Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
Lake Guy

Default Docking for a Meadowbrook concert

Hi all,
Hope everyone is great and finally enjoying the lake after the long winter!

I have tickets to a concert at Meadowbrook in July and would like to take the boat from Rattlesnake Isl. to the show. Can anyone suggest a place where I can dock my boat for the afternoon / evening somewhere (preferably) walking distance to Meadowbrook...and if not walking distance, also any options for getting from the dock to Meadowbrook (shuttles, etc...).

Much appreciated !

LGk
Lake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
Reilly

Default docking

Did they move Meadowbrook to the Waterfront ???
Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Shortstop

Default Same here...

It would be great to be able to go to a show by boat and avoid the auto traffic. Maybe it's a business opportunity for the marina's/clubs located there. I'd pay $50 (or maybe even $100) to park for an evening and walk up to the show.
Shortstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
gf2020

Check with Silver Sands Motel & Marina. It would be less than a mile walk from there.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Dave R

Only 1.7 miles from Glendale docks.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Glendale Docks.

I have parked there many times and walked to the concert. They don't police the lot after 7pm. A cruiser will come around after midnight to ticket any boat without a Gilford Islands sticker.

It is pretty neat to walk by cars stranded in the traffic, stop at Patrick's or Lyons Den on the way back to the boat, and head out. There is a 3 hour limit, so plan on docking no earlier than 5pm. This gives you plenty of time to join a tailgate party.

Don't even try to park at the Gilford Yacht Club. I was told they will impound your boat. Not sure how they can do that. You can get permission from one of the association members to park at the guest slip, but less than a handful of boats can park there.

If you rent a unit at Silver Sands or at Barefoot Beach, the unit may include a slip. Another option.
Lakegeezer (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
Lake Guy

Default Docking Advice Thanks

Thank you all for the ideas. I'll give Silver Sands and Glendale a call to see if I can rent a slip for the evening. It does seem like this would be a great business for someone to rent out slips by the hour in that area of the lake...
Lake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Guy View Post
Thank you all for the ideas. I'll give Silver Sands and Glendale a call to see if I can rent a slip for the evening. It does seem like this would be a great business for someone to rent out slips by the hour in that area of the lake...
Being able to rent a slip by the hour would likely have prevented a recent grounding by Welch!
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
... Don't even try to park at the Gilford Yacht Club. I was told they will impound your boat. Not sure how they can do that. You can get permission from one of the association members to park at the guest slip, but less than a handful of boats can park there.
There really isn't a guest slip at GYC. There is one slip for launching and pumping out, it is used often on weekends. Plus there's a tiny space between slips that the DES boat uses. All others slips are assigned to boats and this year they are all taken.

A lot of those marinas like GYC, MVYC, Glendale Yacht Club are condo, so if you park in some persons slip, they will not be happy. Since they can't anchor out overnight, they will be back.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
Rich

I know someone that owns an empty slip, I'll mention the opportunty to them and see if they want to make some money. But my guess is that they would prefer the space.

Edited to add: they are not interested. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Rich; 06-19-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
Taz

Do not use some one elses slip even if the owner says its ok. Condo marinas (at least MVYC) do not allow it and it only causes problems and bad blood among other neighboring slips. Its not worth the headache. Drive to the concert.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Default No Guest Parking

One of many reasons other than the outrageous prices for a slip is the reason I am not attracted to this 'snobbish' yacht club.
I had a chance to buy a foreclosed condo across the street from the yacht club with a deeded right to a slip. The association fees were at the time astronomical!

I would walk from the Glendale public docks, or if in the mood, rent a honeymoon suite at Barefoot Beach and request a dock!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #13
Taz

Default snobbish

Its not snobbish, its smart. Allowing people who don't own or rent to park as a guest opens the club up to all kinds of liability. You don't want any Tom, Dick and Harry who may not even have insurance to park at a private marina to go across the street to Patricks, Parafunalia, Meadowbrook. Return drunk and cause problems with people who belong there. They could hit another boat, there is any number of issues that could arise. Not smart, think about it.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
Diver Vince (06-20-2014), ishoot308 (06-19-2014), TiltonBB (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #14
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
One of many reasons other than the outrageous prices for a slip is the reason I am not attracted to this 'snobbish' yacht club.
I had a chance to buy a foreclosed condo across the street from the yacht club with a deeded right to a slip. The association fees were at the time astronomical!

I would walk from the Glendale public docks, or if in the mood, rent a honeymoon suite at Barefoot Beach and request a dock!
So I assume that you would be OK with people parking in the driveway at your home or docking at your house because they wanted to attend an event in your neighborhood?

I own a slip at MVYC and we have had problems for years with people wanting to use the docks and bathrooms so that they could attend concerts at Meadowbrook. When they come back, loud and drunk at 11:00 PM, and wake up half the people sleeping on their boats, what recourse do we have? When they trip and fall on our property who are they going to sue? "Snobbish"? I don't think so! Protecting a beautiful facility and maintaining a quality of life? Positively!

The rules at MVYC are no different than any other piece of private property and should be respected as such!
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-20-2014), brk-lnt (06-20-2014), Diver Vince (06-20-2014), jmen24 (06-20-2014), Red apple (06-20-2014), WakeboardMom (06-20-2014), Winnigirl (06-20-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Default What I mean

I guess I should have said the condos across the street. When I was checking out the foreclosed units, the other units owners put on 'quite the air' and appears unfriendly. I'm assuming the MVYC is the same.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #16
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
I guess I should have said the condos across the street. When I was checking out the foreclosed units, the other units owners put on 'quite the air' and appears unfriendly. I'm assuming the MVYC is the same.
That nails it, we really understand what you mean now. Don't you just hate it when people put on "quite the air" and appear unfriendly? And while you're at it, you might just as well throw in some assumptions about other places.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (06-20-2014), jmen24 (06-20-2014), TiltonBB (06-20-2014), WakeboardMom (06-20-2014)