Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
kbh

Default Kayaking at night

I have tried searching and have been unable to find the requirements for a kayak at night. Is this the same as for a power boat?

Certainly want a 360 degree white light but wasn't sure if the red/green nav lights were required or even a good idea. Since a kayak has limited maneuverability not sure I would want to be mistaken for a boat that could quickly change course.

I currently use a YakAttack VisiCarbon Pro flag/light combo but don't have red/green nav lights on the bow...

Any ideas?
kbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
SAB1

I believe you need a single white................and make sure your will is up to date............
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
kbh (05-09-2016), Smith Point (05-10-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
kbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I believe you need a single white................and make sure your will is up to date............

...hopefully I wont need to make use of a will. I will not be on a busy part of the lake and will be out on weekday evenings...

Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
SAB1

I'm sure you will be fine this time of year. Stay close to shore though. Probably a nice way to pick up a couple bass at night. Drag a jitterbug behind you a couple nights after the spawn.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

From https://www.boat-ed.com/abc/abc_spec...dfs/nh_law.pdf
Go to the link for illustration 2 and 3.
I am a kayak-er and think that kayaking at night on Winni presents a real risk.

Quote:
Unpowered Vessels When Underway
Unpowered vessels are sailing vessels or vessels that are paddled, poled, or rowed.
If less than 65.6 feet long, these vessels must exhibit the lights as shown in illus-

tration 2. The required lights are:
Red and green sidelights visible from a distance of at least two miles

away—or if less than 39.4 feet long, at least one mile away—on a dark, clear
night.
A sternlight visible from a distance of at least two miles away.

If less than 23.0 feet (7 meters) long, these vessels should:

If practical, exhibit the same lights as required for unpowered vessels less than

65.6 feet in length.
If not practical, have on hand at least one lantern or flashlight shining a

white light as shown in illustration 3.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
kbh (05-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
kbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
From https://www.boat-ed.com/abc/abc_spec...dfs/nh_law.pdf
Go to the link for illustration 2 and 3.
I am a kayak-er and think that kayaking at night on Winni presents a real risk.
Thanks for the link!
Old 05-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
laketrout

Very dangerous to Kayak at night regardless of the Navigation lights. But its a free world and just my opinion. I know the night time speed limit is 30 mph and that's fast during the daytime.. If I am out at night I go about 4-5 mph for fear I might come up on a kayak or rowboat etc.. with no lights..

Last edited by laketrout; 05-09-2016 at 03:24 PM.
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
Very dangerous to Kayak at night regardless of the Navigation lights. But its a free world and just my opinion. I know the night time speed limit is 25 mph but If I am out at night I go about 4-5 mph for fear I might come up on a kayak or rowboat etc.. with no lights..
I agree it may not be a good idea...

The speed limit at night is 30 mph.
https://www.boat-ed.com/assets/pdf/h...ook_entire.pdf
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Everybody is jumping on the band wagon of this not being a good idea... Is the original poster going out the in the pitch black? I hope not.... and I don't think so.

But if she/he is out in the early evening as the sun is going down having an all around light is a good thing to have on board.... sometimes you don't get back as quick as you think you should.

Remember lights must be on by law 1/2 hour before sunset, through to 1/2 hour after sunrise.... It is perfectly light enough at that time for a kayak or canoe to be out on the water.... and to be legal the should have an all around white light.
The red and green lights are optional, but wouldn't be a bad idea....

I applaud kbh for asking this question.....

People need to stop criticizing other peoples choices, before they have really digested what is being discussed. It could be argued that it isn't really safe to navigate on the lake during the day, with out a chart plotter, but most of us don't have one of those do we?

This lake is for everyone to enjoy, through the full length of the day.... the next thing I know I am going to be told that swimming beside my dock at night is dangerous because of all the boating action...
kbh (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
kbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Everybody is jumping on the band wagon of this not being a good idea... Is the original poster going out the in the pitch black? I hope not.... and I don't think so.

But if she/he is out in the early evening as the sun is going down having an all around light is a good thing to have on board.... sometimes you don't get back as quick as you think you should.

Remember lights must be on by law 1/2 hour before sunset, through to 1/2 hour after sunrise.... It is perfectly light enough at that time for a kayak or canoe to be out on the water.... and to be legal the should have an all around white light.
The red and green lights are optional, but wouldn't be a bad idea....

I applaud kbh for asking this question.....

People need to stop criticizing other peoples choices, before they have really digested what is being discussed. It could be argued that it isn't really safe to navigate on the lake during the day, with out a chart plotter, but most of us don't have one of those do we?

This lake is for everyone to enjoy, through the full length of the day.... the next thing I know I am going to be told that swimming beside my dock at night is dangerous because of all the boating action...

Thanks, and yes, I am talking about early evening, after sunset, but not midnight. Also talking about May, not July... The area I would be in is around Dow Island, not alot of heavy boat traffic in the area. We are experienced sea kayakers with good equipment, just looking to stay legal when out after dark on the lake while we are up there with the yaks this month.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #11
Bear Guy

Default Lights

According to the link below, lights on boats must be used between sunset and sunrise. When I took the boating license course, the instructor told us to turn the lights on when it got dark (in other words, common sense should prevail).

You may be thinking of NH law regarding vehicle headlights, which actually requires use half-hour AFTER sunset until half-hour before sunrise.
Bear Guy is offline   Reply With Quote