PDA

View Full Version : Finally: Results

Justenuff
08-06-2010, 06:37 AM
We have been on vacation this week at one of our most favorite spots on Black Cat Island, and I continued my tradition of an early morning walk with the dog. We both need the exercise, and it's a good way not to wake the house.

Every day, I take my camera with me to see if I can capture any interesting shots, and up until today, I was satisfied catching the sunrise over the Ossipee Mountains, or the stillness of the lake, or the cloud cover. I even managed to take a picture of the dog a couple of times out of boredom.

Anyway, this morning I was rewarded with a fairly close up view of an immature bald eagle eating breakfast on the Black Cat Island Bridge.
I wish I had a 35 mm SLR camera with a telephoto lense, but my Canon digital had to suffice.

Will post a picture of the eagle as soon as it gets approved in the photo gallery.

The breakfast was a fairly large trout, and as I approached the eagle left the fish and hopped up on the railing and flew off, first low over the water and then soared high into the sky toward Becky's Garden.

I continued my walk and when I returned to the bridge, the entire fish was gone. Maybe the eagle came back to pick up the meal and went somewhere more private to finish?

Jonas Pilot
08-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing the photo. It's pretty cool when you come across something in nature that not everybody gets to see. Remember, there is a thread for showing pet pictures too.

icg56
08-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Attached is a picture of the Eagle family on Blueberry Island (just off Black Cat) when they were still in the nest earlier in June 2010. They are now hanging around in the area and the nest is no longer active.

jkjoshuatree
08-06-2010, 01:38 PM
...are you sure the eagles were nesting on Blueberry?

I'll take a ride over tomorrow and see if I can see them in the area anywhere.

Lucky1
08-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Cross my heart and hope to die, I am sure that there were eagles nesting on Blueberry, a place I wanted to kayak to on a couple of occasions and ran into too much boat traffic so did not get to see them in the nest! However, this morning two different eagles at different times were here on my beach. Wow when they fly off, the wing span is huge! My neighbors have all kinds of pictures. I believe we had an eagle nest there last year as well.
PS For those who like to learn,

I taught school for a short time and know to too and two as in... going TO the store where I can get TWO loaves of bread and hope TO be back in time TO see the TWO eagles TOO. LOL Off am I.

icg56
08-06-2010, 04:52 PM
That picture I posted was taken about June 10th, 2010 on the end of Blueberry furthest from Blackcat but on the backside from where people raft. The actual nest has disappeared now but it was on top of one of the trees that appears to be missing its top maybe 30 yards from the rock point. The eagle family still stops by that tree without the nest. There was a story in one of the papers about a new eagle having a transmitter attached 3 miles from Center Harbor this year. Probably the same nest/eagle group. I had seen a similar nest last year on nearby Hull Island. Did not want to post that picture too quickly so as to not draw attention so close to a popular rafting location. I doubt most of them knew what was in the trees right behind them.

jkjoshuatree
08-09-2010, 11:56 AM
It was flying between Pine and Loon Island and it landed in a tall tree on the mainland just to the right of Shep Brown's.

Beautiful!!!