Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
jetskier

Question Trailer Hitch Question

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. My trailer hitch is starting to rust; a problem that I suspect lots of folks have. In the past, I have thrown some rust-o-leum on it, but that only seems to work for 6 months. So....

What paint/treatment is recommended to treat a rusting trailer hitch?
Are there any shops that will do this work?

Thanx in advance!

Last edited by jetskier; 05-31-2005 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typo
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:04 AM   #2
ApS

Because of the expense, I don't recommend chrome plating it -- though mine has lasted through two trucks.

The hitch ball takes the biggest beating and always rusts. One is made in stainless steel, which always looks good.

If you're talking about the hitch itself -- and it's black in color -- try a black spray-undercoating. It's thick enough to last much longer than Rust-Oleum.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Tired of Waiting

Default A word of CAUTION

I don’t know how old the hitch is but just a word of caution.

On my last truck I had a hitch that was rusting. I had just purchased a new truck and wanted to get the insert out to use on the new truck. It didn’t want to come out so I went to the ol persuader. About the 5 pound model. I figured with a hit or two it would loosen up and I could pull it out. Well on the first hit the ENTIRE left side of the hitch broke off the truck frame. This was in March and I had pulled the boat home last September. Shudders went down my spine thinking of what could have happened just a few short months ago.

So before you paint, coat, chrome, etc the hitch make sure it’s structural integrity is good. I would hate to hear about you loosing the boat/trailer some day.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
Island-Ho

I was told by a distributer of a popular hitch that the black paint they come with is just a primer. They should always be given a coat or two of enamel (black) before being installed on the vehicle. I did this to the last hitch I installed, and it is still black - no rust. I know this doesn't help you now, but remember this for the next hitch you install. There is a product that is painted on that will chemically combine with the rust and prevent further rusting. I don't recall the name at this time, but just Google "rust treatment". Try some sanding, apply this product, and then paint the whole hitch. That may last for a few years.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
Misty Blue

Default Rust problems

Hey Jet skier:

Try Gempler's rust converter. "chemically converts rust to an inert, black, protective barrier tht you can then paint over."

Find it at www.gemplers.com or 1-800-382-8473.

I think that it will do the trick. It worked for me. Ten bucks a quart.
Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
kchace

By far the most durable "paint" you can get is POR-15. I believe it is polyurethane based. Its not at all cheap, but its really worth it for certain projects. You can get it on line from them.

here: http://www.por15.com/

It is also sold like Amsoil is, by local 'distributors'.

The car restorers use this. I have it and have used it a number of times. I'll tell you, there is no other paint that even comes close to how tough this stuff is.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote