PDA

View Full Version : Charity Choices for the raffle

Meredith lady
06-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Please post your thoughts and ideas for the charity (or charities) to benefit from the raffle at the Forum Fest. I will begin! I think the donation should go to several food pantries in the Lakes Region. What say you??

Argie's Wife
06-29-2010, 10:32 AM
There was a discussion about charities back in November, 2009. I thought the thread might be fodder for ideas for the FF this year:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8966&highlight=charity

Janet
06-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Any local food bank would be my choice. Too many Americans including some of our forum members, myself included, are still unemployed and are fighting for survival.

Island Girl
07-01-2010, 02:18 PM
I would give the money to a food pantry.

eillac@dow
07-02-2010, 07:26 AM
I also think the Food Panty is a great idea. There are so many that can benefit from what ever we can give.

SIKSUKR
07-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Just a suggestion here but if it is decided to give proceeds to a food pantry then I would say donated food should be brought to the FF also.

Meredith lady
07-02-2010, 10:22 AM
I totally agree that the money should go to local food pantries-and the idea of bringing non perishable food items to the FF is wonderful...any comments??

Pineedles
07-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Typically food pantries can stretch monetary contributions alot further than most people can at their local market. I'm not discouraging donated non-perishables, but $$$ goes further.

Meredith lady
07-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Totally agree with you, sir! I am looking forward to seeing you again! I am off to Westerly, RI for the weekend-enjoy your holiday!!

WinnDixie
07-03-2010, 09:58 AM
I am the "uninitiated" (AKA "dumb") when it comes to links, but there is an article on the front page of today's Citizen (7/3) about the St. Vincent de Paul Food pantry. This one happens to be the one we try to support...but...anyhow, "food" for thought, as we pick a Forum charity.

trfour
07-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Another vote for food pantries.

Here's that link WinnDixie; http://citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100703/GJNEWS02/707039943/-1/CITIZEN

Meredith lady
07-05-2010, 09:48 PM
The majority seems to favor local food pantries for our charity of choice. Any more suggestions?

KBoater
07-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I think the food pantry is a good idea. Don't forget Wolfeboro.

Just Sold
07-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I vote for the local food pantries!

Pineedles
07-06-2010, 06:39 PM
In as much as one of Centre Harbor's churchs is probably in receivership, I would recommend keeping it local since we are holding the event there.

Silver Duck
07-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Definitely a Food Pantry!

Lucky1
07-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Seems like most feel that a donation to a local Food Pantry would be the way to go. I agree. These are tough economic times for many in our nation and for quite a few here in the Lakes Region. Hopefully we can make a tiny dent for some hungry families this winter.

Pineedles
07-11-2010, 05:39 PM
We can make a HUGE DENT! If we are all generous to the point for which we can contribute, we can really help folks who are really having a rough time!

If you and your spouse are still employed: $100.00 contribution or more is a good starting point! It can be scary,given the predictions for the future, but what do economists know. NOTHING!

I pledge $200.00 to the fund! Times are tough with my company, but times are tougher for others too. Where do I send the check?

Argie's Wife
07-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Hugs to you Pineneedles - you have a big heart. I think we need to name the place - so please hang on to your check for the moment...

-----

As far as the final destination goes... Why not Center Harbor's own food pantry? I know they have one. I think we contributed to the Salvation Army's food pantry last year.

What do y'all think? :)

CGI3
07-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Robert and Scott Farah affiliated with the Center Harbor food pantry??? If they are, you can count me out.

Argie's Wife
07-11-2010, 10:16 PM
I have no idea... I simply looked for the closest one to Center Harbor via this link I found in a Google search: http://nhfoodbank.org/Pages/Agencies/Find.html

I'm aware of Farrah's current issue that's in the news but really... (and I honestly mean this) why does that matter? From what I've seen via searches and all, this is a very active pantry that supports many folks in the community.

What other pantries or organizations do you suggest?

Janet
07-11-2010, 11:09 PM
I agree with Argie's wife. The Farrah's have hurt many but I think others in the commmunity need our help.

trfour
07-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Are hurting...

Do and let us Go forward!... 'PLEASE' ...

Meredith lady
07-12-2010, 02:57 PM
I think we should support several food pantries-Meredith and Center Harbor-just to name two.

WinnDixie
07-12-2010, 03:38 PM
for St. Vincent de Paul, too. They have hardworking volunteers who devote a lot of time; their need is great now, too. It happens to be the one we support, but we'll support whichever you decide on...and kudos to you, Pineedles! Can't do $200, but will do $100.

fatlazyless
07-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Shareholders of BP will not be receiving their usual quarterly dividends for at least the remainder of 2010 because BP has cancelled out the dividend to show good faith by sharing the pain with people whose livelihoods are directly effected by the BP oil leak.

So, why not contribute the raffle money to BP, and direct them to use it to help restore their dividend. BP had been something like the largest dividend payer in Great Britain, as well as being very big in the U.S. with state pension funds, state teacher's associations, police & firefighter retirement funds, and on & on...

Just forget about the Saint Vincent de Paul's food pantry in Laconia, next door to McDonald's, and send the money to BP!:laugh:

WinnDixie
07-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Shareholders of BP will not be receiving their usual quarterly dividends for at least the remainder of 2010 because BP has cancelled out the dividend to show good faith by sharing the pain with people whose livelihoods are directly effected by the BP oil leak.

So, why not contribute the raffle money to BP, and direct them to use it to help restore their dividend. BP had been something like the largest dividend payer in Great Britain, as well as being very big in the U.S. with state pension funds, state teacher's associations, police & firefighter retirement funds, and on & on...

Just forget about the Saint Vincent de Paul's food pantry in Laconia, next door to McDonald's, and send the money to BP!:laugh:

I have always considered that I have a sense of humor...but...this is beyond me!!

Island Girl
07-13-2010, 07:12 AM
When looking at a charity I believe it is important to find out what % of the donated dollars actually goes to food for people. I support any very local food pantry in which the admin costs are minimal.

This is why I do not like United Way and other major charities... admin costs are too high.

IG