Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2004, 09:00 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default PhotoPost Calendars

Is anything is happening with publishing a Winnipesaukee calendar?
If one is done soon, it could be an 18 month calendar to be sold and used this summer.
Just a thought on the original Just a Thought thread.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:00 PM   #2
RI Swamp Yankee

A calendar would be a great idea but how do you chose only 12 or 18 out of all the great pics?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:23 PM   #3
GWC...

Wink Selecting Calendar images...

The same way an opinion is expressed on a topic.

Someone, I believe Island Girl was involved with the Calendar last Fall – been too long for my weak memory, starts a thread and requests post for 3 choices of images from the Photopost section (right click on the image or picture and select properties and copy the URL to post as your selection - do this 3 times).

The selections are put in order by popularity and the top 12 or 18 (How many months will the calendar cover?) are the winning selections.

Why do only one per year? Why not offer several calendars - have different categories. Perhaps one for Seasons, one for Weather, one for Sunrises/Sunsets, one for PWCs (did I really type PWC), one for Sailboats, one for Ocean Boats (pushing my luck, again), one for Dinghies and such, one for Wildlife, one for... I think you get the drift. Make a category suggestion at the same time as posting your most preferred three images.

Or you could simply utilize the efforts of Webmaster and use his Photopost categories:

Scenic Views
Homes
Things That Float
Pets and Wildlife
Mishaps
Postcards
Weather
Miscellaneous
Community Photo Albums
and also Members Galleries

Who should act as chief cook and bottle washer?

Would the Webmaster enjoy expanding his hobby for a mere stipend – an added fee to the final cost of the calendar, a cost to include a little extra to offset the expense of maintenance of this website and forum. Would it be a nice thought to have a webcam in Meredith and Wolfeboro, as part of this website, to provide additional views of the Lake’s conditions and activities? Thoughts cost to implement.

Just a few thoughts…

Yours may differ; but it’s about time the ball starts rolling…

P.S.- As an after thought, the first list that needs to be made via a "sign-up" post, is a list of Photopost members who are willing to allow their pictures to be used for the calendar(s). There was some mention about copyright in the Fall when this topic first aired.

Then members may post three choices of preference from the approved list.

Someone also posted the ability to produce the calendars, once the photos were selected. Perhaps a "desire to purchase" "sign-up" list will accommodate any "reguired minimum number of orders" before publishing situation.

I also noticed that RG has 60 plus posts, including some Photoposts - a sign of familiarity with both this site and working with photos. A good combo for the Calendar project leader.

Last edited by GWC...; 04-14-2004 at 12:21 PM. Reason: after thought, or two...
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:19 PM   #4
webmaster

Thanked 3,723 Times in 823 Posts

Thanks for volunteering me GWC!

When the calendar idea came up last fall you'll notice I stayed out of it. I just don't have the time! I run this site by myself and it already takes more time than I have. I have a to-do list about a mile long that I hope to finish sometime before I'm an old man.

I do think it's a great idea and if someone else would like to do it I would certainly cooperate and help in any way I can. Once available they could be sold here as well as at other Lakes Region locations. Bizer Map sales have been a big success on this site and I know that other appropriate products would sell well also.

Last edited by webmaster; 04-13-2004 at 03:20 PM. Reason: fixed typo
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:31 PM   #5
Grant

Default So Many Options

There was a time when making quality photo calendars involved sending your photos and/or negatives to a third party who would do the scanning and layout, etc. But today you can create high-quality personalized photo calendars through a number of online services. I know that Ofoto offers such a service.

The toughest part would be selecting those photos to include! You could make a few years' worth of calendars out of IslandGirl's album alone!
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2004, 09:56 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
I also noticed that RG has 60 plus posts, including some Photoposts - a sign of familiarity with both this site and working with photos. A good combo for the Calendar project leader.
Delayed reaction here! (Guess I missed your edit.) LOL. I certainly would be part of a team for a project like this. I'll do some checking around this week.
Excellent points were made by GWC. Good starting place. I think it is a great idea to have the proceeds go to more cams. Don has given us a green light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster
I do think it's a great idea and if someone else would like to do it I would certainly cooperate and help in any way I can. Once available they could be sold here as well as at other Lakes Region locations. Bizer Map sales have been a big success on this site and I know that other appropriate products would sell well also.

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 04-18-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
GWC...

Wink Right in the middle of life is a big old if...

Grant made an interesting comment about IG's Photoposts.

I think an educational starting point would be a conversation with IG - you both spend time on the same Island and with ice-out on the doorstep, it should not be long before you both are enjoying the Lake for another season. An afternoon sit-down on the dock, yours or hers, should prove very enlightening.

The ducks are close to being in a row - someone to publish, someplace to sell, and customers waiting with baited breath. All that is needed is photos. It would be of great assistance if the Photoposts could be used for the calendar project.

Therein lies the challenge - getting permission and whatever that may entail.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote