PDA

View Full Version : Fisher

Airedale1
07-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I was down at the Weirs this afternoon, taking pictures of ducks. Then I spotted this fisher on the rocks right in the channel, about 10 feet from land. The ducks were in a frenzy.:eek:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/Airedale1/IMG_7820A.jpg

GsChinadoll
07-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Nice photo!

Jonas Pilot
07-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Are you sure it is a fisher. You would usually find them in an forested mountainous area. My guess would be a mink.
Nice capture!

Lakesrider
07-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah I think it is a mink as well. We have a fisher living in a rock wall across the street. Has a different face and definitely a forest animal as opposed to a mink that is a water animal.

Fisher

http://cclighthouseschool.org/abt/news/fishercat.jpg

Very bulky and muscular, for digging and ripping open trees.

Mink

More sleek body for water use.

Oh yeah I edited this to compliment the picture as well. Awesome shot. I always love your pics. Someday i wanna grow up to take pics like those you take. I don't know how you do it. I never have my camera at the right time or angle or light....argh. I should take a course. But Like Jonas said "Nice Picture".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fd/Mink_-_Lower_Saranac_Lake.jpg/768px-Mink_-_Lower_Saranac_Lake.jpg

Jonas Pilot
07-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Regardless, nice picture.

Airedale1
07-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Are you sure it is a fisher. You would usually find them in an forested mountainous area. My guess would be a mink.
Nice capture!

No, I am not sure. I always confuse Mink, Marten and Fisher.:confused:

WinnDixie
07-10-2010, 08:27 PM
the ducks were in a frenzy!! You did say this afternoon. I'd think the channel would be pretty busy with boats, people on a Sat. afternoon. I'm amazed the mink would be there in those conditions...but that one sure has a purposeful look!!

As always, your pictures are just wonderful!

Resident 2B
07-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I live close to the channel and we have several mink around. Nasty critters!

I believe the photo is of a mink.

Nice photo!

R2B

20mile
07-11-2010, 06:55 AM
One of my favorite mammals at the lake. They feed mainly on chipmunks and fresh water mussels, two annoying animals/molluskes.

Chickie
07-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Weasels also look similar to minks, but I don't believe they are as aquatic. They are certainly related and in the same family. Their coats turn pure white in winter. I found a dead weasel near my porch one winter and assumed my cat had brought home. Not big enough to make an ermine coat out of, but it was interesting to get an up-close view. They are generally very elusive and invisible creatures.

Bear Island South
07-12-2010, 06:21 AM
We have seen a pair of them around our shoreline, this past weekend, we noticed one come out of the rocks and run underneath our camp. Should we be worried about them comiong on to land? We do have an abundance of red squirrels and mice around, maybe they are hunting them?

Mink Islander
07-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Really nice picture! We have a Mink that lives around our property and is sometimes seen around the docks. We have piles of mussel shells around the dock cribs as evidence of its foraging. These guys aren't a problem on land. They eat mostly mussels and crayfish -- won't find them rooting around in your trash bin like certain masked woodland creatures I see from time to time.....

I see them most often in the winter when they use the open water around the dock for easy access to the water. I leave them a dead cusk or two when I'm out ice fishing.

I've always wondered where it has a den. Never seen more than 1 at a time -- solitary creatures for the most part.

tis
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
We have them around. We saw a Mom with two babies a couple of weeks ago. We have the shells too-- Tons of them in the spring.