Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
John E

Default Newbie advice?

Any advice for a newbie boater on visiting Winnipesaukee? I have a small inboard mastercraft bowrider. I was planning on staying a weekend in May at one of the lakefront hotels possibly the Inns at Bay Point to get a little familiar with the lake. I figure it's early season and wouldn't be too busy.

I'd also like to stay a week in the summer. Doesn't need to be the big lake if there's other recommendations.

I'm not young, and will be with my wife (no kids).

I'll take any advice anyone wants to share. About the lake, navigation, restaurants, anything.

I just joined the forum, and plan to spend the winter reading through the new and archived posts.

Thanks in advance,

John
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:03 AM   #2
This'nThat

Default Dress warm

If you're boating in May -- bring a jacket. And sweater. Maybe some gloves. Just be prepared for a cool weekend, although it could also be very nice.

You're right -- boat traffic should be lighter then. But if the wind blows, hug the coastline in a small boat. Also make sure you get a navigation map of the lake and study it before you go out. That way you can avoid some of the hazards and tight spots, like the Witches, for example.

It's fun to cruise slowly along the shore. In May, people are opening their houses, so there'll be a lot of shore activity to observe. And although many complain about the McMansions, just looking at them is great fun! There's no way you can see it all in a weekend, so don't try.

Take a morning cruise, and an evening cruise. The sunrises and sunsets across the water and mountains are fantastic.

As for the summer week -- my favorite time is when the weather is warmest, yet the sunset is still late, like in mid-July. In mid-week you basically have the lake to yourself. Pulling into the Wolfeboro or Merideth docks for an outside lunch at the fish restaraunts, or the nice, warm, late evening cruises are great. I like seeing the Mt. Washington in the evening, and of course the Party Boat on Friday and Saturday nights -- always fun. There's also some fireworks going off somewhere on the weekends, and the best view is from the boat, of course. Going into one of the coves, dropping anchor, a little swimming or just eating lunch while at anchor is not a bad way to spend an afternoon, either.

I think I have found that one doesn't need to be entertained -- you can get all the entertainment you want with your small boat.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Phantom

This'nThat put it pretty much in a nutshell --

John E I think if you take the time to look through the recent archives here you will find a number of helpful hints and ideas -- staying at Church Landing or Bay Point (although perhaps a tad expensive) gives you an excellant launching point for daily boating being at the end of Merideth Bay.

As indicated, May can be great for weather or a bit chilly -- prepare for both. You may even find the days delightful, but an early evening cruise dang right cold. I am familiar with your Mastercraft, and presume your about a 20 footer ...... If you have a bow canvas, I would highly recommend it -- it will keep the rides a lot warmer.

Also, Do not forget about the Boating Certificate (age dependant) you can pick up threads on that here as well.

Finally -- WELCOME to the Forum ..... I think you will find as I have, there's a tremendous amount of information that can be gathered here.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
Dave R

Welcome,

Sounds like nice plan you have. You've already received plenty of good advice, the best probably being about getting a chart. The lake can be confusing to navigate and expensive mistakes are all too easy to make. The markers in the lake can be a bit confusing and the "obvious path" around them is often the wrong path. The chart will show the proper route to take around any marker that is in any possible way ambiguous, and pretty much every marker, regardless.

You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer place to spend a week in the Summer. Summer weekdays spent boating are heavenly on Winnipesaukee.

My advice: Get a copy of the "Destination Winnipesaukee" DVD. It offers all the info you could ever want for restaurants and hotels; and quite a bit of good boating info as well. I have no affiliation with the DVD.

Good luck!
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
Woodsy

Don't know your age.... but more than likely you will be required to take the Safe Boaters Course and have your certificate! make sure you get a Bizer's Map!! Lake Winnipesaukee uses the Cardinal System of navigation and it can be tricky for a newbie boater, especially if you don't have a compass in your boat. If your boat has a GPS that takes a C-Map chip even better.

There are so many things to see and do...

Sally's Gut
Braun Bay
Greens Basin
Weirs Beach

the list goes on and on...

Have fun!!

Woodsy
Old 12-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
Steveo

Not much more advise I can give on where to go but I will re-emphasis 2 things - get a current lake navigation map and DO NOT go out after dark. The lake is much too dangerous at night (let alone during day too) for a novice.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #7
Superfly

Default Options to Lake Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E
I'd also like to stay a week in the summer. Doesn't need to be the big lake if there's other recommendations.
John E,

Referencing your comment that it doesn't have to be the big lake, I would suggest Ossipee Lake. Ossipee Lake is a good size lake connected to 3 different bays via channels. The Bays and channels add to the character and adventure of the lake. You'll find at least 3 hot spots where boaters like to drop anchor and just enjoy the day. The grills are always going and there's typically a volleyball game going on. I have see many rental signs during my travels, call a local real estate agent. There's at least 3 Marinas where you can gas up and purchase snacks and drinks.

With a chart of the lake and a little common sense it would be hard to get yourself in trouble. At a slow cruise from the furthest bay to Ossipee Lake it will take you at least an hour of boating. Then there are are 2 rivers off Ossippe Lake that can be explored. I regularly see all types of wildlife on the rivers, deer, beaver and eagels to name a few.

Weekends get busy but not to the point where you want to stay tied to your dock and not go out. The Lake is always patrolled by Marine Patrol and I have only found them helpful. Take the time to check it out, you won't be disappointed.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E
Any advice for a newbie boater on visiting Winnipesaukee? I have a small inboard mastercraft bowrider. I was planning on staying a weekend in May at one of the lakefront hotels possibly the Inns at Bay Point to get a little familiar with the lake.
You may find a Saturday morning ride on the Mount to Wolfeboro and back to the Weirs ( http://www.cruisenh.com/2006/daytime/index.html ) an enjoyable way to gain some perspective of the Lake, while staying warm, and letting someone else do the driving while you and your wife enjoy the views.

You may order your navigation map(s) of the Lake from this website ( http://www.bizer.com/ and http://www.duncanpressinc.com/ ).This will allow you time during the Winter to become familiar with some names, routes, islands, and ports, while supporting this website financially.

The wife may enjoy a visit to the AnnaLee museum ( http://www.annalee.com/ ), which is just a short from the Inns.

Another tour boat adventure a short ride from the Inns would be the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center ( http://www.nhnature.org/golden.htm ). The Center also would be a nice way to spend some time ( http://www.nhnature.org/planning_your_visit.html and http://www.nhnature.org/calendar_of_events.htm ).

This will afford you the opportunity to explore and enjoy the area in a relaxing manner. Don't forget to bring along your map(s) to gain perspective, while enjoying your boat tours.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
Cal

Meredith , Weirs Beach , Wolfeboro and Alton Bay all have public docks and eating spots. My typical week at the lake I put 20 miles on my truck and a couple of hundred in the boat. Lots to see and do on the lake. Like Steveo said , stay off the lake at night unless you are familiar with it. Things begin to all look alike and it's easy to get lost. Don't miss Ames Farm for breakfast and Sandy Point for prime rib and/or lobster dinner , they're worth the trip .
And welcome to the forum
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
John E

Thanks for all the tips.

I will get the Bizer's map and study it. I don't know much about navigation, but will learn this winter. I have a few friends who are serious offshore fishermen, so I'd guess they can help me learn.

My wife and I always go someplace the weekend before Memorial Day. Twice to the Vineyard. One year it was near 80 degrees, the next in the 50's. I'm not worried if it's cold that weekend. I'm looking at it as a learning experience, and wouldn't want to do it at the height of the busy season.

We live in MA, about 2 hr. away.

I have my boater certification. Got it online last winter right after buying the boat. I grew up on a very small lake in MA, and used to do a lot of skiing. I still love to ski, but want to come up north more for just some nice boating.

I am very conservative, and wouldn't think about going out at night yet.

I will be checking out the links - thanks for posting them. I'll also be reading archives to learn what I can.

I have spent a fair amount of time down the Cape and have plenty of friends there with boats. I just prefer lake boating, and want to venture north to see what I'm missing.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments. And if anyone has anything to add, I'm all ears.

John
Old 12-20-2006, 08:34 AM   #11
Phantom

John E -- just curious, what Lake in Mass -- Quinsig?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #12
John E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
John E -- just curious, what Lake in Mass -- Quinsig?
Lake Maspenock in Hopkinton. Small, very narrow, and very rocky. My parents have had a "cottage" there since the 60's. They recently renovated and added on to it and now live there full time. Great for skiing, and doesn't get real busy on the weekend, only later in the day. But so small, that it's not much fun for spending a whole day boating. Sort of like jogging on a track vs. the boston Marathon.

Very convenient, though as I live about 2 miles away, and will often go out after work, and for just a few hours on the weekend. And they have a ramp in their yard, so I keep my boat home, not in the water.

I actually lived in the cottage for the first 2 years I got married, and it was difficult to leave the lake. That was 13 years ago. Unfortunately we were running a 16' 90 hp outboard at the time.

I also plan to try a few different lakes here in MA if you have any suggestions. Is there public access to Quinsig? Do you live on the lake?

John
Old 12-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #13
John E

Default monkey wrench

So I just tried to book something at Church Landing for May 18 and 19. The 18th is completely booked there as well as their other 3 inns. They say that is very unusual. So I have a few choices and am looking for advice.

1. Stay Saturday and Sunday rather than Friday and Saturday. Work wise that doesn't work as well for us.

2. Come up the following weekend which is Memorial Day weekend. The drawback is it will be alot busier, which is what I was trying to avoid.

3. Find somewhere else to stay on Friday the 18th and come up on the day which is preferable. If so, can anyone recommend someplace near the Inns at Mills falls? Not necessarily on the water. Or even another on water hotel either on Winnipesaukee, or elsewhere. What about Winnisuam? How far is Winnisuam from Winnipesaukee?

I am coming up in February to stay at Church Landing. I thought we could enjoy the weekend, as well as check out as much as we could for May.

Again, and advice will be appreciated.

John
Old 12-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #14
GWC...

This may be worthy of a look-see, since you will be bringing your boat.

Also, ask if the restaurant they utilize is the Lyon's Den ( http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3934 ) in Gilford…

The Inn at Smith Cove

Gilford, NH

http://www.innatsmithcove.com/

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepag...latlontype=DMS

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepag...latlontype=DMS
Old 12-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #15
Phantom

John E -- Don't know how familiar you are with this forum yet -- take a peek up under your "Welcome, John E" at the Top right of your screen---- you've got mail !!!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #16
John E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
John E -- Don't know how familiar you are with this forum yet -- take a peek up under your "Welcome, John E" at the Top right of your screen---- you've got mail !!!
Thanks Phantom. And back at ya.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:17 PM   #17
Silver Duck

John

You might also want to consider the Naswa over by Weirs Beach. Not nearly as upscale as Church Landing, but they have docks where you could leave your boat overnight and a very lively beach bar!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:33 PM   #18
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Duck
John

You might also want to consider the Naswa over by Weirs Beach. Not nearly as upscale as Church Landing, but they have docks where you could leave your boat overnight and a very lively beach bar!

Silver Duck

My favorite , mainly for the docking.

http://www.naswaresort.com/

Another nice spot (with docks) but my boats to big for them. Their max is about 21'.

http://www.sandypointbeachresort.com/
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:22 PM   #19
Bizer

Default I have a list of hotels with docking

A few years ago, I went around the lake and compiled a list of hotels/motels with docking for guests. If you go to www.bizer.com and click on "HOTELS W/ DOCKING" on the left side, you will see the list. I have no opinions as to the accomodations. This is only a list and I receive no compensation for posting their names, so it should be almost complete.

Some hotels charge dearly for dock space while others do not. One Paugus Bay hotel charged $100 for docking (regardless of the length of stay). Ouch.

One motel requested that they not be included in my list, so they aren't.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #20
John E

Thanks again for all the replies. I look forward to checking out the links this weekend when I have the time.

John