Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Morse Farm Preserve / Alton Mountain OPEN HOUSE

Celebration Oct. 15 at Morse Farm Preserve on Alton Mountain
ALTON — Join the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests on Saturday, Oct. 15, from noon to 4 p.m. at the Evelyn H. and Albert D. Morse, Sr. Preserve in Alton.

This spectacular 431-acre preserve was donated to the Forest Society in 2008. Now Forest Society staff, volunteers and guests will celebrate recent improvements to the property, including recreational trails, a kiosk and former farm fields now managed for wildlife and scenic views.

This four-hour celebration will begin at noon with an easy interpretive hike from Avery Hill Road along a 1.7-mile marked loop trail through fields and forests to
the top of Pine Mountain (usually known as Alton Mt). Open blueberry barrens at
the summit provide spectacular views of the entire Belknap Range, including Mount
Major and Lake Winnipesaukee. Participants will learn about heathland habitats and see open fields being actively restored using a “brontosaurus” to cut brush and trees to maintain views and provide specialized wildlife habitat.

click for TRAIL MAP

Pre-registration for this event is requested. For more information or to register, email signup@forestsociety.org or call Tina at 224-9945 ext. 313. Founded in 1901, the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests is the state’s oldest and largest non-profit land conservation organization. Supported by 10,000 families and businesses, the Forest Society’s mission is to perpetuate the state’s forests by promoting land conservation and sustainable forestry. For more
information, visit www.forestsociety.org.
OPEN BLUEBERRY barrens at the summit of Morse Mountain provide spectacular views of the Belknap Range

View NE from Pine Mountain - Photo by dcr
Looking NE over the northerly portion of Alton Bay to mountains of northern NH. L to R, the 4 islands seen are Parker, Ship, Little Mark and Moose.

photo by dcr "Photo taken recently from blueberry pasture atop Pine Mt. In the right foreground you can see Trask Swamp in Alton. In the midground are seen Roberts Cove, Wolfeboro Bay, Lake Wentworth, Derby Mt, Barndoor Island, Clay Point, Clark Point, etc. In the background, below the horizon are Thompson Hill, Batson Hill, Trask Hill and Whiteface Mt. Mountains on the horizon are identified at the top. The photo was taken on a cloudy day, but 1 area where sunlight shone through was between Clark Point and Rust Pond, where the area is lit up to a much greater degree than anywhere else around it."

"Pine Mt is just a few miles from the tip of Alton Bay, just off the Alton Mt Rd - it has Alton's 2nd best view of Winnipesaukee and of most mountains within a 180 degree radius. Near the top is an old blueberry pasture which assures the excellent views - a couple of trails, each about a mile long provide access to the view site. The property was recently bought by the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests, who now provide access to this 400+ acre property, which for a long, long time has not been available for public use. Mt Major's view is probably a little better than Pine Mts, but Pine Mt can show you scenes that Major can not, like a view of all of the mountains of the southern half of the Belknaps, and many mountains to the west that are not visible from Major."

Click for THE HISTORY OF ALTON MOUNTAIN

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Broadsider (02-17-2012), CateP (10-07-2011), GsChinadoll (10-07-2011), Jonas Pilot (10-27-2011), Just Sold (10-07-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

The hike up Pine Mt. offers one of the highest reward to effort ratios in the state. This is an easy hike or snowshoe with great 200 degree views.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
mcdude

From the Baysider

Quote:

ATTENDEES at a recent event to celebrate the conservation of the 431-
acre Evelyn H. and Albert D. Morse, Sr. Preserve in Alton identify the
peaks of the Belknap Range in the distance using the recently-installed legend.

Residents visit improved Morse Preserve
ALTON — More than 45 participants learned about heathland and other wildlife
habitats at a special celebratory hike of the 431-acre Evelyn H. and Albert D. Morse, Sr. Preserve in Alton. This land was donated to the Forest Society by Mary Jane Morse in 2008. Forest Society staff, volunteers and guests gathered to celebrate recent improvements to this spectacular property, including recreational trails, a kiosk and former farm fields now managed for wildlife and scenic views.
The four-hour celebration began at noon with an interpretive hike from Avery Hill
Road along a 1.7-mile marked loop trail through fields and forests to the top of Pine Mountain. Open blueberry barrens at the summit provided spectacular views of
the entire Belknap Range, including Mount Major and Lake Winnipesaukee.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
CateP

Wish I had been there. Love taking hikes with people who can teach me something.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
RLW

Thumbs up Family members attended

My wife and other family members attended the outing and enjoyed and learned a lot on the hike. When they go again, which they go at least once a month they will know what they are looking at off it the distance.
The people that attended could not say enough of how nice it was that the land was left to the preserve so all can really enjoy the land and walking paths.
I myself being handicapped wish there were ways for people like myself to be able to enjoy the views and country side. They only have walking paths and no accessibility for vehicles like my Rhino to go on. I know and understand perfectly, if they open it to those type of vehicles than others that do not care will create a problem.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
mcdude

Talking

HIKERS CHECK OUT VIEW from MORSE PRESERVE
from the Baysider
ALTON — Forty-two people gathered together on Saturday at the Mike Burke
parking lot in Alton to hike Pine Mountain, more recently known as the Morse Preserve. The hike was planned to be a snowshoe hike. The leaders picked February this year thinking that there surely would be a thick cover of snow on the ground by then. The thin cover of snow, which had previously melted and then crusted over with ice, made wearing some type of crampon the best footwear.
The group, many previously strangers to each other, set out together for the 1.7-
mile trek. Stopping often along the trail to talk about various animals, trees, insects
and area history, Ken Marvin led the group to the top where they got out their
packed lunches and enjoyed the somewhat clouded view of the Belknap and Ossipee Ranges. The group ranged in age from one year to 76 years of age.
“I was reminded again, New Hampshire is a great place to live or visit,” said organizer Suzanne Marvin. “People who don’t know each other, gather together in a group of all ages and hike a trail. Because of the generosity of people like Mary
Jane Morse Greenwood, there are many trails in NH open to public hiking.” One source for finding some of these trails is the Society for the Protection of NH Forests Web site http://www.forestsociety.org /Default.asp. One of the stops along the hike included a “tick-talk”by Myriam Moser, PT, DPT, CSCS. She has experience and a published paper on Physical Therapy for Lyme’s Disease.
“I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the hikers from Saturday try that hike again in
July to see if there are any blueberries on those bushes,” Marvin said

tic talk.....ha ha

The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
RLW (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Slickcraft

Default Alton Mountain

Nice hike Saturday. I forgot to ask if there is a story as to how Alton Mountain came to be known as Pine Mountain.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
barefootbay

There is a geographical difference as they are two separate mountains.
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbay View Post
There is a geographical difference as they are two separate mountains.
I was told by DCR that the original Alton Mountain, as in Alton Mountain Road, is now called Pine Mountain. If he is wrong and you are correct, I would appreciate learning the location of Alton Mountain.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
barefootbay

News to me !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
Dog's Ear

Smile

Evelyn and Albert Morse were my Grandparents. I have been going up to the mountain all my life. My Dad moved us all to CT when he went to work at Pratt & Whitney, but the summer times were filled with trips up to the "Blueberry Mountain" which is what we always called it growing up. Be sure to go up there in July/August when the short bush blueberries should be in abundance. I love that hill and am very happy that it will be preserved forever and everyone can now enjoy it too.
Dog's Ear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dog's Ear For This Useful Post:
DRH (02-18-2012), RLW (02-18-2012), Slickcraft (02-17-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
mcdude

I always thought they were one in the same. Technically it has been called Pine Mountain as identified on these topo maps from 1919, 1927 and 1957 (click on northeast corner) but simply referred to as "Alton Mountain" (or Blueberry Mountain) by the locals...kinda....maybe....?

If you click on the trail map in post #1 you'll actually notice that there are two peaks labelled Pine Mt. One is down closer to Rand Hill Rd.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
DRH

My National Geographic topographical map program (TOPO!), which is based on the USGS maps, also shows the two Pine Mountains McDude is referring to:

Old 02-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Interesting road name

Looking at the map, where Alton Mt Rd starts, they are showing the road heading west to rte 11 as Loon Cove Rd.

It is Rand Hill Rd and has been for many years, and before that was called Old Laconia Rd.

Back to the Alton Mt thread, as I digress.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #15
mcdude

Come and explore the outdoors on a trail that is sure to please everyone. The Society for the Protection of NH Forest’s Morse Preserve in Alton Bay is one of the finest views for the amount of effort expended. Strap on your snowshoes and enjoy the great view of the Belknap Range and Lake Winnipesaukee. The Morse Preserve’s 1.7-mile Loop Trail includes gradual inclines through fields and forests opening up to a beautiful view of Lake Winnipesaukee and the Belknap Range. Parking is available at the Mike Burke Parking Lot an eighth of a mile north of the trailhead on Avery Hill Road in Alton Bay. The group will meet at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 21, in the Mike Burke Parking Lot. Dress in warm layers, bring water and your lunch. Snowshoes recommended depending on amount of snowcover. Hike will be led by Forest Society Landstewards Kenneth and Suzanne Marvin. Register by e-mailing Ksmarvin@gmail.com. Dogs are not allowed on this hike.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Dog's Ear (01-22-2015), Slickcraft (01-22-2015)