Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Hermit Cover

Thumbs up Waldo Peppers Moving!!!

Breaking News!!!! Leave it to the LDS to scoop the WSJ, NYT, WP, and the MUL......Pepper's is leaving the Weirs and will relocate to Gilford on the lot that had been Nader's Auto World. Seating for 100 and lots of parking....and most importantly a varied menu, family restaurant serving THREE meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner.....Yippee!!!! Bruce and Barbara Foster (Our Waldo and Pepper)..are brilliant. What a coup....'Waldo Peppers' will surely serve as a "restaurant anchor" to the growing development that is taking place on that corner of of our region. How exciting is this???....way to go Bruce and Barbara. Stay tuned...........
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
Skip

Thumbs up Waldo's Story!

Name:  waldo1.JPG
Views: 4498
Size:  42.3 KB
Name:  waldo2.JPG
Views: 4504
Size:  110.6 KB
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Island Life

You know what would make me order from there A LOT? If they delivered to the Glendale Public Docks.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Silver Duck

Talking Best of Luck!

Bruce & Barbara are great folks, and Waldo Pepper's is one of my favorite places.

While I'll miss the current Waldo Pepper's, I look forward to enjoying the new location even more!

Best of luck to them! I think that we should all plan on giving them one heck of an opening day once the new place is ready.

Silcer Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
GWC...

Here's Google's version of the new location...

P.S.- Convenient to Lowe's, too...
Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
NHskier

My wife and I will very much miss Waldo Peppers at the Weirs as it was just a quick walk from our slip at Thurstons. But I certainly can understand the advantages of location, traffic, and seasonality. And no doubt we'll still be stopping by for the best lobster roll around. Yum

Best wishes for the new location!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
phoenix

so when will the move happen??
Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
Pepper

Talking We're so EXCITED!

Well we are thrilled to see that you are all happy for us! We are, needless to say, extremely excited about this wonderful new location where we will be able to offer a truly family-dining experience.

This has all been made possible because we have joined forces with our dear friends, Janet and Walter Hutchinson, who are our partners in this new endeavor. This has been a dream for all four of us for some time now, and we are truly blessed to have this dream come to fruition.

We have a lot of work ahead of us as we undertake renovations on the building, therefore it is impossible to give an exact date when we will open. Obviously we hope to open as soon as possible.

More than anything, we want to thank all of you for your years of loyal support and friendship, and we look forward to bringing you even more of what you've come to expect from Waldo Peppers!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
secondcurve

I'm not that familiar with the area they are relocating to. Is it within walking distance to Glendale? We used to take the boat over to Weirs for lunch at the old location. Not sure if this will be possible at the new location.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #10
Argie's Wife

What a smart move! We're jazzed!!

Congrats on your continued success!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:59 AM   #11
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I'm not that familiar with the area they are relocating to. Is it within walking distance to Glendale? We used to take the boat over to Weirs for lunch at the old location. Not sure if this will be possible at the new location.
It would be a long walk... This is down near the Wendy's and shopping plazas just past the bypass, heading towards Laconia. A few miles away from the docks.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #12
wMw

Default Awwwwww!

Seems like a great business decision...and Janet is one of my favorite people in the Weirs. You are heading to a very good location with great partners.

Oh, but I am going to miss being able to walk up from my house in the Weirs. Couldn't you consider becoming a small chain of 2 awesome eateries?

Best of luck!

wMw

Sing...Dance...Love...Live deliberately!!!
wMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Great move,you guys. Best of luck and call if you need anything.With the economy they way it is,that kind of operation should do very well....especially considering the great meals you put out.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:43 AM   #14
Pepper

SecondCurve - it would indeed be a very long walk! The new location is just east of the Laconia Savings Bank across from Walmart Plaza.

Argie's Wife - Yup! We're jazzed too!

wMw - and all our other loyal customer's in the Weirs - we're sad that we must leave you, but it is truly a matter of survival in a neighborhood with continually declining traffic.

Sam - you're always there for your friends. You've been so much help over the years, and it's nice to know we can always call you for guidance! You rock.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
codeman671

I am very excited. We typically end up at the Diner for a quick meal when going onshore for groceries, there is not much in that area without going further down into Laconia.

I think the other woman in my life, as my wife calls her (Wendy's) will miss me greatly

Now if you can only get it up and running by ice out
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #16
hazelnut

YES! Now we have a place to eat when we do our regular WAL-MART trips. In the summer we usually come "off island/off boat" once a week to head to "Wally World." Peppers is now going to be even more of a reason to make those trips!

Last time Pepper spoiled my twins with cookies after lunch. She definitely knows the way to win them over. Great marketing idea get the kids to love it and you know they'll be back! Oh yeah the food is really good too!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #17
Newbiesaukee

Well, it is a little longer for Mrs. N and me, but nothing worth it is easy. Besides, it gives me a destination for the required "ride around the lake" when we have guests ( which seems like all the time). Best of luck on the new venture.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #18
Gatto Nero

Will the plane be making the flight over to the new location?
Old 04-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #19
pmj

Oh this is the best news! That area so needs family owned and operated restaurants. I am very excited and happy for you, Pepper! Best of luck.
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
sa meredith

Default I'll miss them...

Well, I certainly can see the move as a step forward for them. Congratulations!
But I will miss the lobster roll...I could easily pass by on my way to the Marina, late on Friday mornings. I'm sure business will be much better in the new location. The Weirs area...there's a topic all unto itself. I read something earlier in this thread that seemed so appropriate...something like "you have only 12 weeks to make it as a business in the Weirs area" (something to that effect). And it make so much sense. It seems, at times, travelling thru that area, one might even considered "depressed"or "run down". Soooooo different (yet so much alike) than I remember, as a kid in the 70's, visiting with my parents for vacation each summer. There would be crowds everywhere. It's like, the place never changed with the times. The land that time forgot type stuff.
Look at Wolfeboro...it's old, but like a mint condition classic car, it has great appeal. The Weirs is just plain old!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #21
Waterbaby

Default Closing Date for the Original Location?

Pepper, will you be keeping the original location open until the new place opens, or are all efforts being geared to Gilford?

Best of luck to you all in the new place -- this should make it a lot easier for a lot of people to find you!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #22
RI Swamp Yankee

I was at The Weirs area in February (school vacation week) and it was desolate. I knew WP was open this Winter so "where to eat" was not a question. What to eat was problematic, so many good choices. While looking over the menu I commented to my wife that I had heard the pulled pork was good. A young man in front of me hear that, turned around and said "the pulled pork is awesome man". Problem solved. I also just had to try the onion rings so it was a (big) half sandwich and rings. The pulled pork was excellent with a really good BBQ sauce. The rings were excellent too. Now my list of favorites is longer. I think hot buttered Lobsta is still at the top though.

While I will miss the old location (us Swamp Yankees don't take change easily) I know I will find the new location. Best of luck to "Waldo" and "Pepper" on the new location.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #23
Pepper

To answer a few questions:

We have already ceased operation in the Weirs.

Yes, the plane will be making the move to Gilford with us! Ya just can't have Waldo's without the plane!

And to all, we are so excited about this new location, and are glad to see that so many of you are, too!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #24
Hermit Cover

Default Too Early....

to start getting excited about getting the Forum Fest-ers together for a Summer Kickoff ( A time to say hello to the new Fest-ers anxious to get together with the old timers)....Now....If We Only Had A Really Great and NEW place to gather.....Hmmm...Let us think about that one!???? We'd probably need a place with at least 90+ seats....and food for the Winter-Weary....Sunshine-Starved Fest-ers. Let's give this some thought.....Where....Where???
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #25
Waterbaby

Default How's About Lyon's Den?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover View Post
to start getting excited about getting the Forum Fest-ers together for a Summer Kickoff ( A time to say hello to the new Fest-ers anxious to get together with the old timers)....Now....If We Only Had A Really Great and NEW place to gather.....Hmmm...Let us think about that one!???? We'd probably need a place with at least 90+ seats....and food for the Winter-Weary....Sunshine-Starved Fest-ers. Let's give this some thought.....Where....Where???
I haven't been yet but this would give me doubly purr-fect excuses to make the trip up!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #26
White Rook
Deceased Member

Smile Looking Forward To Your New Location ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
To answer a few questions:

We have already ceased operation in the Weirs.

Yes, the plane will be making the move to Gilford with us! Ya just can't have Waldo's without the plane!

And to all, we are so excited about this new location, and are glad to see that so many of you are, too!
Hi Pepper,

Nancy and I look forward to seeing you. We both wish you the very best for health, happiness, and success!
Old 04-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #27
Lin

Congratulations Waldo and Pepper on the new move. Can't wait to try breakfast there!! We will be by to visit for sure.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #28
Waterbaby

Default Hello Mr. HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover View Post
I hope you don't mind, I'm going to "jump the gun" a bit and start a thread on General about this -- and refer to your post here............. perhaps get some people interested, and ask for location suggestions.......... I really am not sure how to organize this but I have a feeling I'll end up doing it by default, lol.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:22 AM   #29
SIKSUKR

Congrats Bruce and Barbara on the new location.I know it well as it was a good friends car dealership before Nader's.Selfishly it is a more central location for me so you will be seeing me a lot more as I go by there a lot.Now we know what Pepper has been doing while away from the forum.Good Luck!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #30
riverat

Great move! Closer to Alton and central to a lot of places we go regulary. Going to Weirs in the winter was a real bummer, watching it fade away is sad as I spent a lot of my childhood summers there. We just learned to squaredance and I believe they have squaredancing on Thursday nights on the Boardwalk during the summer months, so we will join them and try to do our small part in keeping the Weirs alive in spirit.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #31
jetskier

Talking Which building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Congrats Bruce and Barbara on the new location.I know it well as it was a good friends car dealership before Nader's.Selfishly it is a more central location for me so you will be seeing me a lot more as I go by there a lot.Now we know what Pepper has been doing while away from the forum.Good Luck!
Is this the building that currently houses the used car dealership with the BMWs near Wendy's?

Nice move BTW, you are much closer to South Down.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #32
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Is this the building that currently houses the used car dealership with the BMWs near Wendy's? ...
Nope - it's the one on the opposite side of the street, diagonally across from the entrance to WalMart Plaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Nice move BTW, you are much closer to South Down.
So we'll see you, the family, and your brother more often now, no?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:28 PM   #33
Lexxi

Default Growing !!!!!

Your theme song should be the one from the "Mary Tyler Moore Show"........We're going to make it after all..........

Congrats on your expansion! We will see you there !!!!!

Good Luck

Lexxi
Old 04-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #34
jetskier

Default Absolutely!

Quote:
Nope - it's the one on the opposite side of the street, diagonally across from the entrance to WalMart Plaza.

So we'll see you, the family, and your brother more often now, no?
We will make a point of it!

Jetskier
Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #35
Weirs guy

Just do us a favor Pepper and leave a light on in the old place, kinda dark now with you close and Gulbicki's gone....

Good luck in your new location, will you use the garage bay for drive up?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #36
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy View Post
Just do us a favor Pepper and leave a light on in the old place, kinda dark now with you close and Gulbicki's gone....

Good luck in your new location, will you use the garage bay for drive up?
Knock down the back wall and use it for drive through service, with the added bonus of offering an oil change while waiting for your order.

LOF = Lube, Oil, and Food...
Old 04-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #37
ghfromaltonbay

Thumbs up Closer to Joisey!

Pepper,

Good luck with the new location!! It's closer to Joisey, and even closer to Alton Bay. GTXrider and I will have to bring the folks. We travel up that way often enough to visit Walmart, Lowe's & the Wining Butcher.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #38
Pepper

Quote:
Just do us a favor Pepper and leave a light on in the old place, kinda dark now with you close and Gulbicki's gone.... ...
It really is dark, isn't it? With the General Store gone too, the only light left now is Jose and Stacy's place. I'm sure it won't be long at all, when someone will move into our old place, and light will shine again. Whoever they are, I wish them well.

Quote:
... Good luck in your new location, will you use the garage bay for drive up?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #39
Pepper

GH - since Lowe's is your dad's favorite store in the whole wide world, I imagine you'll be in my neighborhood a lot!
Old 04-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #40
sa meredith

Default Very curious...

I'm curious, if Pepper would tell us...Is operating a year round buisness at the Weirs, simply not a viable option at this point? I imagine your opinion would be "well informed".
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #41
Pepper

sa meredith - I suppose there are some businesses which could be viable year-round there, but not a restaurant.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #42
DRH

Default Great New Location!

Pepper - Just wanted to add QL's and my best wishes for success at your new Gilford location! It's quite a bit closer to our house, too!
Old 04-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #43
Island Girl

Default Oh No

Now I will have to get in my car... instead of boating on over... then again across the street from Home Goods... hmmmm ... lovin' it already.

Good luck to you and Bruce!!!
IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #44
topwater

I have always heard wonderful things about Waldo Peppers, I am just curious if Pepper does all the cooking or is there a kitchen staff. I have never heard anything about other cooks, or other people who may help to make the resturant a success?
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:25 AM   #45
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
Now I will have to get in my car... instead of boating on over... then again across the street from Home Goods... hmmmm ... lovin' it already.

Good luck to you and Bruce!!!
IG
Think of all the fuel you'll save by visiting with the car instead of the boat!

Plus, you can carpool with DRH and QL, thereby saving even more fuel!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #46
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Not Really Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
I have always heard wonderful things about Waldo Peppers, I am just curious if Pepper does all the cooking or is there a kitchen staff. I have never heard anything about other cooks, or other people who may help to make the resturant a success?
Topwater, I work for thr city and I go in there all the time for lunch. I might be wrong but I don't think Pepper has worked there for over a year. I heard she got another job and I saw her working at Lowes in Rochester, NH, so she's certainly not doing the cooking now. Someone told me Waldo has been out fixing cars since last summer too. I haven't seen him at Waldo Pepper's for a long time. The woman that is always behind the counter at the restaurant told her one of her friends that I know that she has been running it. The food has gotten better recently too. I'll try the new place when they open and post a report.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #47
Pepper

As most longtime readers of this forum know, I have been working for Lowe's since November of 2006. When it becomes difficult to survive an economic downturn, one must do what one must do. I must admit it's awfully nice to work for a large corporation, as they provide health insurance, dental, disability and a 401K as well.
Waldo has in fact spent the winter months doing automotive work. Once again, one must do what one must do.

Our youngest son who has always worked with us, also has a second job outside of Waldo's as well. He's heading off to college in the fall, and needs to earn as much as he can for tuition.

Gail has been a manager at Waldo's for the past six years, and since I have been working elsewhere she has very nicely filled my shoes! Her sister, her son, and her neice are all valued members of the staff at Waldo's as well. We also seasonally employ numerous foreign students, as well as local students. Much of the reasoning behind our working elsewhere is that it enables us to continue providing employment to these loyal employees - if the business does not have to support us, it can support them.

Now, to answer the question of who does the cooking - everybody who works there contributes to the effort. We have always lived by the philosophy that involving staff members in each step of the process engages them in the product, which instills pride in their work, and understanding of the hard work put forth by their team mates.

We have been blessed with many fabulous employees over the years, and look forward to providing them a new workplace where they can enjoy year-round traffic.

I will continue to work for Lowe's, as it makes the best economic sense for our future. I can do so knowing that our hardworking and loyal staff are ready to continue the traditions we have all worked so hard to build.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #48
Mr. V

Hi Pepper!

Your working at Lowe's and Bruce wrenching again underscores the apparent difficulty of making a good living in the lakes region.

Even with a good product (your food is great) the long winter and weak population base can drive you crazy.

New Hampshire is a hardscrabble state, a rough place to get ahead.

I thank myself time and time again for choosing to move West (Portland, Oregon) as opposed to Laconia when it came time to make my move.

It's just a pretty (actually, much nicer) here, and there are lots of people, and lots of money to be made.

Best of luck, and hope to munch a cheese steak and some pizza at your new location.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #49
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Hi Pepper!

Your working at Lowe's and Bruce wrenching again underscores the apparent difficulty of making a good living in the lakes region.

New Hampshire is a hardscrabble state, a rough place to get ahead.

I thank myself time and time again for choosing to move West (Portland, Oregon) as opposed to Laconia when it came time to make my move.

It's just a pretty (actually, much nicer) here, and there are lots of people, and lots of money to be made.

Don't know what you do for work but myself any many friends have prospered very well in NH.I'm glad you find it so wonderfull there in Portland.I've spent a lot of time in the Northwest and think it's nice but in my opinion I'll take NH anyday.I hope you have a wonderfull life on the left coast but there is no need of putting this beautifull part of the world down when you don't even live here.I'm sure the economy is no different than here.Aren't there some local boards in Portland you can access to voice your opinion instead?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #50
jetskier

Question Timing?

Hi Pepper,

My wife has been treking to Lowes every weekend for materials (we have a bit of a project going on). The thought occured that I did not know when the move would be complete and you would be open for business in the new location.

Jetskier
Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #51
Pepper

SS - I don't think Mr. V was intending to slam our fine State, although I can see how it could certainly be interpreted that way. He doesn't live here, but his entire family does, and he really does hold a deep affection for this area, even if his posts sometimes seem to suggest just the opposite.

JS - we're hoping to be open for Memorial Day! It'll be a tough feat, but we're doing our best to accomplish all that needs doing to ensure an opening as soon as possible.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #52
Lexxi

Default Exactly Where Is The Plane?????

Hey There,

We were up at the Lake on Saturday, what a beautiful day. We know Waldo Peppers is in the process of moving but Bob and I disagreed as to where your new location is. I told him it was the building across from Walmart with the windows all covered up and the green blazer sitting outside. He says not possible.........Help.......Or will we have to wait until the plane lands??????

Thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #53
AC2717

Default Pepper's Plane SIghting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxi View Post
Hey There,

We were up at the Lake on Saturday, what a beautiful day. We know Waldo Peppers is in the process of moving but Bob and I disagreed as to where your new location is. I told him it was the building across from Walmart with the windows all covered up and the green blazer sitting outside. He says not possible.........Help.......Or will we have to wait until the plane lands??????

Thanks
I Too was up this weekend and saw the plane and its pilots in the old used car lot and they were doing some painting to the outside of the building, I love the color!
Hey when are they getting all the cars out of the lot? or are you going to get a free used car with every lobster roll on Opening day?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #54
Mr. V

Quote:
Don't know what you do for work but myself any many friends have prospered very well in NH.I'm glad you find it so wonderfull there in Portland.I've spent a lot of time in the Northwest and think it's nice but in my opinion I'll take NH anyday.I hope you have a wonderfull life on the left coast but there is no need of putting this beautifull part of the world down when you don't even live here.I'm sure the economy is no different than here.Aren't there some local boards in Portland you can access to voice your opinion instead?
Gosh, sicksucker, such hostility.

Take a chill pill.

Better yet, go to Waldo Peppers and eat a cheese steak.

Then go jump in the lake.

Is your need to control situations so great that you have to butt in where it doesn't concern you?
Old 04-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #55
rrr

Default who needs the pill?

Mr. V- SIKSUKR was not hostile - we are all on this site because we love this area. You reminded us that NH is a tough place to make a living. We know that - but we love it anyway! Then you closed with a bit of mine is better that yours.

Like SIKSUKR I've spent time in Oregon too. It is a beautiful place and I look forward to returning for a visit - but I choose to live here. That's my choice - just as the northwest is yours.

No need to twist someone's name, tell them to take a pill and jump in the lake. That actually sounded more hositle than the post you were responding to! If your message was for Pepper alone - perhaps you should have PM'd her.

We're finally getting the rain we need here. How is it in Portland?
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #56
SIKSUKR

It funny how people read things different than others.I didn't see the purpose of putting down this area in this thread and took offense.If Pepper is ok then I'm good.Is there an opening target day yet Pepper?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #57
Mr. V

Sorry, my bad.

My point: NH is a beautiful place, no doubt about it.

The Lakes Region has many charms, and has enticed many people, including members of my family, to relocate there.

Which is fine; I almost moved there myself.

As the years pass by, I cannot help but note how difficult it seems for people to really get ahead there, economically.

Oh sure, it's easy enough to get by, but to really reach the brass ring seems very difficult.

Waldo Peppers offers a great product, and great people, and yet: the owners have to do other things in order to help them achieve their slice of the American Dream.

This is based on the Feast or Famine nature of the lakes region being a summer resort location, I suppose, coupled to the lack of population base, and a waning industrial / job base in Laconia.

Ask yourself this: do your best and brightest young people, those who are smart and ambitious and want to set the world on fire, stay in Laconia / the lakes region, or do they go elsewhere when ready to settle down and try to get things done?

People who arrive at the lake with money, especially those who are retired or who otherwise need not work, are in the best position to enjoy the area.

A young man or woman, in contrast, has little economic incentive to stick around; where are the jobs, the opportunities?

Of course, they can live there and commute, e.g. to Concord or Manchester, if they can find a good job, but it seems to me that there are too few jobs to go around, and commuting with gas approaching four bucks a gallon would seem less and less attractive.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #58
Weirs guy

Quote:
Oh sure, it's easy enough to get by, but to really reach the brass ring seems very difficult.
Guess that depends on which brass ring your grabbing for.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #59
twoplustwo

Thumbs up ditto Weirs Guy

I have to work two jobs to make it up here, but I'll take the peepers, bear, moose, lakes, mountains, fresh air, great schools, and great place to raise my kids over what I left in Philadelphia 15 years ago. Then again, I worked 60-70 hour weeks climbing the corporate ladder in Philly - might as well have been 2 jobs.

Living here IS my brass ring.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #60
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
....- we're hoping to be open for Memorial Day! ....
Now that is good news. I was hoping to get a lobsta roll at the end of June. hmm... and some rings ... and ......

ps. Any chance the web site will return with opening announcements?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #61
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
I have to work two jobs to make it up here, but I'll take the peepers, bear, moose, lakes, mountains, fresh air, great schools, and great place to raise my kids over what I left in Philadelphia 15 years ago. Then again, I worked 60-70 hour weeks climbing the corporate ladder in Philly - might as well have been 2 jobs.

Living here IS my brass ring.
I absolutely agree! I left Philadelphia just one year before you, and wouldn't return if someone offered me all the money in the world! My brass ring is the quality of life here!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #62
Mr. V

Quote:
I absolutely agree! I left Philadelphia just one year before you, and wouldn't return if someone offered me all the money in the world! My brass ring is the quality of life here!
I certainly agree that the intangible "quality of life" certainly seems better in NH than Philadelphia / NYC.

Less crime, less people, less...craziness.

I've seen most of America, and areas I've visited and considered worth settling down in included:

Lakes Region

Boulder / Nederland Colorado

Taos, New Mexico

Portland / Eugene.

All offer a great Quality of Life, but how does one support himself / herself upon relocation? ...That's the question.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #63
twoplustwo

Default I didn't know you were a Philly girl, Pepper!

I was in Yeadon before we moved up here, and was all over the place from West Philly (while they burned down MOVE and everything around it, oy) to Ardmore for a few. I'm a St. Joe's grad and suffered through a law firm, a small software developer, and several looong years at the Philly Stock Exchange before I traded in suits and Aigner bags for hiking boots and jeans. I like the jeans a lot better

I can't wait until you open up the new place, I want to pop in and say hi
Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #64
Pepper

Yo!

I'm from Prospect Park! We're old neighbors!!!

I had my share of stress jobs there, too. Law firm, Smith Barney, Glenmede, and Sunoco. I took advantage of Sun's first voluntary severance package and never looked back!

There's only one thing I miss from home ...
Federal Street Pretzels.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #65
twoplustwo

Default Yo!

Wow, small world!! I do miss pretzels, and Amoroso's rolls, and cannoli from Termini's at the Reading Terminal Market. I don't miss the fiberglass seats at JFK Stadium that left your backside itching after a Dead or Neil Young show or a ride on the 69th Street El. They got rid of JFK, now if they'd get rid of the El!!
Old 04-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #66
Pepper

Wow, the El. Haven't thought about that in a lot of years!

I can help you with the craving for Amoroso's rolls, though! Come see me after we open, and I'll introduce you to Quinzani's bread. It's as close as you'll ever get this far away. We can sit and have a cheesesteak together. * You can have it wit or witout. You'll be happy. Trust me.

* ya gotta be from Philly to understand that part...
Old 04-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #67
twoplustwo

Talking I'm laughing out loud here!

I'm a wit girl, I even like Whiz wit, although I'm partial to American! My ex husband says I bastardize the cheesesteak by putting mayo on it. I have to have Heinz and Hellman's, it's my cheesesteak way!
Old 04-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #68
Pepper

Whizwit, Heinz and Hellman's. No problem.

How about a Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak and some Herr's to go with that?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #69
Pepper

... and Jelly Krimpets for dessert!
Old 04-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #70
SIKSUKR

You can hold the whiz and the mayo.I'll take mine spread with Peppers infectious personality please.Boy can I lay it on thick!
Old 04-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #71
twoplustwo

Default you're making me hungry!

I love Herr's! But I prefer my Krimpets in Butterscotch form. I actually have a couple of boxes in the kitchen - my mother mails them to me. Yes, embarassing but true. My mother mails me Butterscotch Krimpets because she knows I miss them. You'd never know I'm 44 years old

Siksukr, that deserves an award or something. Are you on Pepper's payroll??
Old 04-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #72
Pepper

Hold on, I need to go get my waders ...

Old 04-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #73
Pepper

Butterscotch Krimpets ROCK!

Now if we're going to confession here, I must confess that every time I drive down to visit family I come home with a cooler filled with Porkroll and Scrapple. Beside that in the back of the car is usually a large grocery bag full of various Tastykakes.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #74
nicole

Quote:
Butterscotch Krimpets ROCK!

Now if we're going to confession here, I must confess that every time I drive down to visit family I come home with a cooler filled with Porkroll and Scrapple. Beside that in the back of the car is usually a large grocery bag full of various Tastykakes.
OMG sounds like me. I am originally from NJ and we always take about 5 coolers down with us-stock up on pork roll, tastycakes, Wawa ice tea, cold cuts, rolls, etc. We even wrap up pizza in foil and ziplocs to bring back. We really stock up. That is all we miss is some of the food-nothing else. Too funny-hubby and I are not the only one who stock up

I am partial to Butterscotch tastycakes but I also like the mint candy Tastycakes too

We are looking forward to you opening your new place-hopefully you will make Mem Day

Nicole
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #75
Loony Singer

Default secret cult

oh boy...here we go. I grew up in Upper Darby and later Villanove. As I write this, the freezer has a couple boxes of Butterscotch Krimpets in it, plus my all-time fave, Peanut Butter Kandy Kakes. They made me what I am today (for better or worse). I remember way back when you couldn't get em in the summer cuz the chocolate coating would melt. Oh, and there are a couple Taylor Pork Rolls in there, too. The really, really good news is that you can now get a limited selection of TastyCakes at Market Basket, at least the ones in the Boston area. Don't know about the big one in Tilton, but I'd bet they have 'em too.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #76
Merrymeeting

When you guys get back to speaking NH english, can you let us know?
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #77
Mr. V

Quote:
Yo!

There's only one thing I miss from home ...
Federal Street Pretzels.
Did someone say Philadelphia soft pretzels?

Crave no more!

http://www.atasteofphilly.com/
Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #78
twoplustwo

Default They're not Kandy Kakes!

They're Tandy Kakes! I don't know why they ever renamed them, but darn it, they are Tandy Kakes! Taylor Pork Roll fried up real nice with a side of scrambled eggs, mmmm mmmm!!

I think we need to have a Philly/Jersey reunion at Pepper's and clog our arteries together
Old 04-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #79
jrc

Quote:
I certainly agree that the intangible "quality of life" certainly seems better in NH than Philadelphia / NYC.

Less crime, less people, less...craziness.

I've seen most of America, and areas I've visited and considered worth settling down in included:

Lakes Region

Boulder / Nederland Colorado

Taos, New Mexico

Portland / Eugene.

All offer a great Quality of Life, but how does one support himself / herself upon relocation? ...That's the question.
Well first off if you leave Oregon you'll save the 9% state income tax, NH has zero. When I work for the oscilloscope guys, they all drooled over that. As I remember property taxes in Portland are no picnic either. So if you're working you can take home the same money on less salary here. Of course if you're retired NH will no look so good.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #80
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Well first off if you leave Oregon you'll save the 9% state income tax, NH has zero. When I work for the oscilloscope guys, they all drooled over that. As I remember property taxes in Portland are no picnic either. So if you're working you can take home the same money on less salary here. Of course if you're retired NH will no look so good.
You are correct.

But I do not live or work in Portland, although I hang out there a lot and take full advantage of the myriad cultural and other offerings of that absolutely wonderful city.

I live and work across the Columbia River from Portland, in Clark county, Washington.

There is no income tax here in Washington, therefore I pay no income tax.

Now, as luck would have it, Oregon (a mile or two away from my home, as the sea lion swims) has no sales tax.

I shop for all but the least expensive items in Oregon, and therefore pay little or no sales tax.

Thus, like you folk in NH, I pay no income tax and (essentially) no sales tax.

But what about that bane of us all, the real property tax?

That's the best of all ... (wait for it...) ... we have great, fully funded schools, superior city and county services, and my locale has a low real property tax rate.

Most of the money for government service comes from the state coffers, which is funded by income tax, of which I pay little or none.

Yeah, living on the border of Washington and Oregon and then milking the cow for free has its benefits.

Did I tell you that the Quality of Life here is to die for?

We all make our choices...
Old 05-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #81
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Siksukr, that deserves an award or something. Are you on Pepper's payroll??
Yup.I get paid with an emotional paycheck.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #82
ghfromaltonbay

Default Commuting from NJ -- place your orders

Gee, if I make my twice a month commutes from NJ to Alton Bay, maybe I can start a delivery service for Taylor Ham (as we call it in north jersey) and other delicacies. Pepper, I even brought some pork roll for DRH and Quilt Lady to try when you had the Waldo Pepper spring opening party in 2006. It was a first for them.

When I took my early exit from Verizon I toyed with the idea of starting a business sending ex-Jerseyites the delicacies they missed. I pictured a toll free # 1-800-I-MISS-NJ and shipping the goods packed in dry ice. Shortly after that an article in the paper showed 2 South Jersey women who had started a business shipping pork roll all over the USA to those who missed it.

In that vein, I did meet a man from CT at the Moultonborough Country Store who was buying several large orders of the cheddar cheese. He said he made a monthly trek and brought orders back home for friends and neighbors.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #83
Pepper

Default More neighbors!

Loony Singer - welcome to the secret cult!

I was having lunch one day in the breakroom at work, and noticed someone opening a dessert. The packaging was clear plastic, and the object within was clearly recognizable to me. I said to him "is that a Tastykake Creme-filled cupcake package?" He looked at me wide-eyed and said "Yes! How did you know that?" Turns out he'd been at Drexel for five years, and developed at taste for them. Then while wandering the aisles at Market Basket somewhere near Dover he spotted them on an endcap and nearly lost his mind! As yet I haven't seen them in the Tilton Market Basket, but I have put in a request to the management there.

On occassion I have also been able to find Scrapple in the freezer section at Vista on South Main Street in Laconia. Of course, it's not Habbersett's, but when you're this far from the source you can't be choosy.

Now the really exciting news is that Taylor Ham (porkroll) can be found at TWO local establishments here - The Gourmet Barn on Rte 3 in Lochmere, and at our beloved Wine'ing Butcher as well! The owners of the Gourmet Barn (known to many as Between-the-Bagel) are originally from Jersey, and have always had this as part of their menu. Not at all sure how the folks at the Wine'ing butcher found out about the stuff, but I'm darned glad they did!

now I'm hungry ...
Old 05-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #84
wifi

Default Sources

Heaths, in Center Harbor used to carry Taylor Ham (porkroll) until about a month ago, then it disappeared from the shelves, BUT, I did locate a good supply at Hunters (Wolfeboro)
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #85
twoplustwo

Default Jersey trek

GH - my ex (also lives here in MBoro) travels a ton for business, and he's from right near Metuchen. He's been known to drive back up with a ton of burgers from White Castle (AKA, 'a sack of rats' or ratburgers) because the frozen ones just aren't the same. Not a regional delicacy as I define it, but further proof that the very last thing that leaves home is your taste buds
Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #86
Mr. V

Quote:
Most of the money for government service comes from the state coffers, which is funded by income tax, of which I pay little or none.
S/B "sales tax," not "income tax."

oops
Old 05-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #87
Dave M

Default Philly at new restaurant

Pepper, maybe you ought to sell some of the Taskykakes,etc at a counter in your restaurant. Similar to buying pastry at some of the restaurants for breakfast.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #88
Loony Singer

Default the ultimate source for Philly Food

Not that I've ever been desperate enough to use it, but it's comforting to know it's there:

http://www.atasteofphilly.com

Kinda pricey, though...
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #89
Pepper

Default Pricey for sure!

Dave M - we've often thought about it, and researched it. As of yet we haven't found a supplier in the area that will sell to small establishments. Gotta buy in huge numbers, and we couldn't make that work.

Loony Singer - my thoughts exactly when I visited their site many years ago. Somebody's making a ton of $$ on that site!
Old 05-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #90
phoenix

Pepper is it going to get pretty hot under that quilt as the summer hits us
Old 05-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #91
Waterbaby

Quote:
.... I bastardize the cheesesteak by putting mayo on it.....
I LOVE mayo on my cheesesteak................ Thought I was the only person in NH that does! And what is the "whiz" part, is that cheesewhiz?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #92
twoplustwo

Default Whiz

Yup, it's Cheese Whiz. You had to order whiz wit - Cheese Whiz and fried onions after a night of college partying was so very fine
Old 05-05-2008, 07:02 AM   #93
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Friend or Foe?

Pepper: Some friendly competition? Friends of yours?
New Restaurant to be called KITCHEN CRAVINGS

Quote:
Currently the Bickfords are in the process of converting the old bank building off Lakeshore Road. The building has sat vacant for the last 10 years but Sally noted once they took a walk through, they immediately saw its potential.

When it is all said and done, Kitchen Cravings will have indoor seating for 54 patrons and a full kitchen constructed out of the old drive-up awning. Not just the indoor atmosphere, with historic photos from Gilford prominently displayed, the Bickfords plan to take full advantage of the nice weather and their surroundings.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #94
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Pepper: Some friendly competition? Friends of yours?
Wicked nice people! I had the opportunity to meet them at the Nadia's auction, and wish them the very best. They're putting their heart and soul into that property, and it's lookin' good!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #95
IslandSib

Default When??

Hey Pepper...
When are you opening...I have yet to be up and want to make sure I dont miss your opening....
Also will there be outside seating in case somone brought a four legged friend.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #96
Pepper

IslandSib - we're working like mad to get open as soon as possible. Hopefully in two weeks!

To answer your other question the answer is YES. There will be outdoor picnic tables overlooking the stream - it's quite pretty out there.

I'll post a better update as all the pieces start coming together.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #97
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Saw your "opening soon" sign,Pepper.......can't wait to stop in.I'll bet that the new location will be a huge success for you.Best of luck.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #98
SIKSUKR

Default Where's the plane?

Went by the new location yesterday and did not see the plane.It was a little sad to see the plane missing from the old WP's also.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #99
jetskier

Talking Needs to pay the landing fee

I heard that the airlines have offered her a newer plane as they are becoming un-economical due to fuel prices. Likely a 747.

We drove by this weekend and saw that the sign is up. It looks like a bit more work inside and some outside work is all that is needed.

Jetskier
Old 05-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #100
DRH

Default Plane's Still There!

Quote:
Went by the new location yesterday and did not see the plane.It was a little sad to see the plane missing from the old WP's also.
We drove by the new location this morning and the plane is still there, sitting on the left side of the property with the wings removed. The view of it from the road is mostly blocked by a large white truck, but it's still there!