Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
BlackCatIslander

Default Dec. 31 is the deadline!!!

Remember that effective January 1, 2007 New Hampshire will require that everyone pass a proctored, in person exam in order to apply for the required New Hampshire Safe Boater Education Certificate. Those who have obtained a certificate on line will not be required to retake a course or exam.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Online vs. Proctored Certs

If memory serves me correctly, the online version of the Cert is only good in New Hampshire-won't help you out of state.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
Waterbaby

Default A Great Big THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatIslander
Remember that effective January 1, 2007 New Hampshire will require that everyone pass a proctored, in person exam in order to apply for the required New Hampshire Safe Boater Education Certificate. Those who have obtained a certificate on line will not be required to retake a course or exam.
BCI -- Thanks for that reminder, in all of the Christmas preparations and rush that little "mental note to self" fell into the black hole in my brain, and probably would have ejected itself on January 2. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

Waterbaby
Old 12-28-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
Pineedles

Default Out of staters SOL?

Do you mean that OOStrs shouldn't bother with the online test? Or the certification is no good out of state?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:55 PM   #5
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Certs

I re-took the course in Jan 2006 through the Power Squadron in Portsmouth as a refresher. I don't remember the rule in '97 when I took the classroom version thru the USCG Aux. in Mass., so back then as an out-of-stater myself I am not sure if I was out of compliance while boating in N.H.. Not likely.

In the Power Squadron course in Portsmouth last January, they made a point of telling us that classroom was better for several reasons (I agree)-one of them being online certs won't help when I am boating outside of N.H., which I do alot of when I dive. Whether or not out-of-staters will have a problem here in N.H., sorry, I just don't know.

Two ways to find out: Call MP in Gilford or call the US Power Squadron HQ-they would certainly know as they wrote and administered the 8 week course in Portsmouth (888-367-8777; www. usps.org).

Lastly, it was no accident I took it in the middle of the winter. Great time to have to hit the books and attend 8 2-3 hour night classes, and not in the middle of dive and boating time April-November. There won't be any slick way around the new law-commit to (any course), get your sheepskin and move on. You won't regret it.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111
If memory serves me correctly, the online version of the Cert is only good in New Hampshire-won't help you out of state.

Diver -- I have not researched it out fully yet - but my understanding is that the On-line test is good in other states (Mass for example if you fall in the 12-15 yr old bracket for a required Cert) because it is a NASBLA approved course. Unfortunately, all our Cert's are currently locked away beneath shrink wrap ao I can't look at a Cert and see if it clearly has the NASBLA approved logo ................

Love to know if I'm wrong ..... however it doesn't make much difference in our household any longer as we are all of "legal" age in Mass and all have ours for NH --- the only two places we boat.

And that's not to knock taking a course -- personally, I administered the Mass course here a few years back and think it's a tremendous idea (you always pick up a little tid-bit here and there) even for an "experianced" boater.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Diver -- I have not researched it out fully yet - but my understanding is that the On-line test is good in other states (Mass for example if you fall in the 12-15 yr old bracket for a required Cert) because it is a NASBLA approved course. Unfortunately, all our Cert's are currently locked away beneath shrink wrap ao I can't look at a Cert and see if it clearly has the NASBLA approved logo ................

Love to know if I'm wrong ..... however it doesn't make much difference in our household any longer as we are all of "legal" age in Mass and all have ours for NH --- the only two places we boat.

And that's not to knock taking a course -- personally, I administered the Mass course here a few years back and think it's a tremendous idea (you always pick up a little tid-bit here and there) even for an "experianced" boater.
Looked at my cert just now. And it does say NASBLA APPROVED...now as to weather it is valid outside NH, well that could get tricky I took the course online, and on the back itindicates that.....So IMO what this means is that in a state that also had a valid online course your probably ok, in a state that never had a valid online course it could be questioned.... know having said all that my other opinion is that, I look at the rules of any state I am going to boat in, and if they have a certification law, I get certified in that state, then there is never any question.. I would rather spend a few bucks, to have fun, then not and end up spending the afternoon in discussions with law enforcement.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Not all NASBLA certificates created equal

NASBLA = National Association of State Boating Law Administrators

As I recall, most any state that requires a NASBLA approved Safe Boating Education Certificate will accept the New Hampshire on-line course certificate. Just because the NH on-line test goes away in 2007 does not diminish the benefits of the certificates issued prior to that (which, according to the NH web site, are GOOD FOR LIFE). NH on-line certificate has the NASBLA approved logo.

So, Out of Staters can take and use the NH-online course and certificate. They can use it in NH and many other states where NASBLA course certificates are required.

NH Hampshire will accept NASBLA approved certificates from MOST other sources. Notably NH will NOT recognize the Boat US on-line course and certificate (CT and a few other states do not recognize the Boat US cert). Courses and Safe Boating Ed Certificates proctored by Power Squadron and USCGA are also accepted in NH.

Here's a link to a chart of states and their respective certificate requirements (from NASBLA). Includes links to the specific Safe Boating agencies in each state. When in doubt, call/write the appropriate agency and get confirmation.

Boater Education Requirements by state

Happy and safe boating:

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
Superfly

Default According to NH Boater Eduaction ...

According to NH Boater Eduaction ...

Anyone that took the on-line boater education test, your certificate is only good in the state of New Hampshire.

If you earned your certificate by attending a course, sponsored or recognized by the state, you certificate is good in other states. If it has the NASBLA symbol it's good.

Also per NH Boater Eduaction, there is an easy way to determine if your certificate is acceptable. If your certificate containes the words,
" ISSUED BY ...", it's good.

If your certificate contains the words, "APPROVED BY..." or "MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS..." it's NO GOOD.
For example the BOAT-US, BOAT WISE and BOAT SAFE Courses are not acceptable.

I was told that the fine is $60.00 for the first offense and $300 for the second offense. It's cheaper to take the course.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly
According to NH Boater Eduaction ...

Anyone that took the on-line boater education test, your certificate is only good in the state of New Hampshire.

If you earned your certificate by attending a course, sponsored or recognized by the state, you certificate is good in other states. If it has the NASBLA symbol it's good.

Also per NH Boater Eduaction, there is an easy way to determine if your certificate is acceptable. If your certificate containes the words,
" ISSUED BY ...", it's good.

If your certificate contains the words, "APPROVED BY..." or "MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS..." it's NO GOOD.
For example the BOAT-US, BOAT WISE and BOAT SAFE Courses are not acceptable.

I was told that the fine is $60.00 for the first offense and $300 for the second offense. It's cheaper to take the course.
On the back of my card, there is the test score:

there is Instructor: (mine is blank, online course)

Certification Source: Internet

Issued by New Hampshire Department of Safety

I would surmise that another jurisdiction would look at the back and tell me that whereas there was no instructor and the source was the internet, that they do not recognize the course in that jurisdiction. I do think that you will find that ALL NH Online course certificates will state that they were issued by NHDOS.

Just my guess. I seem to remember when I signed up to take the exam, it said that this certification was only good in NH, but perhaps that is just the failings of an aged mind .
Old 12-31-2006, 06:14 AM   #11
Pineedles

Default Met the Deadline

Well, whether the internet test is good out of state or not, I took the on-line test yesterday and passed with a 97%. I don't imagine doing any boating out of state, so I guess it doesn't matter. The test was really easy.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:28 AM   #12
TomC

Default no kidding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles
snip... The test was really easy.
and what are questions like "how much water should you drink per hour while on an outing on a boat..?" have to do with safe boating?... (and nevermind the "if you get dehydrated you might feel woozy" nonsense). Plus there was always one or two outrageous answers among the multiple choices as well.

when i took the test 2-3 years ago, i skipped the "instruction" and took the test straight away.. and maybe missed 3-4 of questions, as I got a 95%. i distinctly remember the water question and the "what end of the boat is the transom?" as particularly ridiculous...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:14 AM   #13
ApS

Cool "The Sunshine State" knows woozy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
and what are questions like "how much water should you drink per hour while on an outing on a boat..?" have to do with safe boating?... (and nevermind the "if you get dehydrated you might feel woozy" nonsense).
That question may appear unimportant; however, normal boating activities on a hot summer day requires water consumption. The exam may be making a tangential reference to alcohol which actively dehydrates a boater.

Quote:
"...alcohol causes dehydration of your body...Research has proven that one-third of the amount of alcohol that it takes to make a person legally intoxicated on land can make a boater equally intoxicated on the water...Most people become impaired after only one drink. Alcohol makes it difficult for you to pay attention and perform multiple tasks. For example, it will be more difficult for you to keep track of two or more vessels operating in your area....Alcohol can reduce the ability to distinguish and interpret colors, especially red and green.

"...Always designate non-drinking boaters to operate the vessel and to act as an observer if your group plans to consume alcohol. Do not allow your skipper to operate if he or she is drinking. Alcohol contributes to about one-third of all boating accidents nationwide."
http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/course/p5-1_riskmgmt.htm
Old 12-31-2006, 09:59 AM   #14
Pineedles

Default 1 quart every hour

There was a transom question as well. One of the ones I missed was, When 2 motor vessels appear to be on a crossing path.... The correct answer was neither boat is the stand-on boat and both should keep to the left. That one, I think the answer was wrong. If both boats keep to the left, then they will collide. Oh well, as far as I'm concerned with the nut cases out there, I'll never count on anyone actually knowing whether they are the give-way boat.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #15
Skip

Exclamation On-line test demise, story in the Citizen!

Today's Citizen had a neat little story by Geoff Cunningham on the demise of the on-line test, and the flurry of activity on the State's web-site leading up until yesterday's deadline.

Read all about it at the Citizen's online site HERE!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #16
Pineedles

Default Abuse?

The Citizen posted this statement in the article Skip referred to on the On-line course/test.

"While the on-line method was viewed as convenient, it was also seen as a problem, with officials reporting widespread abuse by those taking the test open-book or cheating by having others take it for them."

Number one, how did any "official" determine there was widespread abuse? Sounds more like an asumption of human behavior than direct knowledge.

Two, I hope boaters who have passed the INTERNET test, as I believe their certificate will reflect, are not singled out for unjustified quizzing by MP officers as opposed to those passing a proctored test.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #17
Grant

I reminded my dad, who has been boating on the Lake since 1945, that yesterday was the deadline. I simply wanted to save him the time & effort of locating the proctored test location and sitting through it in order to do something he's done VERY WELL for 62 years.

Now, granted, this is a guy who has NEVER turned on a computer, let alone used one, and I was visualizing his first online experience -- hunting and pecking with index fingers, fumbling with the mouse, reading glasses perched on his nose trying to read the screen. And it would've been a great first-time 'net experience -- an e-commerce transaction (paying the fee), and a test.

Alas, he had my mom read him the questions, and he gave her the answers. Without studying, and with one run through the practice exam, he scored 89%, and I know he couldn't have done any "open book" action, because they didn't even know how to find the test site.

I also took the online course last fall, as my birth year (1961) came due this year, because I want to be "official" when I get back up in there in spring, with little time to go take a sit-down test. I had the benefit of reading the book over a few months' time, and also read the entire online study and took a practice test. Been operating a boat on the lake since I was about 12 (32-33 years), so all the stuff that was germane to lake boating was easy. But the other markers (heading in/out from ocean, etc.), were new to me -- so I definitely learned something. And, given the chance to take a sit-down proctored test now, I'd probably do better than the online test (on which I scored 93%).

The online test also gave you an opportunity to review those questions you got wrong, which is a positive.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #18
Silver Duck

Let's see;
1. the Marine Patrol is tight on money to pay for resources,
2. this is the last year for everybody to get their cert so lot's of folks will need to do so,
3. 80% have been doing so without involving Marine Patrol resources,
4. the Marine Patrol will almost certainly be facing a major new challenge in enforcing a speed limit (I've about given up on stopping the danged thing),
5. now Marine Patrol resources will need to be diverted from patrol duty to babysit everybody who needs to get their cert.

This makes sense, how?

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #19
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Online Cert.

Quote:

Two, I hope boaters who have passed the INTERNET test, as I believe their certificate will reflect, are not singled out for unjustified quizzing by MP officers as opposed to those passing a proctored test.

I took my test online two years ago.... It dosen't say where or how I took the test... it just has "This is a NASBLA Approved Course" . No mention of online.

Sadly, there is an error on my cert...... It's say's Hair.. Gry... Should have been: Hair... Almost None
Old 01-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #20
Pineedles

Default Too hard on yourself

SteveA,
I saw you at the FF not even close to true. We're only as old as we feel. My prostate caner is back after 4 years after radical prostatechomy I'll be trating it with radiation over the next 3 months and I'll beat it. I felt beaten and old until someone said the same to me. Glad to hear that the Cert. doesn't say anything about internet. It would be a shame to see that the opportunity for abuse existed.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #21
carguy

Default Am I licensed to operate in New Hampshire?

Back in the mid 1990's I owned and operated a few power boats on Lake Winnipesaukee. The last boat being a 1952 Chris Craft 42' Double Cabin Flying Bridge Cruiser whis was berthed at Fay's Boat Yard in Gilford. I also had been driving power boats on the Lake since the early 1950's, all without having an operator's license.

When I finally decided to do my boating in my home state of Connecticut in the late 1990's I had to take a classroom course administered by the state and pass the test with a grade of 80% or better (I got a 100%) in order to get a State of Conecticut Safe Boater's Operator's License. Connecticut has long been an advocate of power boaters having a license to operate their craft. My roomate and I who co-owned the boats both passed the test and received our Connecticut Safe Boating Operator Licenses along with the Personal Watercraft Endorsement.

My question is that if I decide to operate a boat on Lake Winnipesauee again, do I need a New Hampshire License? even if it is only for a short term such as a weekend or vacation?

I hope New Hampshire recognizes licenses received by boaters in other staes, especially neighboring New England States.

My Chris Craft Cruiser is pictured at Wolfeboro in 1995. It was in the process of being restored at the time the photo was taken. The name of the boat was Grumpy Ol' Men
Attached Images

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #22
Resident 2B

Default Best Wishes!

Pineedles,

Sincere best wishes in your personal fight. Nothing in life is more important than health. Most do not realize this until they are in a health related situation.

Keep your interesting and thought provoking posts coming. You always have an interesting and reasonable point of view, even when you disagree with my position. That is the real value of this open forum.

My prayers, and I am sure the prayers of many other forum members, will be with you.

Best regards,

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #23
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
SteveA,
I saw you at the FF not even close to true. We're only as old as we feel. My prostate caner is back after 4 years after radical prostatechomy I'll be trating it with radiation over the next 3 months and I'll beat it. I felt beaten and old until someone said the same to me. Glad to hear that the Cert. doesn't say anything about internet. It would be a shame to see that the opportunity for abuse existed.
Our sincere best wishes and prayers will be following you over the next few months.

Let us know what else we can do to help.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #24
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy
My question is that if I decide to operate a boat on Lake Winnipesauee again, do I need a New Hampshire License? even if it is only for a short term such as a weekend or vacation?

I hope New Hampshire recognizes licenses received by boaters in other staes, especially neighboring New England States.
It should be recognized if it has the NASBLA approved symbol.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #25
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Online Verification

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
I took my test online two years ago.... It dosen't say where or how I took the test... it just has "This is a NASBLA Approved Course" . No mention of online.
Look on the back of the certificate, and you should see:

Test Score:
Instructor:
Certification Source: Internet

At least that is what is on the back of my certificate and I took the course 2 years ago myself.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #26
topwater

I spoke with Marine Patrol on Tues, regarding a radio commerical I heard on 93.3 the Wolf. Marine Patrol confirmed the commericial, It said that anyone 51 or older does Not need a certificate until 2008, thats when " EVERYONE " will need one to operate a boat in the state of NH, with a certain horse power. Hope this info helps.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #27
Waterbaby

Default Good Wishes, and Lots of Prayers!

Quote:
My prostate caner is back after 4 years after radical prostatechomy I'll be trating it with radiation over the next 3 months and I'll beat it.
Pineedles, keep up that positive attitude and thinking, and you will win in the Cancerarena! My thoughts and prayers are with you. Stay strong.

WB
Old 01-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #28
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Just curious....what will this do to the rental business?
I've been a boat owner for 30 tears and if I need to be cerified......everyone should.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:10 AM   #29
Pineedles

Default Thanks to all!

I appreciate the encouragement; thank you all. I am sure after the radiation, I'll be fine and ready for the second 50 years of my life. BTW, Men don't wait putting off your PSA test. It's a simple blood test and doesn't hurt.

Now for the topic at hand. Good question! I am sure that initially the rental business will have to disappoint a few people who want to do a last minute rental. I have rented in the past and the 18' boats are usually well booked weeks if not months ahead of time during the prime season. As a rule, the rental companies will have to require to see the certificate as they are the ones who are ultimately responsible if any laws are broken.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #30
ladybug

You can not rent a boat or jet ski if you are not certified. The people who rent must checked the operators before they can rent. Also the insurance policy to cover the rentals has a clause regarding certification as well. If a boat is rented to a person Not certified and there is an accident no coverage will apply.

In regard to having an out of state boating certificate I was informed that if you do not live in NH you can be certified from your home state and it will be accepted in NH.

Hope this helps but you can also check with New Hampshire for clarification.
ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #31
Boat_captain

Default Use on line course to prepare

Just because the state won't honor the course or test on line it makes sense to still use it to educate and practice. Many people can use it to help them prepare for the practice test. I always believed the test should be proctored.
Boat_captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:33 AM   #32
jrc

Don't the rental companies still have the temporary test?

My rental story for the day:
Last summer I'm on the Weirs docks killing time. There is a large group/family, at least ten people taking turns on two rental jet skis. Two of the adults start up a conversation with we about my boat. The subject of license comes up. They say that they got their temporary license when they rented but the kids didn't need them. (the kids were driving the jets skis alone, pretty much exclusively)
I warn the adults that the kids are violating the 150' rule constantly and they should be more careful. I explain the 150' rule to him and he said that it's impossible such a rule exists. The kids would not have any fun if that rule were followed and he wouldn't bother renting.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #33
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
Don't the rental companies still have the temporary test?
More info on the temporary safety certificate:

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/s.../14dayrev.html

]http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...D/270-D-14.htm
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #34
carguy

Default Out of Staters

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy
Back in the mid 1990's I owned and operated a few power boats on Lake Winnipesaukee. The last boat being a 1952 Chris Craft 42' Double Cabin Flying Bridge Cruiser whis was berthed at Fay's Boat Yard in Gilford. I also had been driving power boats on the Lake since the early 1950's, all without having an operator's license.

When I finally decided to do my boating in my home state of Connecticut in the late 1990's I had to take a classroom course administered by the state and pass the test with a grade of 80% or better (I got a 100%) in order to get a State of Conecticut Safe Boater's Operator's License. Connecticut has long been an advocate of power boaters having a license to operate their craft. My roomate and I who co-owned the boats both passed the test and received our Connecticut Safe Boating Operator Licenses along with the Personal Watercraft Endorsement.

My Chris Craft Cruiser is pictured at Wolfeboro in 1995. It was in the process of being restored at the time the photo was taken. The name of the boat was Grumpy Ol' Men
I found out that since I have a Connecticut State Safe Boaters Operation Certificate, I do not need a New Hampshire license. See next paragraph

Section 270-D:15
270-D:15 Certificate Not Required. – A person shall not be required to obtain a certificate of boating safety education if the person holds a certificate from any state indicating successful completion of boating safety education that meets or exceeds the requirements of this subdivision, a certificate from the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, or a certificate from the United States Power Squadron.
Source. 2000, 52:3, eff. Jan. 1, 2002.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #35
NightWing

Default Note Section 5, a2, Very Important

Saf-C 6104.01 Minimum Standards for Boating Safety Education Competency.

(a) A person required to possess a safe boater education certificate in order to operate a motorboat in New Hampshire shall meet the minimum standard for boating safety education competency, as set forth in RSA 270-D:13.

(b) The minimum standards for boater safety education competency shall be:

(1) Successful completion of a boating safety course in person and passing score of at least 70 percent on a written test administered at the conclusion of the course by the instructor or a proctor, pursuant to RSA 270-D:13, I(a);

(2) A score of 80 percent on a proctored equivalency examination, pursuant to RSA 270-D:13, I(b).

(3) A score of at least 70 percent on a home study course and self-test;

(4) A score of at least 70 percent on a self-test boating safety education course offered over the internet; or

5) Possession of a certificate, card or other official document issued by:

a. Another state indicating successful completion of boating safety education that:

1. Meets or exceeds the requirements of a New Hampshire safe boater education certificate; and

2. Is NASBLA approved;

b. US Power Squadron; or

c. US Coast Guard Auxiliary.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #36
Pineedles

Default Don posted the correct info

I'm quoting the Webmaster's (Don) links.

Boating Education Program 14 Day Temporary Safe Boating Certificate

The 14-Day Temporary Certificate is only a short-term solution for your boating certification and it can only be used once

TITLE XXII
NAVIGATION; HARBORS; COAST SURVEY
CHAPTER 270-D
BOATING AND WATER SAFETY ON NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC WATERS
Safe Boater Education
Section 270-D:14

The temporary certificate of safe boater education shall be valid for up to 14 days and shall entitle the holder only to operate a vessel on the public waters of New Hampshire. No person shall receive more than one temporary certificate of safe boating education in any calendar year.

So, I guess that you can only get (1) pass, the first year by taking the test at your local boat dealer whom you are renting from. If you read both of the links, you will see that a license to captain a boat can be obtained by taking a "test" from the people who rent you the boat.

What is interesting is... if you read the regulation..... could a friend who shows up on the weekend unexpectedly be allowed to operate a boat where YOU have administered the test? You are "renting the boat to him". wink wink nod nod.