PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Stabilizers

wendyg
06-07-2010, 07:50 AM
As we are new to boating, I'm somewhat confused over the info I've seen regarding Ethanol fuel and fuel stabilizers. The salesman we dealt with didn't mention anything to us regarding this. My dad, a boater of 40+ years says it is necessary if there is ethanol in the gasoline and cautioned us against buying a boat with fiberglass fuel tank. The tank isn't an issue. The engine on the boat is a Mercury 496 mag 375 hp. The salesman equates it to a "car" engine...but the engine is in a boat not a car, and the gas will sit in the tank longer than gas sits in the car tank. My dad also recommended a fuel filter/water seperator, RACOR, and again, the salesman didn't talk about this either. So...bring on your opinions and advice!

Many thanks from the "Newbie."

Dave R
06-07-2010, 08:02 AM
That engine is already equipped with a fuel/water separating fuel filter, not that it matters much if you are using 10% ethanol fuel, because the ethanol absorbs any water that's in there... If you are going to let the boat sit unused for more than a month, treat the fuel with Stabil marine gasoline treatment. It's the dark blue stuff, not pink.

That said, if you buy fuel at a marina, it may not have ethanol and may already be treated with stabilizer. Ask the fuel seller.

Newbiesaukee
06-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Not the definitive answer but last season a lot of trouble until I used a fuel stabilizer. I noted many of the gas suppliers say they have added stabilizers and it is no longer necessary. The guy at Irwins who services my boat says you still should add your own stabilizer. I doubt this helps you much but there does seem to be some disagreement on the subject. There was a long thread on the Forum last season addressing the issue.

Lakegeezer
06-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Last year, my boat stalled many times while operating on a plane. I was always able to get it restarted, but it took a while. I replaced my fuel filter for the first time in 10 years (didn't know there was one inside my outboard?!) and now add the blue Stabil every time I fill up. No more problems. I use the red Stabil in my lawn mower and it also works much better. The mower mechanic said regular gas is so bad that it starts going bad after two weeks.

LIforrelaxin
06-07-2010, 09:30 AM
So while so of the gas pumps on the lake do add in a stabilizer additive there is no guarantee as to how well that additive is distributed in a bulk application. Hence it always wise to add some of your own. Most of the common additive do publish that over concentration is not a problem. Not that I would recommend drastically over doing it. Now as for me I have used primarily Star-tron and had tremendous luck with it for the last 3 seasons. This year I start with Sta-bil marine formula, and am actually not as impressed with it. I believe then engine is running a bit rougher. But having said that it may all be in my head. At any rate I will be going back to Star Tron, as it has proven itself to me over time, and you might as well use what you know.

Another not here, is that if you keep stabilizer in the gas, it is also best to keep the tank as full as possible when the boat is not in use.... less chance for moisture to invade.

bigdog
06-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Has anyone used 'Seafoam' additive. I believer it has fuel stabilizers built into the formula. My Marine Tech swears by this product !

Thoughts?

BD

ishoot308
06-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Take a look at this chart here...

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html

Basically if it says it contains alcohol don't use it. Seafoam contains alcohol...

Dan

NoBozo
06-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Take a look at this chart here...

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html

Basically if it says it contains alcohol don't use it. Seafoam contains alcohol...

Dan

There are some interesting points in that article. The problem is some of the points contradict each other. For example it says alcohol will not remove water from the gas. This is incorrect.

Gasoline doesn't mix with water. Gasoline does mix with alcohol. This is what E10 is.... 90% gasoline mixed with 10% alcohol.

The next point is this. Alcohol ALSO mixes with Water.

Cocktail hour: Scotch & Water. Scotch on the Rocks. Gin & Tonic. ..etc. You don't see the water seperating (stratifying) from the alcohol, like Oil and Vinagar in salad dressing.

There are two seperate products that some may be familiar with: "DRYGAS" and "HEET". They are designed to Remove water from your gas tank and it does work. The alcohol in Drygas/Heet mixes with the gasoline AND mixes with the water (from condensation) in the bottom of your tank, allowing the gas, water and alcohol MIX to pass through the engine in harmless quantities..thus removing it from the tank.

I use "Startron" with every fill up. However, when it comes to stabilizing E10...and preventing problems, I think the Jury Is Still Out. :look: Name your poison. NB

lawn psycho
06-11-2010, 05:59 AM
However, when it comes to stabilizing E10...and preventing problems, I think the Jury Is Still Out. :look: Name your poison. NB

That's the rub as to how the deal with the E10. I'm overly cautious and use both Startron and the Marine Sta-bil (blue) since I only go through a few tanks of gas every year.

LIforrelaxin
06-11-2010, 10:26 AM
I use "Startron" with every fill up. However, when it comes to stabilizing E10...and preventing problems, I think the Jury Is Still Out. :look: Name your poison. NB

To some degree indeed the jury is still out... especially when it concerns the long term effects of E10 on the life of an engine and fuel system...

However my remedy is to simply make sure I just use the boat as much as possible....:laugh::laugh::laugh: .... 10 Hrs and counting already this year ... :D:D:D:D

robmac
06-11-2010, 06:23 PM
I for two years have used Startron fuel stabilizer, I have not had any issues with any gas engines I add this product to the fuel that's burnt in the engines. These include cars,bike,boat,generator,mower,snothrower ect. That said I also avoid mixing stabilizers for one reason,nobody will state mixing won't have any adverse affect. Some will remember back in the day red and green anti-freeze,well if you mixed them you were in trouble. I know apples and oranges but chemical none the less. As far as Sea foam, I have used it to help clean upper combustion chamber and to a degree injectors but would never consider it for fuel stabilization. With thirty five years in the repair business I try and stay current with technology as it changes daily but I for one am no fan of E-10 or E-85,both help with emissions but do an owner no favors. IMHO

Seeker
06-11-2010, 10:27 PM
I use Startron in 3 boats, 1 snowblower, 1 bike, 5 cars, 1 pressure washer and 2 lawnmowers (no fibreglas tanks) with zero problems even if it sits for a year. I used Stabil in the past (red, before E10) and had problems.

Just a second thought. If you buy Startron look carefully at the bottle. There is one small bottle that will treat 128 gallons and another that looks the same but will only treat a small percentage of that. Obviously the 128 gallon treatment bottle is much more expensive.

VtSteve
06-12-2010, 12:50 PM
The majority of great dealers that I know of, in areas where E10 has been widespread for years, switched to Startron and stayed with it. This morning was the first batch of E10 that my boat has had in it. My marina has (or used to have), Valvtech-treated non ethanol gas. They may have had to switch as well. The problem I have is that I suspect they just start filling their storage tanks with E10, without having cleaned them out fist. It's a fairly extensive cleanout, and I suspect none do it.

Most of the problems I've heard of have been with two-cycle engines, weed whackers, lawnmowers and the like. Boaters that have problems typically have older boats, and their gas tanks have some crud in them. E10 is a very effective solvent in these conditions. It will clean out you tank over time, and throw that crap towards your engine. Sometimes, particularly with outboards, this is a very nasty process.

I know my vehicles have all seen a drop in gas mileage since the E10 introduction here, and more notable on hilly highways. We have one station left that sell NO E10 gas, and every test I've done has had the same result.