Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
NoBozo

Default OLD Puss

We have an 17+ year old cat named Moose. She needs to take pill every morning and at night to keep her T4 (Thyroid) within limits.. we cut a 5mg pill into two with one of those "pill cutters" that you can get in any pharmacy.

Stuffing a PILL into a cats mouth twice a day really does not work for long..

We use a product called "Greenies Pill pockets" for cats. It's also available for dogs. It's a little chewy thingy that you stuff the pill into (hide it) and your pet thinks it's a Treat and gobbles it down. It's been working for two years with Moose. Just thought I'd bring this up in case someone hadn't heard of it. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
beagle (08-31-2012), Jonas Pilot (08-24-2012), RLW (08-24-2012), SteveA (08-28-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
donnamatrix

Default Best way to pill a cat - or dog!

We had a cat that was also in need of thyroid meds every day - she has since gone over the rainbow bridge, but this is a fairly foolproof way to pill a cat or dog.

Buy some Old English cheese - or Velveeta in a jar. Put the pill into a small dollop of cheese -squishing the pill into the center of the dollop of cheese to cover it. Wet your fingers with tap water, and use the water to dampen and make slippery the dollop of cheese. Put cat/dog between your knees with pet's head facing out, open the mouth of pet - insert moistened dollop of cheese. Close pet's mouth and rub pet's nose or under chin to enduce swallowing. Works every time!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Works every time!
You obviously have not tried that with my late cats as you would have had a different conclusion.
I wish I had known about that product Nobozo when I was trying to give my cats the same medication.They got wise very quick and actually started hiding from me when they knew what was coming.They even got wise to hiding it in many different foods.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
You obviously have not tried that with my late cats as you would have had a different conclusion.
I wish I had known about that product Nobozo when I was trying to give my cats the same medication.They got wise very quick and actually started hiding from me when they knew what was coming.They even got wise to hiding it in many different foods.
Same for us! I did learn from a Vet recently a cool little trick.. Stick the pill on the back of the tongue and squirt a little water from a syringe into the back of the mouth. Cat's natural instinct is to swallow the water and down goes the pill. (One of my cats is sitting right here watching me type.. hope she can't read )
Old 08-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
SIKSUKR

I was told the same thing.Sounds great but trying to get that pill in the mouth IS the whole problem with mine.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
wifi

As a side note, my last Siamese I got at the humane society needed two pills per day. He thought every time I sought him out it was for a pill and he was always hiding. One of his glands was cancerous and excreting too much hormone, and the other was normal. My vet knew of a traveling laser vet, and I had the bad thyroid removed, and he lived a totally normal life for years. He never left my side after that operation.... So, there might be alternatives.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
NoBozo

Default 13 Years Ago

Our last cat was 13 when diagnosed with a thyroid problem. We explored all the options. I think her T4 was up around 11-12. (Very High) We chose the NUCLEAR Option. Two places in New England could do it. Tufts..and RadioCat in Hartford. We went to Radio Cat because the Tufts "person" I talked to seemed to have a real Elite attitude. She was just a scheduler..

The Nuclear Option is as follows: The cat is quarantined in the facility that will do the procedure. The Procedure IS: They implant a Radioactive kernal in the cats neck, near the thyroid gland, which will alter the thyroids function (permantly) so as to reduce the T4 reading to reasonable levels.

The procedure worked...it reduced the T4 reading. If it matters: The whole thing cost $2,000..Eleven months later the cat died with Massive Cancer throughout the body. We had to put her down..Just Sayin'. NB
Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
wifi

The advice I got on the nuclear option, was that it totally stopped the thyroid operation, and you would have to give pills to supplement the missing hormone. I my case I wanted to get away from medication totally. I chose the operation, knowing medication would work if the operation didn't and I wouldn't be any worse.

Just presenting what I experienced, every case is unique... YMMV
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Our toy poodle has been on two thyroid pills a day since he was one. The vet never suggested surgery although I have heard of it. Makes you wonder if the surgery helped initiate the cancer, doesn't it No Bozo?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Our toy poodle has been on two thyroid pills a day since he was one. The vet never suggested surgery although I have heard of it. Makes you wonder if the surgery helped initiate the cancer, doesn't it No Bozo?
Sadly, that has been my belief, but I guess every case is different. NB
Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
NoBozo

I was in ERROR. It was not an implanted radioactive kernel. It was a Radioactive Injection. NO Surgery. Rather than try to explain what I think ..I Remember from 13 years ago...here is the "Current" website for RadioCat.

http://www.radiocat.com/

When we got the cat back from Hartford we had to take particular care as to how we disposed of the Kitty Litter because it was considerd radioactive waste until the radiation wore off.

Whatever the particulars....the results were the same. NB
Old 08-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

One of my cats, Jumper, is a mooch. If he sees you eating something, he wants it too. So all you would need to do with my cat would be to hold the pill up to your mouth and whammo the cat would be there ready to pounce on any pill you wanted to give it.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (09-01-2012), NoBozo (08-31-2012)