Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
JasonG

Default So where would you head on Winni?

For years we have pretty much launched and done the same thing out of Meredith. Head down to weirs, maybe wolfeboro, putt around govenors island, paugus bay, etc

What am I missing up in center harbor, multonboro, alton? We just never really made it over there. Typically because it is easier to launch from the west side of the lake.

Keep in mind I have a few young teenagers and they like to get out, grab food ( who doesnt? ), etc. Anything like that in those areas? They love hitting weirs beach for the games, pizza, etc.

Thanks!
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Lots or "nots".

Center Harbor has a little shops right near the docks, including Red Hill dairy, the ice cream place in a group of shops (can't remember the name), I think the Bagel place is still there, just to name a few. You get to go by Becky's Garden, a little rock island with a house on it. Always neat to see.
Moultonboro and Melvin Village not filled with boat accessible shops, but a wonderful ride, where you can get to the most Northern part of the lake, Lee's Mills, and Green's Basin.. Nice place for a slow cruise. Moultonboro Bay, Melvin Bay, can be good places to tube or just hang out. Go to the 19 mile store in 19 mile bay.
Seems like you have been in Wolfeboro.
Alton Bay: Pops Clam Shell, Shibley's at the Pier, Shibley's ice cream, JP China, Dockside restaurant (short walk from town docks), ice cream place in the Pavillion Condo's in the bay parking lot, Jay's mini-golf, and Fireworks on July 3rd and Old Home weekend Saturday night. The big booms echo and re-echo off the hills surrounding the end of the bay (our cat disappears for two days after the fireworks and we live a mile from the fireworks ),

Other than than, not much to see on the northern or eastern end of the lake.

We love getting out to the "other end of the lake" and then as the day is winding down, taking the nice leisurely cruise back home to Alton Bay.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your time on the lake, where ever it may be.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

What are you missing? I dunno, HALF the lake!

But seriously, the northern side is much quieter--nice watersport, fishing, and anchoring areas--but fewer "attractions."

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Also in Alton Bay a paddle board shop that does rentals, next to the Alton Bay PO. Of course after that work out a short walk to Pop's Clam Shell.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
dpg

I'm no boating expert but believe the Moultonborough "side" of the lake is also much more rocky, you need to be aware of your surroundings. I just hear that a lot, we're from Mboro and I've never boated "down" the other end.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Barney Bear

Default "The Other Half"

The character of this beautiful lake is quite different as one cruises areas east and north of Long Island. Pass through the the "Hole in the wall", then head north around the east side of Chase Island past Melvin Village and on into Green Basin. Follow the chart closely as navigating some areas can be most interesting!!!
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
Dave M

Default Big rock in Green's Basin

Pulled from another thread posted by me.

Years ago had my grandson's Cub Scout troop up our place camping out, had 6 or 7 kids. One day we took two boats up to Green's Basin and spent most of the day on the rock. Just found deepest water around the rock, drove up, other adults held boat while we unloaded coolers from the bow, luckily it was calm and anchored boat. Had floats and kids spent time going between boats and rock. Kids and adults had a blast. Rock was spit spot when we left. Just be aware of where your jumping.

You do have to pay attention to the markers. Just take your time getting there.
Nice area up there.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

It is very rocky when you head up to Green's Basin. Make sure you have your chart handy or carefully follow your GPS.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
Orion

Wink I would turn back......

......if I were you!"

All the novice boaters should stay south of Cow Island and not venture into Moultonborough Bay. Many boats venture north, but few return. There's The Graveyard, Bizer Rock, Black Island; Pistol Island Shoal; the 28' rock in 30' of water; the Chase Point wreck; and all manner of other navigation hazards.

It should be left to the experienced (surviving) residents of that area.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
Lake Fan (03-20-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #10
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Center Harbor has a little shops right near the docks, ... I think the Bagel place is still there ...
The Bay Gull Deli (good bagel sandwiches) moved 3/4 mile and is not really within walking distance.

Bizer has a list of boat-accessible eating places and grocery stores on its web page.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
JasonG (03-20-2016), Pontoon Goon (03-24-2016), upthesaukee (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
The Bay Gull Deli (good bagel sandwiches) moved 3/4 mile and is not really within walking distance.

Bizer has a list of boat-accessible eating places and grocery stores on its web page.
Bizer, we were over there at lunch time last year, and ate on the boat (picnic lunch), went to the yarn shop, and then got ice cream for dessert. In the past we have done the Bagels for breakfast or early lunch. Forgot they moved. 3/4 of mile walk, not too bad. 3/4 mile along that highway, you're right, maybe not within easy walking distance.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #12
ghfromaltonbay

Default Bay Gull move

Quote:

I noticed while driving thru the area in February that Bay Gull is now located where Kevin's Café used to be.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #13
JasonG

Thanks for the answers!
My awesome wifey and I could spend hours just touring around on the lake. It is the kids that get a bit restless. They want to go somewhere, tube, hit a sandbar, etc.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #14
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Why not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
Thanks for the answers!
My awesome wifey and I could spend hours just touring around on the lake. It is the kids that get a bit restless. They want to go somewhere, tube, hit a sandbar, etc.
Drop the kiddos off at the Alton sandbar with floats and toys on your way to Alton Bay?!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #15
hd333

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
For years we have pretty much launched and done the same thing out of Meredith. Head down to weirs, maybe wolfeboro, putt around govenors island, paugus bay, etc

What am I missing up in center harbor, multonboro, alton? We just never really made it over there. Typically because it is easier to launch from the west side of the lake.

Keep in mind I have a few young teenagers and they like to get out, grab food ( who doesnt? ), etc. Anything like that in those areas? They love hitting weirs beach for the games, pizza, etc.

Thanks!

Center Harbor.

Lavinia's is a good take for an early dinner in Center Harbor, I suggest eating in the bar. Take the kids to see the secret bar and tiny dinning room on the top. Then Dewey's for Ice Cream after. Directly across from the town docks. Both places have Adirondack chairs to lounge in.

Red Hill Dairy does have good fried clams and onion rings as well as soft-serve ice cream. You would be eating either on picnic tables or back on your boat.

Bay Gulls is a long walk from the docks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:32 AM   #16
DBreskin

Quote:
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote