PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Proof Feeders

Greene's Basin Girl
08-05-2010, 02:59 AM
We finally found a squirrel proof feeder. It's called the Squirrel Buster Plus. I purchased two at Chickadee Station in Moultonborough, but you can buy them on Amazon, etc. They feeder closes when a rodent that isn't very tiny climbs on it to get food. We have saved so much money in bird seed. Now the birds don't have to share their food with the squirrels.

VitaBene
08-05-2010, 06:40 AM
We finally found a squirrel proof feeder. It's called the Squirrel Buster Plus. I purchased two at Chickadee Station in Moultonborough, but you can buy them on Amazon, etc. They feeder closes when a rodent that isn't very tiny climbs on it to get food. We have saved so much money in bird seed. Now the birds don't have to share their food with the squirrels.

Are they hanging? Mine got taken down by a bear I am assuming based on te bent pole.

Greene's Basin Girl
08-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Are they hanging? Mine got taken down by a bear I am assuming based on te bent pole. We have our squirrel busters hanging up on our upper decks. You could put them on a pole though. If you pole is bent it was probably a bear.

Lucky1
08-05-2010, 12:53 PM
I am looking out at the bird feeder that I hung from one of those black plant hanger poles. The feeder holes actually have been eaten apart BY SQUIRRELS so the seeds just flow out of the feeder now. It is no longer usable.
I sit looking at the feeder and CONSTANTLY opened the window screen to shoo off these pests. Now I have just not done bird feeding so am so happy to hear of these types of feeders. Where is Chickadee Station located in Moultonborough. Thank you so much for this helpful information.

Irrigation Guy
08-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Chickadee Station is east of Moultonboro Neck Road on Rte 25. It is on the left hand side when headed toward Moultonboro Center and should be less than a mile from the lights and across from Mardee's Flower Shop.

paddler
08-05-2010, 01:35 PM
After many years of playing cat and mouse games with the squirrels I've finally found a way to defeat them thanks to a friends suggestion. I wrapped my feeder pole with 5" stove pipe. The pipe needs to be at least 4-5 feet tall as squirrels can jump pretty high. When I first added the stove pipe the squirrels were trying to jump up, but would just slide down the pipe. Now they just hang out under the feeders looking for dropped seed.

I don't seem to have a problem with bears but my friend has a solution for that too, he uses a thick pipe and somehow electrifies it with an electric fence.

Slickcraft
08-05-2010, 02:22 PM
In 20+ years only two or three squirrels have beat our simple and cheap system.

At about 15' high I have a heavy gauge steel wire stretched between the house and a tree about 35' away with the wire very taut, stiff spring on the end to allow for tree sway. About midway there are hooks that hold plain old cheap feeders. When full the bottom of the feeders are about 10' off the ground. We use an 8' stepladder to reach the feeders for unhooking and refilling.

To reach the feeders a squirrel has to manage a high wire act for 15' in length. As help in lowering temptation we put cracked corn on the ground, one 50lb bag from the feed store last more than a year. The squirrels eat that as well as seed dropped by the birds. It's normal to see one try to learn the high wire act, fall part way and go back to the easy to get cracked corn.

The feeders are also above the reach of the local black bear.

Bear Island South
08-05-2010, 03:08 PM
or you could try this method :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

Greene's Basin Girl
08-06-2010, 02:42 AM
or you could try this method :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo I think the squirrel launcher is mean and inhumane.