Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
Captain Zipper

Thumbs up Johnson's Steak and Seafood - Rt. 11 - New Durham, NH

Has anyone eaten at this restaurant?

I was up visiting friends this past weekend and they took us there for ice cream. OH MY GOD! The ice cream portions were monstrous! I ordered a "small" sundae and the thing was as big as my nine year old's head!

Delicious too.

I understand the restaurant is always mobbed.

Any reviews?

Dana
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
pmj

Default shhhhhhhhh...it's a secret

and our favorite place. They use Richardson's ice cream...the best in New England!

The Lobster pie is awesome as well as scallops, steak tips and ribs.

But you can't spread that around or we will never get a seat!! Lines are long as it is!!

pmj
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #3
camp guy

Default Johnson's - Rt 11

My wife and I have eaten there many times including their opening weekend and we have always had great food. You are so right about the portion sizes !! Our only knock is that it is noisey inside - a lot of 'hub-bub', and we think this is due to the interior design: lots of flat surfaces and nothing to absorb sound. Also, the noise is due to people being friendly to each other and not being afraid to speak to someone coming in that they might know. Not really a 'bad' type of noise, but still, noisey.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Captain Zipper

Default Lobster Pie

Oh man, that sounds good. They don't have a dinner menu online yet, what's the lobster pie made up of? (other than lobster of course)
Old 07-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
pmj

The Lobster pie is all lobster...topped with a crabmeat stuffing. The stuffing is on the top, not mixed in as a filler like in other restaurants that i have experienced. There must be at least a pound of lobster meat! Ok, maybe not a POUND of meat but at least the meat of 1-1/4 pound lobster.
I usually ask for the butter on the side because sometimes they put a bit too much butter for me. YUMMY!

pmj
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
Captain Zipper

Default Pushing it?????????

Do you think I'd be wearing out my welcome if I showed up at my friend's house 2 weekends in a row?

I'm drooling just thinking of the lobster pie!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
pmj

Naaaaah...just get them one to take out.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #8
Pepper

Waldo and Pepper give Johnsons "Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!"

We had occassion to dine there a few months ago, and found our meals to be very well prepared, with rather generous portions. It was fun to see other folks we know there, and chat with them about how much they were enjoying their meals as well.

I don't think anyone has to worry about that property going vacant again any time soon - I think Johnson's will be wildly successful for many years to come!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:49 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Another favorite

Wife and I frequent Johnson's and are still amazed by the portions. Service is good and food is good (great onion nuggets, great chicken tenders, wife likes the haddock nuggets). They also have two other locations...Northwood NH and North Berwick ME. Both other locations have done very well.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #10
Island Life

Default Dessert

Don't leave without ordering the brownie sundae. It's delicious, but be prepared to gain a few pounds. One order could feed the whole table. Of course, we each get our own!!!!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #11
KBoater

Default bake haddock

I can only say that the bake haddock is the best ever. I keep thinking I'll try something else but end up ordering the haddock becasue it's so good. light and flacky.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:02 AM   #12
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Here's a sample of their LUNCH & TAKE-OUT MENU

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #13
pmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
Here's a sample of their LUNCH & TAKE-OUT MENU

Upon inquiry, I discovered that although the take out menu is limited, all items on the regular menu are available for take out.

pmj
Old 07-26-2007, 01:05 PM   #14
EllyPoinster

Default Johnson's Seafood Marketplace

Anybody been in the Johnson's Seafood market that opened up next door to the restaurant on Rte 11 in New Durham? There is a page reserved for it on their web site but it is "under construction".
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
ossipeeboater

met my parents at Johnsons last week for lunch, food was pretty good and they were doing a nice business.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #16
GWC...

Hope all those that enjoy Johnson' Dairy Bar remember to thank Jeb Bradley.

http://www.fedspending.org/faads/faa...ecord_num=f500
Old 07-26-2007, 05:15 PM   #17
GWC...

For those who do not use Rt 11 between Alton and the Coast, here's a map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...QKv_9XvDg&cd=1
Old 07-26-2007, 09:53 PM   #18
Irish mist

This place has become very popular, and for good reason

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #19
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Johnson's Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyPoinster
Anybody been in the Johnson's Seafood market that opened up next door to the restaurant on Rte 11 in New Durham? There is a page reserved for it on their web site but it is "under construction".
I stopped in yesterday. Nice place... cheese, breads and lots of packaged marinated meats. (Like the whining butcher in Gilford). Small deli counter, beer and wine..etc.

I didn't buy anything, so I can't report on the food.

I was hoping it would be a "fresh fish" market.. but it's not. The Lakes Region really needs a fish market.. seems we're stuck with the fish counters at the various supermarkets.. and most of what they have is "farm raised" or "previously frozen"
Old 08-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #20
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Lunch

Last edited by mcdude; 11-18-2007 at 12:36 PM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #21
Argie's Wife

I wanted to bump this thread up again...

Johnson's just opened up a little market that's right next door to it - part of the same establishment, of course.

But...

(And oh, be still my beating heart....)

They are carrying speciality beers the likes of which I've never seen anywhere else but in Tully's in Wells, Maine (if you've been there, you know what I mean.) They've got a great selection of English ales and stouts - and my personal favorite - Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout (yum...) They also carry Samuel Adams Double Bock (although they're out of it now....*sniff*)

They also have great cheeses, wines, breads, and lots of other fru-fru goodies... but my attention is on the beer. Good beer is proof that God wants us to be happy, right?

They're supposed to be expanding the beer and wine section. I'd like to see them get in a nice selection of locally made wines, too. (If you've never tried blueberry wine, you have to! It's like a sweet merlot - love it! Pear wine is also a favorite!)

Oh, and you can't forget the super nice guys who run the place! They let me in after closing one night when I was doing a beer run during a World Series game. Gotta love 'em for that! They rock!

Anyhow - check it out when you have a chance - it's a fun place!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #22
ghfromaltonbay

Default Don't forget the bakery section

I agree totally about the new store. Try the challah bread and the sticky buns -- they are out of this world. We warmed up chunks of the buns in the toaster oven for breakfast the next day and my mouth is still watering thinking about them. I don't know if the offer still stands, but when we ate at Johnson's the check was good for 10% discount at the store.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #23
DREAMS

Default Higher prices.. Smaller servings

We have visited several times over their history of approx 3 years. We have noticed a significant price increase with each new menu and the servings seem to be getting smaller. The personality and atmospher of the waitress and management seem to be driving more to a hustle feeling of get in and get out to make room for the next party. Possibly their success has made them forget the basics of a good restaurant dining experience? For the current prices, one can make a trip to enjoy the coastal atmosphere as well.
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #24
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default A Little Expensive, but very Good

We stopped in the New Durham location for an early dinner. The food was very good and the service was excellent. She (Margy) took the time to go over many of the menu items and make suggestions as to what we might like to try. She was great.

It was around 5PM, and they were just starting to fill up. I had the Seafood Platter (fried) and the clam chowder, (and a side order of angioplasty )
"She Who Must be Obeyed" had the baked salmon.

Portions were hugh! Lot's of take-home.

We had never been to this location, it's clean, well lighted and the tables are spaced so you don't feel crowded like lots of places around the lake.

We will definitely go back. We really enjoyed the meal.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #25
riverat

We live about a mile from Johnson's which is not a good thing because it seems we are always there. Sometimes it is easier to grab a delicious clam chowder and a loaf of their homemade breads than to fix supper. Anyways as SteveA said it is a great place and clean and courteous and ample servings. 5:00 PM is a good time to get there because after 5:30-6:00PM they fill up quick every night. The only complaint I have is: when they fill up it gets very noisy because of the layout, half walls seperating rooms. See you at Johnson's!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #26
pmj

I concur with the comment above. It is very dangerous to live close to Johnsons...especially in the summer. I am sure you can guess why..Richardsons ice cream, of course and in HUGE quantities.

They have a new menu this year and they offere more selection. They have even offered more selection in their wines..a welcome change.

I disagree with the poster that thinks the servings are smaller. I haven't experienced that at all and we have been known to eat there once a week...however, they now have big competition down the road in Rochester.

pmj
Old 03-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #27
ghfromaltonbay

Thumbs up Smaller portions???

I disagree as well. The dinner portions haven't shrunk as far as I've seen. We've actually taken to ordering the lunch size portions at dinner as this is more than enough. The waitresses we've had recently were super friendly - we didn't feel we were being rushed even on a busy holiday weekend. On our last visit, the waitress was nice enough to split a kiddie cup of ice cream between 2 of us on separate checks. We each got a nice size scoop and had $1.38 each on our bill. I'd say that is keeping the customers happy.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #28
eyenotall777

Default Generous

Johnson's is a great asset to the area w/o hurting the character. They are very snowmobile friendly in the winter and their food is very good. There is only one thing I wish as well as several other people I know would suggest they change....their Coleslaw. While dining on more than a few occasions there, the one thing I notice people do not touch on their plate is the coleslaw (what better side to go w/ Fried Seafood & ribs) and I don't think it is not because people dis-like cole slaw in general. But the coleslaw they offer is not very kind to the palate. A few of the waitress's expressed they have told the Owners, but they continue to serve the same one. I know they purchase it bulk (they do not make it there), but is is a shame how much of it gets thrown away because of the taste. They need a better quality slaw......like the one a Waldo Peppers

Last edited by eyenotall777; 03-23-2008 at 09:48 AM.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #29
pmj

We actually like Johnson's coleslaw. My only gripe is that the vegies offered can be boring. I wish they offered salad as an option for the vegie as well . Carrots and corn get old fast. I prefer an option of broccoli, which we don't see too much at Johnsons.
Johnsons has the BEST sirloin tips!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #30
Argie's Wife

Johnson's just lost major points with me...

Called ahead to have our names put on the wait list so we weren't standing in line with two young kids and got a rather hostile "No. We don't do THAT."

(It's Hubby's b-day - thought we'd have a nice meal out....)

Soooo, lemme get this straight...

I can phone in an order for food and pick it up but I can't leave my name so we're not waiting 30 min., w/ small children?

(And I KNOW they used to do it at the Northwood location.... )

Whatever...
Old 05-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #31
Lakepilot

We love Johnsons. We live a perfect distance away - about 20 minutes. Not so close we're there all the time and not so far we never get there. I like the coleslaw and usually love the sirloin tips, although last time they weren't quite as good. We usually time our visits so we don't have to wait.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #32
Skip

Default Johnson's coleslaw

My wife and I ate there last Saturday night, and even at 7:30 had to wait 20 minutes for a table. But the wait was well worth it as the food & portions were excellent.

The place brings fond back memories, as my family made the trek to New Durham from Dover many years ago to dine at the then "Dot's Lunch". Back in the "good ol' days" us kids got a special treat by getting to ride all the way in the back of the pick-up, weather providing. My gosh, think of the outrage today if someone saw Mom & Dad tooling up Route 11 in the ol' family pick-up with a gaggle of kids enjoying themselves out in the bed!

Anyway, I am a huge cole slaw fan...but the slaw at Johnson's was a tad to tart for my palate.

That one item aside, it is well worth the trip, in my humble opinion.....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #33
riverat

Yes the cole slaw is fine with me, I like horseraddish.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:35 PM   #34
DREAMS

Default Higher prices less quality

We have been eating at Johnson's since they opened. We were initially amazed at the prices and quality of food and good size servings. As time has passed, we keep noticing a new menu with higher prices and the same basic food quality not supporting the higher prices for the area. As folks have mentioned the ice cream portions are large, but a small size should be large for $5.00 ! They would be much better off to provide a smaller portion for a reasonable reduced price. If one orders small, they only wanted a small portion !

I noticed the lady manager seems to be getting tired and cranky as time goes on. I think she is very tough on the girls who are waitressing. The stressed atmosphere is very obvious as a diner. I think they will price them selves over the market as time and econmy dictate affordability.
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #35
ghfromaltonbay

Thumbs up Try the Kiddie Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAMS View Post
As folks have mentioned the ice cream portions are large, but a small size should be large for $5.00 ! They would be much better off to provide a smaller portion for a reasonable reduced price. If one orders small, they only wanted a small portion !
When we go to Johnson's we order the "Kiddie Cup" of ice cream. It's 2 generous scoops and when a group of friends were there recently the price was $2.76 including the tax. They even let 2 of us share one order - 2 bowls arrived with 1 large scoop in each, and $1.38 was charged on our separate bills. The waitress was very accomodating.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #36
wMw

I love the Haddock nuggets. I usually get them to go and head back to the lake, usually park by the water in Alton Bay then munch on them.

mmmm, mmmm

Sing...Dance...Love...Live deliberately!!!
wMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #37
finch

I had a lobster pie special there just a few weeks ago and it had tons of lobster in it. It was so much I ended up eating left overs for lunch the next day. My hubby absolutely hates small servings and he is always pleased with the prime rib and seafood platter sizes. We leave very full and the servers are pleasant and efficient. I would agree with the the loudness of the place when it is crowded and also the cole slaw(I like it sweeter).
finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #38
SusanBKellom

Default Another Large Portion Alert

We ate there yesterday and had the wonderful fried whole belly clam platter. It is more than enough for two and the clams melt in your mouth. Ne excess grease or breading.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 AM   #39
twoplustwo

Default underwhelmed

My husband, my youngest and I stopped in on our way home from Exeter yesterday evening, based on the rave reviews from you folks. My husband liked his fish and chips, and I agree the portions are rather large. I wasn't too impressed with my food, however. I had a lobster roll, and fully admit to having tried a lobster roll at most every place I visit. Maybe I'm just picky, but I need the yin and yan of warm and cold in my lobster roll. While my roll was perfectly toasted, it was pretty fat as hot dog rolls go, too much roll for me. The kicker was my perfectly toasted and still warm roll was filled with lukewarm lobster. Lukewarm lobster makes my stomach turn, but I kept telling myself it was a new batch and hadn't had a chance to chill yet. I had a side of fried mushrooms which was an enormous portion, but needs something better than bland ranch dressing for dipping. If they threw some of the horseradish you folks are talking about into the ranch dressing, it would've been a much better accompaniment. Fried shrooms are all about the dipping sauce.

The wait for inside tables was more than we were willing to handle since we had to make our way home to Moultonborough, but it was a lovely, cool evening so we opted to eat outside at the picnic tables. It was very hard to find a table that didn't need a good cleaning, and the flies were digging the ice cream messes on the tables. It wasn't a horrible experience, but I'm not in a rush to return, honestly.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #40
Stormking

Default Johnson's new website

I’m very excited to introduce our new website, please visit us at www.eatatjohnsons.com

Thank's Jason
Stormking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #41
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormking View Post
I’m very excited to introduce our new website, please visit us at www.eatatjohnsons.com

Thank's Jason
Well done job. Easy to read and get to the location one might want to read the most. It is well put together just like the food that is served at Johnson's.

Last edited by RLW; 04-03-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: spelling correction
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #42
mg2107

I think their fried clams leave much to be desired.My last trip, very strong taste and soggy.Have experienced this as well on past visits.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #43
eyenotall777

Default Coleslaw update

Went to dinner last night and I opted for coleslaw as my side even though in the past I never touched it because I disliked their slaw. Guess What...They changed it and it is very good, comparable to Waldo Peppers/KFC slaw..glad they made the change. Also, broccoli was offered as a side vs the usual corn/carrots, just thought I would add that in as someone has stated in a previous post that they wish they would
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #44
ghfromaltonbay

Default Johnson's veggies

The last 2 times I was at Johnson's (both times in Sept.) the veggie of the day was broccoli. They did an excellent job with it, done enough, but still a bit crunchy. The cole slaw was also good as was the herb bread we were served.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #45
barefootbay

They have definitely changed the cole slaw and the fried clams are also much improved.
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #46
searay220

Do they still offer cottage cheese as a side dish? What kind of side is that? I find that a little wierd.
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #47
Pineedles

I like cottage cheese, and have ordered it as a side when faced with a choice of beans vs, fries vs chips, vs. corn on the cob (frozen, half a cob).
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #48
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay220 View Post
Do they still offer cottage cheese as a side dish? What kind of side is that? I find that a little wierd.
If you're diabetic or doing the Atkins (or other low-carb diet thing) - that's an excellent side dish!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #49
ghfromaltonbay

Default Cottage cheese side dish

Cottage cheese as a side definitely has to be a NH thing. Sandy Point & Johnson's are the only places I've been where they offer it as a side. I've never seen it on any menus here in northern NJ or in NYC. Can't say I'd ever order it myself, although I love it with raw veggies on a salad plate. I did try eating it for breakfast with fruit and some non-calorie sweetener when I was on a low carb diet. It seemed to work as I dropped 33 pounds in 4 months.

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 10-12-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #50
Jonas Pilot

Cider Press does it too.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #51
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
Cottage cheese as a side definitely has to be a NH thing. Sandy Point & Johnson's are the only places I've been where they offer it as a side. I've never seen it on any menus here in northern NJ or in NYC. Can't say I'd ever order it myself, although I love it with raw veggies on a salad plate. I did try eating it for breakfast with fruit and some non-calorie sweetener when I was on a low carb diet. It seemed to work as I dropped 33 poulnds in 4 months.
Congratulations on the weight loss!!! Your diet must have been a great one.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #52
ghfromaltonbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
Congratulations on the weight loss!!! Your diet must have been a great one.
Actually, I read the Atkins book and thought the diet was too extreme. I used it as a guideline but didn't follow it so strictly. I lost the weight between January & May, but unfortunately, I've put it back on after 8 years. Carbs are my downfall!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #53
jkjoshuatree

Default Proper Nutrition & Exercise Is All You Need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
Actually, I read the Atkins book and thought the diet was too extreme. I used it as a guideline but didn't follow it so strictly. I lost the weight between January & May, but unfortunately, I've put it back on after 8 years. Carbs are my downfall!

The Atkins diet is extremely bad for you. All that protein without the proper whole grains is horrible. Granted, you will lose weight, like you did, but you'll also gain it back as soon as you stop Atkins.

Unfortunately, there is NO diet pill or "magic" diet. Eating right, exercising, drinking plenty of water, and getting adequate rest are all you need to do to lose weight, and more importantly, maintain it for the rest of your life.

Is it simple? Yup. Easy? Nope.

I'm in the health & fitness industry and I love helping people achieve their fitness goals so I hope I'm not crossing any lines here by adding my two cents.

ghfromaltonbay (10-13-2011), VitaBene (10-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #54
Argie's Wife

Slight derail here...

I found Atkins was kin to a low-inflammation diet that I've found helpful with having Lymes. The weight loss that came with the low carbs/high protein diet was a nice side effect, but whether you cut carbs or protein, either one cut from your diet in any significance will result in weight loss. Ditto for when I was power lifting - I found a high protein diet was just more efficient for me, personally, but I wasn't as strict about my carbs intake as I am when I'm having a flare up of Lymes. The spikes in blood sugar from the carbs are painful, at best.

Slightly back on the rail here...

I appreciate it when restaurants don't assume that everyone like battered fried fish, french fries, or wants an ice cream with every meal. Having choices like grilled entrees, cottage cheese for a side, or a simple salad is nice - ESPECIALLY - at a family-friendly restaurant. Just because I have kids it doesn't mean I can eat like a kid (or want to)...
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (10-15-2011)
Old 06-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #55
codeman671

Default Update on Johnson's

We went last night for takeout on the way home. The ice cream windows were busy but the food side did was not. That being said, we waited a half hour for 2 burgers, a hot dog and a fisherman's platter. The burgers were good, the seafood was average. We probably could have sat down inside and been served just as fast. The wait was the most aggravating part.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote