Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
HomeWood

Default Boating certificate for out of towner?

I just bought a boat...today. My wife and I are talking about driving up this summer to the lake and the Cape. If I wanted to bring this up to use on Winni, do I need a boating certificate? I'm guessing yes, but let me know.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
Knot Droolin'

Default Boating Certificate

The short answer is yes. Here is the outline of the requirement:

Chapter 4: The Legal Requirements of Boating
Who May Operate a Vessel
A vessel powered by 25 horsepower or less does not require the operator to have a Safe Boater Education Certificate.

A “ski craft” (motorized vessel less than 13 feet long that is capable of exceeding 20 miles per hour and has the capacity to carry no more than an operator and one other person) may be operated only by persons who are 16 years old or older and who have a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate as required by the “Schedule for Required Safe Boater Education.”

A vessel powered by more than 25 horsepower (other than a “ski craft”) may be operated by:

A person under 16 years of age only if he or she is accompanied by a person 18 years old or older who has a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate. The accompanying person is responsible for any injury or damage caused during operation of the vessel.
A person 16 years of age or older only if he or she has obtained a Safe Boater Education Certificate as required by the “Schedule for Required Safe Boater Education.”
A Safe Boater Education Certificate may be obtained by persons 16 years of age or older only and must be carried on board.

Effective January 1, 2007, persons will be eligible to apply for a Safe Boater Education Certificate only by successfully passing one of the following:
A proctored examination administered as part of a classroom boating safety course approved by the New Hampshire Marine Patrol
A proctored equivalency examination approved by the New Hampshire Marine Patrol
A National Association of State Boating Law Administrators–approved course and examination from another state
The home-study and Internet courses will still be available after January 1, 2007. The course completion certificate that you obtain by passing one of these courses will admit you to the proctored equivalency examination.
Operators who have obtained a Safe Boater Education Certificate prior to January 1, 2007, will not be required to re-take a course or an examination.

Schedule for Required Safe Boater Education
If born on or after... Then certificate is required by...
January 1, 1983 January 1, 2002
January 1, 1977 January 1, 2003
January 1, 1973 January 1, 2004
January 1, 1967 January 1, 2005
January 1, 1963 January 1, 2006
January 1, 1957 January 1, 2007
All January 1, 2008

I have heard there is a two week temporary certificate that you can test for at local vendors, such as marinas, but I do not know who would give those exams.
Knot Droolin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Airwaves

HomeWood
Since you're posting from NC I'd say take a Power Squadron or US Coast Guard Auxiliary boating class. Both those certificates are good in NH.

I believe the 14 day temporary certificate issued by NH can only be issued once and is only good in NH.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood
... do I need a boating certificate?
Short answer: People over 50 don't need a certificate until 2008; young-uns need one in 2007.

Check to see if your state has a safe boater course. NH usually recognizes other states' safe boater certificates.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
HomeWood

Thanks for the replies. In NC you don't have to have any safety certificate. Jump in and go. I'm 27, so I guess I need one in NH. I'll see if something is offered here, it would be a good thing to get anyway. The boat I got is a 2006 Tracker deep vee hull fishing boat. It's a side console with a 60 hp Mercury. It's got live wells, storage, all that stuff.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Sunrise Point

My husband and my son took an adult education course at the local high school down here in MA. The course was given by the Blue Hills Power Squadron and met once a week for several weeks. The certificate that they received after passing the exam is good in NH as well as MA.

You could check locally for a course/certification that would do the same.

Good luck with your new boat.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
ITD

Sounds like a nice boat for this lake, especially the deep vee. I would also check out the rules and buoys unique to NH, you can find links to the info. in the link section of this site. Also buy a chart, I like the Bizer chart, again available on this site or at most stores around the lake, it's a big lake but there are many rocks and shallow spots. I've been averaging three or four boats a summer that I direct away from the rocks going into Center Harbor, looks wide open, but it isn't. Lots of spots like that. Have fun, hope you make it up.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
Skip

Exclamation You can get your certificate right at home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood
Thanks for the replies. In NC you don't have to have any safety certificate. Jump in and go. I'm 27, so I guess I need one in NH. I'll see if something is offered here, it would be a good thing to get anyway. The boat I got is a 2006 Tracker deep vee hull fishing boat. It's a side console with a 60 hp Mercury. It's got live wells, storage, all that stuff.
Today is your lucky day!

North Carolina offers the on-line boater education certificate program through Boat-Ed, the same Company that offers its services to the State of New Hampshire. This course is NASBLA certified and the certificate you receive is honored here in New Hampshire.

And while you don't need a certificate to operate in your State under your conditions, North Carolina still offers the course and certificate to better educate its boaters and the State hints that you may be eligible for an in state insurance discount!

It gets even better! You can take the course on-line (after careful studying, of course) and get your certificate for a mere $20!!!!

So, when you come to New Hampshire (and many other States) you'll have the necessary certificate in hand and be ready to relax!

HERE is the website you need to navigate to and start on the path of securing your certificate!

Good luck and welcome to boating up here in our fine State, we'll be glad to have you!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:08 PM   #9
HomeWood

Thanks ya'll. Very helpfull info Skip, I appreciate it. I'm not new to the lake. I've been going to the grandparents place in Moultonborough since I was born and we have boats there also. Old ones, but they work. "Lake Geezer" is just a few doors down actually and I met up with him this winter while fishing the Rotary derby. I'm definately going to take that course online. Thanks again. Hopefully I can make it up this summer. I have some favorite fishing spots.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
Kamper

On line certificates issued after December 31, 2006 are not honorred in NH,
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #11
Paugus Bay Resident

I believe only results of proctored exams are valid. You can take the course on-line, but the exam portion needs to be proctored.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #12
Skip

Exclamation New Hampshire, the exception to the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident
I believe only results of proctored exams are valid. You can take the course on-line, but the exam portion needs to be proctored.
New Hampshire has painted itself in to a corner with its recent change in boater education rules. As we are all aware, effective the begining of this year you can still take the boater safety course on-line, but you must take a proctored exam to receive your certificate.

Also, the on line course is still being hosted by Boat-ed, a NASBLA certified course instructor.

The fly in the ointment is that the other 35 states that require a safe boating certificate also contract on-line with Boat-ed and each of those other 35 states still allow and honor the on-line certificate testing process! These other 35 states offer reciprocity with each other & the State of New Hampshire.

So, what does the NHMP do now? It clearly requires New Hampshire residents to take a proctored exam but it has no ability to dictate how other States grant their certificates other than to require the originating source is NASBLA approved. Additionally (if everyone remembers) many individuals received certificates in New Hampshire that has "source: internet" stamped on it, while others (like me) did not.

Further aggravating the situation is that a number of States the we have reciprocity with do not indicate the source of the license on the license itself, and unlike motor vehicle licenses there is no nationwide database that an MP can check!

My best and only advice to Homewood is to call Captain Mark Gallagher at New Hampshire Marine Patrol HQ and get the State's policy for dealing with out-of-state licenses directly from the source.

Captain Gallagher can be reached at: 603-293-2037

In the interim I will also see if I can find out what the NHMP policy will be regarding this issue.

Very interesting!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #13
Airwaves

Or, as I posted above, you could take a USPS or USCGAUX course, those certificates are good nationally in states where a certificate is required.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #14
offmycloud

Does anyone know if that "source: internet" thing on the certificate changes the validity of the certificate at all? Do we have to take another test eventually? I just checked and mine has that. Everyone I know rushed to do the internet so they wouldn't have to waste a day at the proctored exam.
Thanks!
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default Other State Certificate

I know New Hampshire no longer offers the online course but will they definitely not accept another states online certificate? Don't remember that ever being addressed when they changed the rules in New hampshire.
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #16
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by offmycloud
Does anyone know if that "source: internet" thing on the certificate changes the validity of the certificate at all? Do we have to take another test eventually? I just checked and mine has that. Everyone I know rushed to do the internet so they wouldn't have to waste a day at the proctored exam.
Thanks!
I think that as long as the test was taken and passed on or before Dec. 31, 2006 then it's still valid even though the source on your certificate says "internet" as mine also does. One other question..if NH recognizes other states online exams why can't someone from NH just go to the website of that state and take their online test? Do you have to be a resident of that state to take their test?? Is this a "blonde" question? ( no offense to anyone! - I'm blonde). Skip??
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:08 AM   #17
WeirsBeachBoater

Default I think

That the online versions from other states are NOT valid. Skip probably can site the RSA.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #18
HomeWood

Great info Skip! I just got back from the ins. agent and she said that I would have gotten a discount if I had already taken a course. I can still get a credit after I take a course in the future. For the 4 days we wanted to be at the lake, it may not be worth the hassle of getting a NH certificate. I guess I can just use the row boat with the 6hp to go fishing. The online course here is $20 I think, the ins. agent looked it up for me.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #19
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default Online courses

I still don't read where other state online certificates are not valid. Online references seem to be only dealing with New Hampshire administered courses.

The section dealing with other state certificates only reads, they will accept "A National Association of State Boating Law Administrators–approved course and examination from another state."
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #20
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVoting Taxpayer
I still don't read where other state online certificates are not valid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270-D:15 Certificate Not Required
A person shall not be required to obtain a certificate of boating safety education if the person holds a certificate from any state indicating successful completion of boating safety education that meets or exceeds the requirements of this subdivision, a certificate from the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, or a certificate from the United States Power Squadron.
I think that the key phrase in the law is "that meets or exceeds the requirements of this subdivision". Since an online course no longer meets the requirements in NH any certificate obtained online in other states wouldn't meet or exceed the NH requirements.

That also explains why online certificates issued in other states before 1/1/07 do qualify since the NH law also allows them.

Please correct me if I misinterpreted this.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...D/270-D-15.htm
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #21
mattmike

I am a little confused. Can I take an online course from another state through Boat-ed and have it valid here in NH. Does anyone know for sure?
mattmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #22
Mee-n-Mac

Question Loophole ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmike
I am a little confused. Can I take an online course from another state through Boat-ed and have it valid here in NH. Does anyone know for sure?
I think Don has the "official answer" above. That said, if you get a SBC (or got one after 1/1/2007) online via another state, it's questionable whether NH could know it was via an online test. Some people have stated their NH SBC is marked "online" but I don't know that one from other states is marked that way as well. I'll guess they're all dated, no matter what state issues the SBC. Perhaps someone with an out-of-state SBC taken via the InterNet will let us know what it says on theirs.

What are the other 35 states Skip mentioned that NH recognizes ?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #23
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmike
I'm a little confused too, and don't know if anyone else knows for sure, either.

But if I'm wrong and stopped by the Marine Patrol, I intend to invoke the phrase, "Ignorance of the law is a pretty good excuse."
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #24
Airwaves

According to the Boat/US site:
Quote:
NEW HAMPSHIRE NO LONGER ACCEPTS INTERNET COURSES FOR THIER EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS. YOU MUST TAKE A PROCTORED TEST FROM AN APPROVED PROVIDER.
So I would take that to mean that NH no longer recognizes any new certificates (post 1/1/07) given via internet from any state or Boat/US.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:56 PM   #25
wehatetoquitit

I have a cert. issued in CA. nothing on it about online course. Before I took the cert test I checked with the NHMP and was told that as long as it was NASBLA approved it would be OK. Mine has NASBLA stamp on the back. Guess there is only one way to be sure though.
wehatetoquitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:37 AM   #26
Phantom

I believe everyone is stating their "opinion" as to how they interpret the change in NH law.

Not that it matters for us (we all have NH certs), but I can see through the thread all different "interpretations" --- has anyone actually called and asked the question. And in so doing being VERY specific about the question so as not to get "legal doubletalk" ???

I believe in another thread there was a MP captains phone #

At this point I'm now getting curious as to what I tell friends.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #27
mudpuppy

Default Wehatetoquitit

What on line course did you take? I live in Orange County, CA and have a condo on winni. I am looking for a class to take out here that is good in NH.

Thanks,
Mud
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #28
tricia1218

The test was on-line until Jan 1, after that I believe you have to take a class, and then the test.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #29
wehatetoquitit

Mudpuppy:

I took the course given by "boat-ed" administered by NASBlA, it was a good on-line course. The tests for NH are still on line, however they are practice only. For the cert. in NH you have to take a proctored exam. As I said in an earlier post. I checked with the MP in Laconia, and the lady who answered the phone, said as long as it was a NASBLA course it would be OK. I guess I will not know for sure unless I am stopped.
wehatetoquitit is offline   Reply With Quote