Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
paulamos101

Smile More and More Rinkers!!

I read the Forum all the time and I think this is my first posting. I keep seeing "Rinkerfam"... up until a few years ago, we thought we were the only ones who had a Rinker. We had a 1984 cuddy 20' weekender which we ran in the Merrimack River out of Haverhill, MA. We enjoyed our Rinker, had very little problems with it until it finally blew the engine 4 years ago... will certainly look at another Rinker when we retire (in our late 50s) and can put more time into it. "Rinkerfam"... we spend several days each summer picnicing on the channel at Weirs Beach... what is the name on your Rinker so we can say "hello" when you go by... we will be enjoying a picnic there tomorrow (Friday 8/11).
paulamos101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
codeman671

There is definitely no shortage of Rinkers on Winnipesaukee. There is one sitting at my dock as well (not named)...Bright yellow and hard to miss. Have a great picnic!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
jmbbop

Default Happy Rinker Owner

I too have a Rinker, and there are a handful within Gilford YC

New to boating this year, bought a 270

Tons of room, lots of storage, very few problems

Thouroughly enjoyed it so far this year
jmbbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
jrc

When I was in Samoset there were quite a few Captiva bow riders, all the owners seemed very happy with them. They held up very well given the beating we all took on those docks and moorings.

At my new place, a few of the 34' cruisers with the blue hull really stand out. Silver Sands is one of the big boat dealers on the lake and they sell Rinkers.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #5
Rinkerfam

paulamos101-
We love our 232 Captiva bowrider. We bought it new from Silver Sands in 2004. This is our second Rinker. We had a '96 192 Captive bowrider before this one. We had such great luck with the first one that purchasing another one was a no brainer. We keep our boat in Paugus Bay, so we go through the channel on every outing. Keep an eye out for us. The boat is red and has the Liberty Edition graphics (large U.S. flag on both sides). The name on the stern is "Room 4 More". Give a shout if you see us!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
jlrm73

Default Rinker gelcoat info?

I was searching the thread for some info about gelcoat bubbling...
thought I would see it, but this is just as good!!
My boyfriend and I are looking to buy our first boat, a 1997 Rinker Captiva
232; the only issue with this boat that we can see is the gelcoat is bubbling in places. You can't press them, they are hard, but there are numerous spots on the boat. The current owner says he tried to have Rinker or Silver Sands (where he bought it) re-do the paint, but they won't under warranty (paint isn't covered)... I have been doing some research online, and see it's a pretty big problem out there, some troublesome, some not, and see it can be up to $2000 to repaint the bottom? He says there is no water leaking in through the hull. He is a family friend so we believe him!! He also says they have been there for a few years.
The boat is in great shape, and we do love it, but worry about this. Does anyone have any thoughts about when/if we may have to fix this?
Thanks!
jlrm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
Paugus Bay Resident

The problem is blistering (osmosis) and is usually an issue with the gel coat and process the manufacturer uses. It is not unusual and most often happens to boats that stay in the water all season. I had a boat (manufacturer withheld) that had severe blistering. Under the 5 year hull warranty, the manufacturer redid the bottom and extended the warranty. Not sure what Rinker's warranty is, but it sounds like its out of warranty. It's not necessarily a major problem. Here are a couple of links that give more info.

http://www.nsc.ca/nsc_library/techtalk/osmosis.htm

http://www.boatus.com/goodoldboat/blisterbottom.asp

The fiberglass shop across from Faye's (Bill Amadon) did the bottom on my last boat and it came out great. The manufacturer actually came out and certified them so the boat didn't have to go back to the factory for the work.

$2,500 sounds about right to have the bottom re-done. If you're getting a good deal on the boat, and have a competent shop do the work, you're probably OK.

I'd definitely check with Bill. Good luck.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
jlrm73

Default Thanks!!!

I will definitely do that...thanks for the info!!!
jlrm73 is offline   Reply With Quote