Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Blogs Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
StuMont
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Campfire Girls at Camp Andover 1950

Hello everyone.

I’m a first time poster looking for some information on Camp Andover at Lake Winnipesaukee c1950.

My dear mother, Marion Jack, was a member of the Codman Square, Dorchester, Massachusetts Campfire Girls in 1950/1. She has often told me about a camp she attended in 1950 at Camp Andover on Lake Winnipesaukee and I know she would dearly love to hear from any other campers from that time.

I’ve heard about the open air services held on Sundays in a clearing where a tree had been fashioned into a cross and where the organ was encased in stone. Also, she’s told me about mock trials the girls would perform where the ‘judge’ wore a string mop as a wig and would serve forfeits on the miscreants. My mother, for example, had to tread barefoot in pot of cold spaghetti having been found guilty of talking in her sleep!

I’m afraid she’s unable to recall any names save that the ‘Aunty’ of her cabin/tent was Betty and that she formed a friendship with Eleanor from another Campfire Girls group attending the camp.

My mother emigrated from Grangemouth, Scotland, to USA in July’49 and, whilst the family returned to Scotland in April ‘51, she has nothing but fond memories of the time she spent in the US, particularly whilst at Camp Andover.

I know she has some photos that she took at the time (which I’ll endeavour to copy and post here) but unfortunately has none of herself at the camp. She also still has a cream-coloured vinyl disc recording made by the Campfire Girl whilst at the camp in 1950 featuring “One Nine Five Oh at Andover”/”Peace I Ask of You Oh River”. She recalls that this was recorded in the camp’s dining room.

Here’s hoping I’ve sparked off some memories for someone who can help.

Kind regards,

StuMont
StuMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
GreensKeeper
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Winnipesaukee or Winnisquam

There was a Camp Andover on Lake Winnisquam and from your description it sounds like it was the one on Winnisquam.
Short history: The Boston Missionary Society owned several hundred acres on Winnisquam and developed it into a boys camp called Camp Waldron. The camp fell on financial hard times and in order to survive they developed another camp on the northern end of the property called Camp Andover for girls. I think that may have happen around 1950 but just a guess. I have several pictures of the camp and a brochure for new campers.
The land was sold to a developer who developed the property into home sites which is now Waldron Bay. It is located on the north west side of the lake.
GreensKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
StuMont
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Many thanks for your response, GreensKeeper.

Spoke to my mother last night and the info you passed re The Boston Missionary Society rang a bell with her. She also recalled that there was a boys camp nearby that they competed with so it all adds up.

I’ll do a little more sniffing around for more information now that we have the correct location.

Would it be possible to see the photos of Camp Andover that you have?

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Kind regards,

StuMont
StuMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Mee-n-Mac
Senior Member
 
Mee-n-Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,943
Thanks: 23
Thanked 111 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMont View Post
Many thanks for your response, GreensKeeper.
Spoke to my mother last night and the info you passed re The Boston Missionary Society rang a bell with her. She also recalled that there was a boys camp nearby that they competed with so it all adds up.
I’ll do a little more sniffing around for more information now that we have the correct location.
Would it be possible to see the photos of Camp Andover that you have?
Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Kind regards,
StuMont

I'll see if my mother knows (remembers) anything. My parents ran a girls camp on Winnisquam (????) back at that time. I don't recall it being Camp Andover but the name escapes me at the moment.
__________________
Mee'n'Mac
"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity or ignorance. The latter are a lot more common than the former." - RAH
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
GreensKeeper
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Camp Andover pictures.

All the pictures I have are small black and white prints. None are in a digital format that I could send you. If you are ever in this area, my wife and I would gladly show you want we do have. We have a collection of prints taken by another camper from the boys camp and assorted post cards and such.
Sorry, couldn't be of more help. I could scan them but the photos are wallet size and would not work well with my scanner.
I have tried to scan one of the brochures I have but they are in a .tif format that is not supported by this site. I will try and send them to you privately.
GreensKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
StuMont
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks Mee-n-Mac & GreensKeeper.

I managed to get copies of my mother's photos and have attempted (with limited success) to add them to PhotoPost. They're awaiting approval as I write so hopefully will be there once this post is logged.

I'm afraid the picture quality is not up to much but hopefully they will be good enough for someone to recognise themself or perhaps a relation or friend.

I do have a few more photos of more of the girls and the camp which I'll try to upload soon (I'm short of time at the moment having to kids to bathe and put to bed).

Kind regards,

StuMont
StuMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
annasan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Camps Andover & Waldron

Hey - I'm a first-timer, too! I joined this site after a BING search for camp Andover. Maybe I can add to the previous posters history & inquiries. You've already filled in the blanks in a few areas. Like the Boston Missionary Society. During "my" years we'd board a bus across from the State House, on Park St? Near the Parker House? I'm really stretching,now, across 50 yrs of east coast memories. Have lived on west coast since 1974 so all that seems like a dream!
I was 9 or 10 when I started at Camp Andover, coming from Newton MA - the poorer side of Newton! ' cuz I usually got a "campership" tt camp. The average stay was 2 wks & I was awful homesick for 1st year or 2. I hope to scan & post some old pix c.1962-66 if I can dig them out.
And I, too, fondly recall the outdoor chapel; & calling the international staff "Auntie" or "Uncle", and some (maybe CIT's - counselors in training?) were just "cousin". Both camps dined together, did KP together,sang songs, and drank "bug juice". Many of the songs have survived my memory - especially the "Peace I Ask of Thee o River" which was followed by "Abide
With Me" - the last note of the 1st song was the 1st note of the next! And don't forget Kum-by-ah & s'mores!!
We called the bathrooms "Suzies" (for the boys,"John's, of course!) and as little kids, we were told the story of "The Laconia Hound" who would 'get' us if we went outside at nite. Some of us got so scared we'd sooner wet the bed than got to the suzie to pee!!
I've kept my love of all things camp alive by becoming involved in camp as an adult. In '84 I was the Camp Nurse @ a now-90-yr-old Camp Fire camp on Mt Hood, Oregon for the summer. That cemented my desire to continue my education & get my degree as a Registered Nurse. In the 2000's I was an R.N. volunteer for a week here & there as well as an active alumni member.
I'll sign off for now - if there's still an interest, I'll be happy to write more. Maybe even of my mishaps that got me a go-home-early-pass my last year there. I ran away, got as farm as Swain Farm (which I recall as being on the road to camp), spooked by an owl, and in beau-coup trouble with Aunt Sarah!!!
- thanx for listening, er . . . reading!
annasan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to annasan For This Useful Post:
jddel (02-26-2014), Tallyho (07-03-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
Waldron
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Camps Andover & Waldron

I attended Camp Waldron (for boys) during the summers of 1969, 1971, and 1973.

In 1969 I was in Cooper Cabin, in 71’ in Ellison Cabin, and in 1973 Wilderness Outpost, which consisted of tents on platforms ½ mile from the main camp. At Wilderness outpost the campers spent 10 out of the 14 days away from the camp. We canoed down the Connecticut River for 5 days, and hiked the Appalachian Trail for 5 days. The few days we actually spent at the camp were just a blur.

It was a life changer, I learned how to swim, to appreciate the outdoors, we climbed Mount Ladd, there was a particular tough section called the “Lemon Squeeze” and I learned how to handle a canoe. I remember the outdoor chapel, the mile swim, off-bug spray (which never worked) flashlights with the orange cones, war-canoe races on Lake Winnisquam, and bug juice which was a refreshing relief from the summer heat.

One of my most memorable experiences was actually away from the camp when Ellison cabin went hiking in the White Mountain National forest. We climbed a section called the “three sisters” and spent the night at an old watchtower 30’ above the forest floor. The wind was blowing at 50+ mph and the tower was rocking back and forth seemingly ready to tip over any second – It was the most terrifying night of my life
Waldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #9
RLW
Senior Member & Forum Greeter
 
RLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alton Bay on the mountain by a lake
Posts: 1,847
Thanks: 455
Thanked 351 Times in 270 Posts
Smile

Waldron, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

__________________
There is nothing better than living on Alton Mountain & our grand kids visits.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #10
Waldron
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you, I see you’re a Navy vet well I’m an Air Force vet. I was assigned to North Truro Air Force Station on Cape Cod back in late 70s to early 1980s.

What originally drew my attention to this forum was the hope of engaging in some dialog concerning Camps Andover & Waldron. My memories are as vivid today as they were 45 years ago during the summer of 69'
Waldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH / Breckenridge CO
Posts: 3,547
Thanks: 1,616
Thanked 570 Times in 383 Posts
Default

The bug juice that they give you
They say are might fine
They're good for cuts and bruises
and they taste like iodine!
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #12
Waldron
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

There are dozens of versions of that song; the one I’m most familiar with….

The girls in the air force
They say are mighty fine
You ask for Farrah Fawcett
They give you Frankenstein
Oh, I don’t want no more of air force life
Gee mom I wanna go, but they won’t let me go
Gee mom, I want to go home
Waldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #13
RLW
Senior Member & Forum Greeter
 
RLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alton Bay on the mountain by a lake
Posts: 1,847
Thanks: 455
Thanked 351 Times in 270 Posts
Smile

StuMont, While I was browsing I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum after joining back in June 2009. We are glad that you have come aboard and joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for posting and making a request for some info and giving us some insight.




Quote:
Originally Posted by StuMont View Post
Hello everyone.

I’m a first time poster looking for some information on Camp Andover at Lake Winnipesaukee c1950.

My dear mother, Marion Jack, was a member of the Codman Square, Dorchester, Massachusetts Campfire Girls in 1950/1. She has often told me about a camp she attended in 1950 at Camp Andover on Lake Winnipesaukee and I know she would dearly love to hear from any other campers from that time.

I’ve heard about the open air services held on Sundays in a clearing where a tree had been fashioned into a cross and where the organ was encased in stone. Also, she’s told me about mock trials the girls would perform where the ‘judge’ wore a string mop as a wig and would serve forfeits on the miscreants. My mother, for example, had to tread barefoot in pot of cold spaghetti having been found guilty of talking in her sleep!

I’m afraid she’s unable to recall any names save that the ‘Aunty’ of her cabin/tent was Betty and that she formed a friendship with Eleanor from another Campfire Girls group attending the camp.

My mother emigrated from Grangemouth, Scotland, to USA in July’49 and, whilst the family returned to Scotland in April ‘51, she has nothing but fond memories of the time she spent in the US, particularly whilst at Camp Andover.

I know she has some photos that she took at the time (which I’ll endeavour to copy and post here) but unfortunately has none of herself at the camp. She also still has a cream-coloured vinyl disc recording made by the Campfire Girl whilst at the camp in 1950 featuring “One Nine Five Oh at Andover”/”Peace I Ask of You Oh River”. She recalls that this was recorded in the camp’s dining room.

Here’s hoping I’ve sparked off some memories for someone who can help.

Kind regards,

StuMont
__________________
There is nothing better than living on Alton Mountain & our grand kids visits.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #14
RLW
Senior Member & Forum Greeter
 
RLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alton Bay on the mountain by a lake
Posts: 1,847
Thanks: 455
Thanked 351 Times in 270 Posts
Smile

annasan, While I was browsing I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum after joining back in June 2013. We are glad that you have come aboard and joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for posting and passing on some good info.




Quote:
Originally Posted by annasan View Post
Hey - I'm a first-timer, too! I joined this site after a BING search for camp Andover. Maybe I can add to the previous posters history & inquiries. You've already filled in the blanks in a few areas. Like the Boston Missionary Society. During "my" years we'd board a bus across from the State House, on Park St? Near the Parker House? I'm really stretching,now, across 50 yrs of east coast memories. Have lived on west coast since 1974 so all that seems like a dream!
I was 9 or 10 when I started at Camp Andover, coming from Newton MA - the poorer side of Newton! ' cuz I usually got a "campership" tt camp. The average stay was 2 wks & I was awful homesick for 1st year or 2. I hope to scan & post some old pix c.1962-66 if I can dig them out.
And I, too, fondly recall the outdoor chapel; & calling the international staff "Auntie" or "Uncle", and some (maybe CIT's - counselors in training?) were just "cousin". Both camps dined together, did KP together,sang songs, and drank "bug juice". Many of the songs have survived my memory - especially the "Peace I Ask of Thee o River" which was followed by "Abide
With Me" - the last note of the 1st song was the 1st note of the next! And don't forget Kum-by-ah & s'mores!!
We called the bathrooms "Suzies" (for the boys,"John's, of course!) and as little kids, we were told the story of "The Laconia Hound" who would 'get' us if we went outside at nite. Some of us got so scared we'd sooner wet the bed than got to the suzie to pee!!
I've kept my love of all things camp alive by becoming involved in camp as an adult. In '84 I was the Camp Nurse @ a now-90-yr-old Camp Fire camp on Mt Hood, Oregon for the summer. That cemented my desire to continue my education & get my degree as a Registered Nurse. In the 2000's I was an R.N. volunteer for a week here & there as well as an active alumni member.
I'll sign off for now - if there's still an interest, I'll be happy to write more. Maybe even of my mishaps that got me a go-home-early-pass my last year there. I ran away, got as farm as Swain Farm (which I recall as being on the road to camp), spooked by an owl, and in beau-coup trouble with Aunt Sarah!!!
- thanx for listening, er . . . reading!
__________________
There is nothing better than living on Alton Mountain & our grand kids visits.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
RLW
Senior Member & Forum Greeter
 
RLW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alton Bay on the mountain by a lake
Posts: 1,847
Thanks: 455
Thanked 351 Times in 270 Posts
Smile

jddel, While browsing I noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

I see that you made a thanks, but haven't posted. Please feel free to drop in and start or add to a thread.

__________________
There is nothing better than living on Alton Mountain & our grand kids visits.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #16
bclaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Laconia
Posts: 377
Thanks: 415
Thanked 127 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldron View Post
Camps Andover & Waldron

I attended Camp Waldron (for boys) during the summers of 1969, 1971, and 1973.

In 1969 I was in Cooper Cabin, in 71’ in Ellison Cabin, and in 1973 Wilderness Outpost, which consisted of tents on platforms ½ mile from the main camp. At Wilderness outpost the campers spent 10 out of the 14 days away from the camp. We canoed down the Connecticut River for 5 days, and hiked the Appalachian Trail for 5 days. The few days we actually spent at the camp were just a blur.

It was a life changer, I learned how to swim, to appreciate the outdoors, we climbed Mount Ladd, there was a particular tough section called the “Lemon Squeeze” and I learned how to handle a canoe. I remember the outdoor chapel, the mile swim, off-bug spray (which never worked) flashlights with the orange cones, war-canoe races on Lake Winnisquam, and bug juice which was a refreshing relief from the summer heat.

One of my most memorable experiences was actually away from the camp when Ellison cabin went hiking in the White Mountain National forest. We climbed a section called the “three sisters” and spent the night at an old watchtower 30’ above the forest floor. The wind was blowing at 50+ mph and the tower was rocking back and forth seemingly ready to tip over any second – It was the most terrifying night of my life
On Labor Day 1970(?) I climbed Mount Chocorua and spent the night in the Jim Liberty Cabin, with 5 others. As it got dark we sat outside watching both a full moon and a forest fire creep, up over Mount Whittier. The next morning I hiked over to Middle Sister and got lost on the way back and decided to just keep going rather than go back and find the trail. I ended up down over a steep cliff. With luck I was able to get back up, with the help of a 1" bush, without it breaking loose. What is it that makes Middle Sister so scary? Maybe Chocorua's curse!!!
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #17
RailroadJoe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 609
Thanks: 257
Thanked 157 Times in 99 Posts
Default

I think I was one of the last at the cabin about 14 years ago.. Seems some people were taking it apart for fire wood. I think it has been gone awhile.
RailroadJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #18
Waldron
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaker View Post
On Labor Day 1970(?) I climbed Mount Chocorua and spent the night in the Jim Liberty Cabin, with 5 others. As it got dark we sat outside watching both a full moon and a forest fire creep, up over Mount Whittier. The next morning I hiked over to Middle Sister and got lost on the way back and decided to just keep going rather than go back and find the trail. I ended up down over a steep cliff. With luck I was able to get back up, with the help of a 1" bush, without it breaking loose. What is it that makes Middle Sister so scary? Maybe Chocorua's curse!!!

Looks like we followed in your footsteps one year removed. Not certain what it is about Chocorua but the only other mountain I’ve climbed that holds a similar mystique was Mount Moosilauke.
Waldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

This page was generated in 0.33117 seconds