Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #1
paintitredinHC

Default Proper Driving Technique

Public Service Announcement:

The video provided in the link below needs to be seen by everyone on the lake. Heck, it should part of the boater safety course when you get a license. Aside from making it a prerequisite to getting a license, I figured the next best way to distribute the message is via this forum. This video absolutely nails it. Pass your learning from this video on to your children - and even your children's children's children.

Go ahead and pass it along to all of your neighbors too.

http://www.learnwake.com/videos/prop...niques-part-1/

Happy boating season!

Last edited by paintitredinHC; 04-13-2016 at 12:52 PM.
paintitredinHC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paintitredinHC For This Useful Post:
winnipiseogee (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Winnisquamer

I think a huge problem with that video is yea sure they're great tips for wake boarders but it seems like to me unless it's sunrise/sunset when I'm out Wakeboarding everyone else I see is just driving around in circles ruining the calm water so they can make it fun for whoevers tubing..

I have chalked it up to you can't have tubers and calm water in the same area..

Friends don't let friends power turn.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
paintitredinHC

Default Tubers

As I've said before on here, Tubers ruin lives.

I think this video applies to more than just wakeboarding. It applies to water skiing, air chair/Sky skiing, and knee boarding (if your into that sorta thing). Tubers and even Wakesurfers should take their activities out into open water and out of coves/bays. For tubing, they are looking for waves and drive erratically which is actually less safe in the confines of a cove/bay anyway.

If everyone coordinated their lines, we could maybe sleep in a little bit! 6:00am weekend wake-ups aren't getting any easier. Don't ruin this utopian dream for me Winnisquamer.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
Winnisquamer

Man as someone who spends 95% of my time I am on the lake being pulled behind a boat whether its airchair, wakeboard, surfboard, wake skate, skis or anything homemade I support your cause 100%.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default One point towards the end of the video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintitredinHC View Post

The video provided in the link below needs to be seen by everyone on the lake. Heck, it should part of the boater safety course when you get a license. Aside from making it a prerequisite to getting a license, I figured the next best way to distribute the message is via this forum. This video absolutely nails it. Pass your learning from this video on to your children - and even your children's children's children.

Go ahead an pass it along to all of your neighbors too.

Happy boating season!

I found the thought process on the video to be pretty interesting, but one thing struck me as a little strange.

As I remember things in learning boating, if you are towing / pulling someone behind the boat, when you have someone fall into the water, you make your turn to the side that the helm is on; that is if the helm is on the starboard side of the boat, turn to starboard, and if on the port side, turn to port. That way both the observer and the operator have a chance to keep the person in the water in sight. It also allows the boat operator to keep sight of the person in the water as the boat is approaching that person.

In the video, when the person fell, the operator turned to port, with a starboard helm. Otherwise ok, I guess, from a non-wakeboarding boater.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #6
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I found the thought process on the video to be pretty interesting, but one thing struck me as a little strange.

As I remember things in learning boating, if you are towing / pulling someone behind the boat, when you have someone fall into the water, you make your turn to the side that the helm is on; that is if the helm is on the starboard side of the boat, turn to starboard, and if on the port side, turn to port. That way both the observer and the operator have a chance to keep the person in the water in sight. It also allows the boat operator to keep sight of the person in the water as the boat is approaching that person.

In the video, when the person fell, the operator turned to port, with a starboard helm. Otherwise ok, I guess, from a non-wakeboarding boater.

I am not saying this is why that driver did that but I know on my boat the way my prop rotation is the boat does not turn right easily, so although I want to turn right to keep the fallen rider on the visible side of the driver it is easier for me and my boat to make a left-hand turn and pick them up then a right hand turn.. I don't know if that is the case for the video but I would have to make some sort of assumption for inboards it may be similar?

Could parallel park my boat into any spot on the planet provided it's all left turns haha a single right hand turn and Id look like a brand-new boater out on the water for his first day at the dock.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
paintitredinHC (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
paintitredinHC

Thumbs up This guy

^^^

Nailed it.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #8
Outdoorsman

Default Proper Towing Technique

Perhaps a bit sarcastic but I can't resist

About 1 minute into this video you get a shot of the driver and a passenger behind him. The passenger behind him is texting on a cell phone. Now this is a bow rider so it is possible that the "spotter" is riding in the bow of the boat. Unfortunately, there are several other clip in this video where you can clearly see the driver is the only person on the boat.

Yes, the driver does have a cracked Rear View mirror, but this is not legal in NH. You must have x number of spotters per x number of people being towed. New boat owners, PLEASE make sure the spotters are spotting and not texting.

Happy boating season!

Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #9
paintitredinHC

Default Great point!

Spotters should always pay close attention when towing a rider.

I couldn't help but notice that they weren't actually towing anybody in that part of the video, but good call.
The Following User Says Thank You to paintitredinHC For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (04-12-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #10
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintitredinHC View Post

Go ahead an pass it along to all of your neighbors too.

Happy boating season!

OK, I can't resist.. I have to say it.

Please I wouldn't have reacted at all if you had said 'People that tow tubers, wakeboarders, skiers, etc. should watch this'. But everyone? Really?

I see NOTHING here that has anything to do with general boating. It also breaks NH Law in regards to spotters, and perhaps some other laws. So saying so strongly that every boater should watch this, well, perhaps, just to understand how wakes can be controlled.

But I like learning things, so I did enjoy watching it. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
paintitredinHC (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
paintitredinHC

I can certainly understand your perspective, as you rarely participate in water sports. That said, I think this is a good video for everyone to watch because it helps general boaters understand an experienced rider/driver's best practices.

I'll give you an example - say you are coming down a bay and you see another boat coming directly towards you with a skier. It would be greatly appreciated if you signal your intended course with a slight point of your bow to either port or starboard of the oncoming boat. At a safe(150') but not exaggerated distance, pass the boat and then cross right back into your original path. The idea here is to stay in the same line as the boat towing the skier/rider as they will likely take multiple passes along the same path. If you cross their path even hundreds of feet away, you will send rollers down the line. If you took a wide arching path to avoid the skier, again, you send rollers along the full length of the line.

To be fair, everyone doesn't need to follow these rules, but now that you know the best practices, it doesn't hurt to be considerate of other boaters does it?