Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
Rattletrap

Default New to boating looking for advice on GPS's

Thank you everyone for this forum i think its great! With that being said. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new pontoon Bennington 18' Pontoon boat and plan on using it on Winni.Could you please give me advise on GSP units what do i need? Do i need a chart plotter? What should i be looking for ect.

thank you
Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
Thank you everyone for this forum i think its great! With that being said. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new pontoon Bennington 18' Pontoon boat and plan on using it on Winni.Could you please give me advise on GSP units what do i need? Do i need a chart plotter? What should i be looking for ect.

thank you
Welcome to the forum, and boat ownership. Take a moment and do a search, and you'll find a few recent threads dealing with this question, among them information on a really good sale at Bass Pro Shops.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:

thank you
I wouldn't worry about a Chart Plotter, And for a GPS I would only worry about that if you plan to try night boating...... What you do however really need to do is to go get a map of the lake... Bizer is probably the easiest to use, but the Duncan press version is also good.

Why do I suggest a map? Not only will it aid in navigation, but as you begin boating on Winni it will help you chart your adventures....

While GPS units can be used, some of which are coming with markers already in them.... the best way to learn the lake is by using a map.....and asking questions....
Old 03-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
radioman

Default New to boating

Excellent previous advice! Make certain that whatever unit you select, will be compatible with the Bizer Chip. Winni is not forgiving, make certain that you study and are comfortable with the Spar Navigation System. (See page 15 of the NH Boaters Guide available at all marinas and from NH Lakes Assoc, Concord NH ) And yes, go for the Chart Plotter.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
Greene's Basin Girl

An 18' pontoon boat will be rough ride if you travel through the broads. I have a 24' pontoon and it handle chop very well.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #6
Cobalt 25

Simple GPS or more advanced chartplotter is a matter of personal choice, but in my mind a chart is an absolute must.

I believe most Garmin units require a chip for Lake Winni at an additional cost of maybe $125. When I use my 700 series Garmin chartplotter on the lake it shows me almost nothing except waypoints. I am mostly an ocean boater.

I'm hoping some folks with GPS/chartplotters can add to the discussion about chips needed. I still keep my chart handy after 50 years of navigating and enjoying the lake.

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
I'm hoping some folks with GPS/chartplotters can add to the discussion about chips needed. I still keep my chart handy after 50 years of navigating and enjoying the lake.

Peter
The Garmin GPS units can come with LakeVU HD maps, which for Winnipesaukee are great.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
kawishiwi

Default Others...

Quote:
Simple GPS or more advanced chartplotter is a matter of personal choice, but in my mind a chart is an absolute must.

I believe most Garmin units require a chip for Lake Winni at an additional cost of maybe $125. When I use my 700 series Garmin chartplotter on the lake it shows me almost nothing except waypoints. I am mostly an ocean boater.

Peter
As a fisherman I run both Lowrance w Navionics chip & Humminbird w Lakemaster chip. Both have buoys and bad rocks well located. Lakemaster has much better depth detail. If you are not fishing then Id suggest listening to the old hands here and go with their wisdom. You can go to bass pro shops and look at most of the electronic options. I would DEFINITELY advise having both a paper bizer map (w extra copy on board) AND the best gps you can afford. Trying to find spar buoys at night, once, without gps, will convince you of the gps!
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #9
RUGMAN

Default Also new to boating on the lake

just saw garmin 73dv with lake vu on bass pro shop site for $424.00. has winni on it.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #10
Mrcrete

Default Ipad

I bought bad elf for my iPad which makes it locate off satellite $99 navionics app
$49 double sided tape to attach to my console. $4
Works awesome
Mrcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #11
regalguy

Default Lake chart

I would tell you to save your money on the GPS unless you just like to spend money. Get yourself a nice laminated chart and use it. It won't take you long to know your way around. Just my opinion. Safe boating
regalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #12
chillininnh

I sell the Raymarine Dragonfly 5M with C-Map Essentials bundle. So easy to use you don't need a manual. It's a 2 wire install, out the door for well under $500. I don't like the Garmin software at all, it's too busy, too focused on fishing with all the contouring. The C-Map software is based on the Bizer chart and is the superior choice for simplicity and accuracy.
chillininnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:03 PM   #13
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by regalguy View Post
I would tell you to save your money on the GPS unless you just like to spend money. Get yourself a nice laminated chart and use it. It won't take you long to know your way around. Just my opinion. Safe boating
If you look at the many other threads on this topic you will see that no one believes a GPS is better than being versed in the "old fashion" navigation by chart.

HOWEVER, no matter how well you know the lake (and I feel quite confident) a GPS is an absolute awesome "addition" when boating at night.

Airedale1 (03-03-2016), pjard (03-03-2016), thinkxingu (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #14
Loub52

Having a GPS is a great way to cross reference where you are on the Bizer, and the Bizer is invaluable. One last thing, get a GPS you can see...e.g, whether you use eye glasses, contacts or not, its great to be able to effortlessly glance down for your position if your attention gets diverted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Loub52 For This Useful Post:
DRH (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 09:44 PM   #15
pjard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
If you look at the many other threads on this topic you will see that no one believes a GPS is better than being versed in the "old fashion" navigation by chart.

HOWEVER, no matter how well you know the lake (and I feel quite confident) a GPS is an absolute awesome "addition" when boating at night.

THANK YOU! I can't believe anyone would NOT suggest a GPS vs. a map. A map is great (Bizer is awesome, Duncan Press not so much), but nothing is better than a GPS. I have a Humminbird which uses the Navionics database....it's pretty darn accurate...even has individual docks that are correct in size and shape.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #16
MikeF-NH

on a big lake like this with many hazards and unexpected dangers for a new boater, I recommend BOTH a GPS with chip and a map/compass.

I started with a GPS with no chip and a Bizer map. The GPS gave me my general location and the map let me see the detail I needed to navigate. This meant I would often stop at planned points and pull out the map to confirm where I was and where I was headed. It also meant careful planning before i left the dock.

Now with the GPS with chip (Navionics is GREAT). I rely heavily on that as it give the detail of the map but is easily read at a glance though I seldom have to look as I have become more familiar. Don't get used to staring at the GPS though...your eyes should be on the water but slowing down for a quick look is fine. HOWEVER, I still carry my map and compass because like all electronics...anything can happen and leave you blind without a map. The Bizer also has lots of other information that Navionics does not like places to get gas, food etc.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #17
Rattletrap

Default GPS/Chartploter only

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
THANK YOU! I can't believe anyone would NOT suggest a GPS vs. a map. A map is great (Bizer is awesome, Duncan Press not so much), but nothing is better than a GPS. I have a Humminbird which uses the Navionics database....it's pretty darn accurate...even has individual docks that are correct in size and shape.
That's what i'm looking for the boat is coming with a depth finder and i just want a GPS/Chartploter i looked on line real nice. Where do you sell them?
Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #18
Phantom

Rattletrap --

Sounds like your new to boating on Winni .... Welcome !

From your first post, you are getting a 18' Pontoon - so no major concern (as you will have a shallow draft) - but in your last post you mention the boat is coming equipped with a Depth Finder.

Please be aware that the LAST piece of electronics of any value on a boat on Winni is a depth finder. We are a glacial lake.... rocks "Pop Up" out of nowhere and are in the most unexpected areas. Thus the markers.

By the time your Depth Finder alarm goes off you've already experienced the THUD of hitting that rock and are now back to 10-30 ft of water. This is true along shorelines as well.

You didn't mention it directly, but I don't want you to think that a depth finder will have ANY value --- other than amusement that you are in 180' (or whatever) of water or to watch how rapidly you go from 100' depth to 25' and back again i.e. the rocks

Again -- Welcome & safe boating

Old 03-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #19
Orion

Default respectfully disagree with some

I have to say that I would by far prefer a GPS to a map if I had to pick. The GPS includes the chart and tells you where you are on it. Of course constant visual and depth confirmation are used to cross-check the GPS whenever I go out. Navigating this lake at night without GPS is very difficult. Heck, navigating this lake in daytime can be difficult, and we won't even talk about fog (if you're an islander, you'll encounter this). I do have paper charts in both boats and my cell phone also has the Navionics app (which is excellent, and I sometimes hand off to a passenger when night navigating to back me up). As for my background, I was a trained U.S. Navy navigator, and navigated across the ocean using a sextant and LORAN. Give me a modern GPS any day!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #20
Cobalt 25

I don't mean to quibble but I always thought you used "maps" on a highway and "charts" on the water.

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobalt 25 For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (03-07-2016), Descant (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 05:43 AM   #21
Gray Ghost

Quote:
I don't mean to quibble but I always thought you used "maps" on a highway and "charts" on the water.

Peter
That is why they call a marine GPS units Chart Plotters.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gray Ghost For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (03-07-2016), Cobalt 25 (03-07-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #22
Rich

I've got a few year old Garmin chart plotter/depth/gps that I should probably sell. But I think it's on my boat, so I can't get to it until unrwap time.

It was new on a boat I sold a few years ago, and I used it as a 'spare', but one doesn't really need a backup chart plotter on Winni. My back up is my paper chart.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #23
townsde

Default Yes get a GPS

I always have a GPS on my boat and a Bizer Chart. I use the Bizer chip in my GPS so my GPS screen and the Bizer chart are showing me the same thing.

I like and use Garmin GPS units however since Jan 2015 Garmin has changed their units so they do not accept 3rd party chips like Navionics or Bizer.

In my opinion, the Garmin Lakeview Chart is OK for fishing but not for navigation on Winni.

Take a look at The other units but be sure they will work with the Bizer chip.
townsde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to townsde For This Useful Post:
motionxxusxx (06-02-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #24
Rattletrap

Default Gps

I was reading some reviews as i don't know much about these. Do all units allow you to put in a way point and then give you the basic safe route to that point regardless of what obstacles are in the way?
Old 03-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #25
Salty

I do not know of any that do that. You have to create your own routes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #26
Orion

Default auto routing

Quote:
I was reading some reviews as i don't know much about these. Do all units allow you to put in a way point and then give you the basic safe route to that point regardless of what obstacles are in the way?
The Navionics boating app for smartphones or tablets allows you to do that with an in-app purchase option. Out of curiosity, I tried it on a route from Moultonborough Bay to Meredith and it did a pretty good job.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #27
thinkxingu

My Garmin will do that. It uses the "suggested safe passage" routes.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #28
persistence

I'm mainly on salt water, where I have a mounted chart plotter and I keep an older Garmin Colorado running for backup. It's also nice for passengers to look at without cramming the helm. I always have paper charts on board. I've had nav systems go down together, and its pretty nice to pull that chart out when needed. it usually happens as you approach a shoal or at speed

I think the same goes for the lake. Always have a paper chart on board. I'm learning the lake, and have found that the navionics app with my Iphone is pretty nice. it covers the U.S. and I was happy to see the lake included. A good way to learn is keep the gps running and compare landmarks to the chart as you go.
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #29
Rattletrap

Default Garmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
My Garmin will do that. It uses the "suggested safe passage" routes.

What model do you have?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #30
thinkxingu

Quote:
What model do you have?
50DV, a couple years old--I think it's the 55 now? Really like it and have had no issues with it on the northern part of the lake, which is what most consider to be the trickiest section.