On the East Side is the AMC 1000 acre Cardigan Reservation. which is home to the AMC Cardigan Lodge complex (complete with lodge and campground). It is home to a number of trails, including the Class 3 Holt trail which is considered one of the more difficult trails in New England.