Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Monitor Heater ?

I'm thinking about the possibilty of installing a 'monitor' heating in my Condo unit, to provide heat to the unit while I am away for extended periods during the cold months.

Currently, the unit has FHW Oil heat, 2-zone system. When I leave unit for several days at a a time, I usuually put both thermostats, at around 58 degrees. However, this seems like a waste of oil, since I am not there! Could I adjust both 'stats' lower, without causing issues?

Would a monitor heater placed on the first floor provide enough heat, to offset what would be used with the existing system ?
Also, do monitor heaters use oil? I hear mostly kerosene being used for these type of appliances, not sure if they can burn oil ?

Last, what is lowest temperature do you think safe, to leave unit unattended ? BTW, when away I leave all floor-level cabinets open around sinks so air can flow through that space, to prevent any freezing.

Thanks,
Bigdog

Last edited by bigdog; 02-17-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spelling
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
LakeSnake

BigDog,

I have gone as low as 45 degrees in my place. Which has been OK. As long as the heat keeps it at 45 nothing should freeze. It's the lowest setting on the stat without shutting it off. But going that low means that in the event of a power failure that there isn't much time untill things get cold enough to freeze. So I purchased a freeze alarm that will call you if the temperature drops below a certain point. A basic unit can be purchased for about $40-$50 that has a pre-set alarm temp. For a little more cash you can get a unit that allows you to set the alarm temp and can also monitor cooling in summer. The instal is simple - just hook it up to a phone line and program the number you want it to call. Also make sure you set the thermostat about 5-10 degrees higher than the freeze alarm temp. to allow for some fluctuation in temp. as the heat cycles on/off as well as the difference in room temp from where the freeze alarm is vs. the thermostat.
LakeSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Monitor's are not all that reliable, so I have been told, and do not come close to the reliability of Toyo or Toyotomi for either an oil or kerosene direct vent, space heater.

There's an internet retailer in southern Maine who ships them all over who supposedly has the lowest prices. What's his name? www.alsheating.com in Brunswick, Maine

Toyo or Toyotomi is best for oil, and Rinnai is best for propane, is what I hear through the grapevine. Both are made in Japan.

Al's website has a dirty laundry list of problems common to Monitor.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default Monitor

I have a monitor in my one floor 2 bedroom camp and it has been heating my place since 1997. I leave it in on 58 degrees from December thru March (unless I am there) and have never had a problem. I use to fool around with the temperature but over the years I've found out I use about the same gallons no matter what I leave it at. Mine is kerosene and I do not think you can use oil. I use about 300 gallon per year. I have good neighbors that also keep an eye on my place so I don't worry when I'm not there. Hardest part is trying to make sure a path is shoveled for my K1 delivery.
Friend of mine just put one in at his place down the Cape and has thanked me numerous times for the recommendation.
You can go on their website and see the specifications.
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Happy Gourmand

Default Toyo heaters

Looks like the Toyo uses #1 oil, which I believe is more like if not kerosene.
Toyotomi makes a heater that uses regular #2 fuel oil. I have 2 of them in our place in Meredith and thay work great. They are sold and serviced by Home Energy Products in Belmont. These unite will also worl with #1 or kerosene...actually they burn cleaner with the lighter oil. So, if you have #2 in your tank, you can use it up with the Toyotomi and then change over to #1....or...just stick with the #2. It's a really nice unit.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Looks like the Toyo uses #1 oil, which I believe is more like if not kerosene.
Toyotomi makes a heater that uses regular #2 fuel oil. I have 2 of them in our place in Meredith and thay work great. They are sold and serviced by Home Energy Products in Belmont. These unite will also worl with #1 or kerosene...actually they burn cleaner with the lighter oil. So, if you have #2 in your tank, you can use it up with the Toyotomi and then change over to #1....or...just stick with the #2. It's a really nice unit.
Phantom has the best option for you if you cannot change fuel sources due to condo regulations and you really want to install this style heater.

As far as heating the entire space to maintain a certain temp, that really has to do with the layout of the condo unit. If it is wide open, high ceilings, open loft, then the unit will run non-stop and will likely never reach the temp setting to cycle off. This can be offset by the use of ceiling fans to keep the warmer air from stalling in the ceiling area.

If the condo unit is more closed down then it will work well for some areas and not get heat to others, this will open you up for the possibility of other issues regarding pipes freezing in the far remote areas of the home.

The ideal setup for these heaters is an open floor plan with low ceilings (standard 8' or 9') without cathedrals and good flow to the upper levels via a direct path to the stairs.

You may want to install more than one heater to get proper coverage of the entire space, remember you would be keeping the temp lower than if you were there, so the potential for a freeze issue is higher.

Just to clarify some of the responses, Monitor is a brand name heater, but is also a trade name for the style of heater, some are talking about monitor the brand and other just the style, I personally would take Less' recommendation and stay away from Monitor the brand, they are just not as refined as some of their competitors.

My company monitors homes for our clients that live outside the area, most if not all will set the temp between 50-55 degrees, only the homes with radiant keep it higher as it takes up to 24 hours to get the mass back up to temp, its not an instant heat.

The big thing about this process, is that it really does not matter what you set your heat at, in order to get the least amount of waste in regard to fuel use. It is very important to have a home that is very efficient, windows that preserve heat within the home (low E), proper insulation without voids in floors, ceilings, walls, roof and around window and door frames, doors that are adjusted properly to prevent air loss. If your home meets these requirements, then you will not burn any more fuel at 70 than at 50, because the home will hold that heat longer between cycles. If it does not meet these standards then it will not matter what you set the temp at, you will be chasing your tail either way, no matter what style of heat source you use. The higher temp in this situation will burn more fuel because it may never catch up on the colder days.

All in all, I would not invest in the "monitor" style heater for your home if your reasons are to reduce costs, they will most likely not save you money over your current system, you have to figure the cost to recoup your money from the purchase of the heaters into your figures, that could equate to a year or more of fuel for the existing system, of which you will still have after, due to both systems burning the same fuel source.

It costs about $300.00 to have someone come into your home (now is the best time) and do a thermal scan to see where you may be losing heat. Being a condo, you are in a bit of a situation in that you do not technically own the windows or insulation cavities of the structure, but we have worked with clients in the past that explained the plan to the association and the cost for these upgrades were offset by the association, with the balance being handled by the unit owner. Not all associations enjoy having this information being brought to their attention, it can mean large costs for them if the word spreads through the complex, it really depends on how they approach the maintenance of the complex as a whole, not just the grounds.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Association bylaws

Check the association rules. The rules here will not allow you to lower your thermostat lower then 55. Although 45 is the norm here and no one had problems. The units are all attached duplexes, i.e. side by side and no units above or below a unit.

All units were built in the late 70's and have gas. The units were built with the latest energy savings at the time. There are at least 2 zones in each unit. Most of the units have fireplaces that are converted to wood, pellet or gas with inserts. Condo rules do not allow outside vents. Those with wood or pellet stove are to store their supplies in their garage. Some of the owners have installed ventless monitors and are successful using them. We have discussed and found that running the heat monitor alone in the main room is not enough. The combination of lowing the thermostat to the lowest possible setting to avoid freezing in the bathrooms, bedrooms, and the heat monitor in the main room at the same temperature have lowed the gas bill but not by much. At a setting of 45 without a monitor I burn 99 therms for 1000 sq foot condo with with average outside temperature of 16 degrees for 31 days. This figure include tank hot water heater set at 120 degrees. My neighbor with the same criteria with a gas heat monitor burned 93 therms. A 6% savings. You have to do the math to figure the payback for a heat monitor. It is way down the road.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
dpg

Family's been leaving a home in Moultonborough around 43/44 for many years all winter when nobody's there, not one single cold issue yet. (20+) years.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Big Dog,

As Broad Hopper points out check your associations rules first. Some have pretty high regulations on where your thermostat has to be for a minimum setting. 50 - 60 F is not un heard of....

Now back to monitor heaters.... I have only ever seen them set up to burn K1.... I know many people that have had them in Vermont, with many years of successful service. I don't know that I would every want one as my primary heat source, unless I had a very small place that was basically very open.... however they work great as a supplementary heat source. They helped many of my friends save on their heating costs. Although the pay off is way done the road.

Now some other techniques to think about... if the association will not complain... put some rigid foam insulation over the windows and doors....I have a neighbor with a lot of glass who does this, and has mentioned it has made a dramatic difference in his winter heating cost.... additionally as some mentioned there are monitoring systems you can buy.... some so advanced that you can change the thermostat settings remotely... I don't know what the cost is like... but the technology is there to do some creative things... if you can monitor conditions inside, and pay attention to the weather.... warm things up when the outside temp is warmer... and then set the temperature back down....

anyways hope these thoughts give you ideas....
Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
WeirsBeachBoater

Love my monitor, and my $400 fuel bill from 3/09 to present
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater View Post
Love my monitor, and my $400 fuel bill from 3/09 to present
Without more context this post is pretty useless. You could be heating a 1 room studio apartment to 62degrees, or a 10,000 sqft home to 80 degrees.

One would be noteworthy, the other would not.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
Airwaves

We have two Rinnai direct vent heaters at our place that use propane. I leave them on L (about 50 degrees) all winter and leave the door to the bathroom open. I have never had problems with pipes freezing.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
WeirsBeachBoater

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Without more context this post is pretty useless. You could be heating a 1 room studio apartment to 62degrees, or a 10,000 sqft home to 80 degrees.

One would be noteworthy, the other would not.
Sorry. I heat my condo just under 1,200 sq ft, at approx 66 degrees from Oct thru April depending on when the cold weather lets up. If it gets around zero I may have to turn my electric heat up in the back bathroom to take the chill off. But otherwise the monitor works well. Yes the living and kitchen area are open concept, but there is a small hallway to the bedrooms and I stay plenty warm.

Hope this gives you CONTEXT.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #14
bigdog

Default Monitor Heater ?

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback !

I don't think I described my condo unit, but much like WeirsBeachBoater....
About 1200 sf, open kitchen-dining area, which flows into Living room. Upstairs, has 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, with central hallway. Very efficient design.

Unit seems fairly well insulated, built in mid 80's. Have installed some Levelor insulated blinds on 2 drafty windows, which seem to help. Also, using insulating spray foan outside, around some windows, doors, which could be problem areas. Will repaint those areas when weather warms up !

Sounds like a monitor heater could supplement my main heating source. I know there are other condo units in complex, which have Electric heat, but also use a monitor heating with 'kerosene' to supplement. Seems to work good for all those folks.

On that note, I burn oil, and to change to kerosene, just to burn for monitor heater would cost more in the long run I think? Kerosene seems to be running about $.50 cents more per gallon than oil. 275 gal tank X $.50, would be almost $140 per tankful. Not a saving right out of the gate, but maybe in the long run ? TBD ? Would have to recapture that cost first, to determine actual savings?

Will have to review all options and costs with my HVAC contractor.

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated !

BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
fatlazyless

The only reason that I know why kero is used instead of oil is because when the tank gets stored in an unheated area (outside), the oil will get very thick and wax-like in deep-cold while kero remains fluid. Gooey thick cold oil will clog up the tiny spritzer hole in the nozzle and cause a shut-down. Sometimes, kero get mixed with oil 50/50 to keep it fluid and usable in the deep-freeze. As long as the tank is stored in a somewhat heated space, then oil is very good and costs less.

A Toyo or a Toyotomi can out-perform a Monitor, any day of the week, and twice on Sundays!