Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
winterh

Default stand up jet ski

I have seen a few of these around the lake and they look like fun. I have a couple of the sit down models but am thinking about trying something new. Any one have experience with these? I understand that Yamaha is the only company still making them.
Hard to find one I can test drive. If there is one out there PM me if you are interested in renting it for a day.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
surfnsnow

they are more fun than pwc. it's a bit of a challenge . there are several for sale on craigs list. also dasilvas in moultonboro has a new one on site. not sure if they offer test rides though
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

I don't know what they are like now, but a friend had one and I tried it many years ago and they are hard to get up on. I wouldn't want one. I guess if you want a challenge…. Maybe they are different today but I didn't like that one.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
I have seen a few of these around the lake and they look like fun. I have a couple of the sit down models but am thinking about trying something new. Any one have experience with these? I understand that Yamaha is the only company still making them.
Hard to find one I can test drive. If there is one out there PM me if you are interested in renting it for a day.
They are fun if you are YOUNG and nimble!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
IMO they are the only way to ride, unless you just like cruising around and going in circles on a sit-down

Yes, more challenging, more of a workout, but more fun. If you get one, let me know, I'll teach you some freestyle tricks if you're interested.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
winterh

I was doing a bit of research and came across this in a review of the Yamaha.

"One of the catches of that lone remaining two-stroke is that it eliminates the craft from public sale and positions the Super Jet as a model for competition-use only. That means you can ride it on a race course or private lake, but you won’t be able to trot down to the motor vehicle department and register it then head out on a public waterway."

Are they legal on the lake and can they be registered and insured?
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
NHskier

I've seen a couple of these from, I believe, the jet ski rental shop on the Weirs Channel. They seem to have a collection of various older style craft, including a jet boat that's about the size of a peddle boat. (Pretty funny on Saturday seeing 3 good-size guys crammed into that!) I don't know if they rent the stand-up units or just have them for a hobby.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
RLW

Smile

H&K in Laconia has them for sale, at least when I was in there about 3 weeks ago and I'm sure Joe Lucarelli or Mark Wagner can help you out and answer all your questions.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
dt5150

used to ride those all the time when i was a kid, had an absolute ball on them. they do take some practice to learn how to stand up on them, but once you get it it's not too difficult. they're definitely a lot of fun!
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #10
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
They are fun if you are YOUNG and nimble!
I can't wait to show this to my husband. He's about to turn 60, has bad knees and rides a stand-up with no problem...!

(I never got the hang of it. )
Old 07-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
Shreddy

I have one that I love. Picked it up years ago for $700 with the trailer ('91 Kawasaki SX 550 - full engine mod). I don't use it that much anymore (maybe once or twice a year). But when I put it in it's a blast and I let all my friends try it out. It's a little hard at first to get the concept, but over time you becoming more comfortable with different tricks. It's all about throttle control when controlling stability. Maybe I'll see if I can fire mine up this weekend and put it in the water on Saturday. If you're in the Moultonboro area and I manage to have it in the water I'd be happy to pawn it off for a test drive and even give you some helpful tips. It's definitely a work out too, even for a young adult like me.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

This thread may explain the old jet skis (wetbikes) in the Weirs channel:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13848

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
Knomad

If you get one of these that fits the definition of a "ski craft":

"A motorized vessel less than 13ft long that is capable of exceeding 20 MPH and has the capacity to carry no more than an operator and one other person"

Be aware that these are vessels have a number of restrictions (see pages 48 and 49 of the "Boaters Guide of New Hampshire").
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #14
jetskier

Post Information

Hi all,

Yamaha still makes the Superjet and they are saying that it is for closed course use only:

http://www.yamahawaverunners.com/superjet

Kawasaki no longer makes stand ups. They stopped making the 750SX-R in 2011:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/805/10...irst-Ride.aspx

This was Kawasaki's last attempt at popularizing stand ups and it has a more forgiving hull design. It does require premix which is a bit of a pain.

For someone learning to ride, a good option is the Kawasaki 650SX. They made these from 1986 to 1993 and you can still find them around. It has enough power to be a decent ride and it was designed for the recreational rider. Craig's List tends to be a good source (example):

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mcy/4557740828.html

I would strongly recommend opting for one that was not used in salt water and carefully check condition. The 650SX did not come with a handle pole spring, so if you go that route, I would strongly suggest installing one to minimize arm fatigue.

Good luck.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote