Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
jads32

Default monitor heater

I'm looking to put a monitor heater (gas) in my camp in Gilford. Does anyone no where I can look for the best new/used?
jads32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
GusMan

Default Monitor heaters....

Hi Jads32,

When I had my place on Merrymeeting, we used a Monitor Heater as the sole heat source. It was already there when we purchased the house from people who used it year round.

The heater worked well (ours was kerosene, not gas) , but we started having problems with it over the winter. We after several service calls (and several hundred $$$$$) we decided to replace the entire unit with a new one, which worked flawlessly for the next year (we sold the house).

We dealt with Bay Street Discount (I believe that's the name... they are located in Back Bay in Wolfboro). I would highly recommend them. Their service calls were prompt and fairly affordable. And when we continued having problems with our original heater (which they said was pretty rare) they offered us full credit of the repair costs towards a new heater... which we took.

Another thing to consider with the monitor systems. While they are efficient (at least the kerosene one was) they are much better at *maintaining* temperature rather than bringing a house up to temperature. The ideal situation would be to have that heater as a primary heater, but to also have a wood or pellet stove to provided immediate and high temperature heating.

Had I kept my lake house long enough, that's what I would have done.

Best of luck....

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
Paugus Bay Resident

You can try:

Home Energy Products
170 Daniel Webster Highway
Belmont, NH 03220.
Tel: 603-524-2308

They sell both Monitor and Toyotomi. We've used them a couple of times and have been happy with products and installation.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan
Hi Jads32,

We dealt with Bay Street Discount (I believe that's the name... they are located in Back Bay in Wolfboro). I would highly recommend them.

Gusman
I'm pretty sure that they have moved to Ossipee
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
GWC...

Something that needs proper thought, prior to purchase. Monitors do not take kindly to water in your kerosene fuel tank, water delivered by the fuel company - how nice of them. The fuel tank was new and the fuel was its first.

So, some reading for your pleasure and general info:
http://www.alsheating.com/MonitorHeater.htm

May be of interest, if seriously considering a purchase:
http://www.alsheating.com/MonitorHea...ntsRepairs.htm

Hope this helps...
Old 10-21-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
Yankee

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)

Last edited by Yankee; 10-25-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
Long Island Baba

Default Monitor Heater

I know of someone selling their Monitor heater. Propane-run. Used it one season. Too powerful for the small house. If you want to get in touch with her, how can we do it?
Long Island Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:08 AM   #8
Mink Islander

Default Monitor Heaters

I own a 2000 vintage Monitor 2400 (kerosene) and have never had any problems. Since I have an island camp, it gets far less use than one in a full time home would and in fact sits unused for much of the winter but cranks right up when needed.

I remember seeing this link sometime after I bought mine and couldn't help but think this was a guy who must have been a former Monitor distributor and got ticked off for some reason so he's bent on defaming the product. A quality business wouldn't go to such lengths to flame a product the way he does if there weren't some underlying agenda a work. My 2 cents anyway.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote