Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
baygo

Default Tee off for Ta-Tas

Many area businesses are doing a variety of fundraisers to support the up-coming "Making Strides against Breast Cancer" walk in Laconia on Oct 19th.

On Oct 2nd Jade Trace @ The Mystic Meadows is hosting a unique par 3 scramble golf tournament to fund the team "10 Years and Counting" assembled by Tavern 27's junior chef James LaBrie. (His mom is a 10 year breast cancer survivor.

There are over $40,000 in hole-in-one prizes spread out over each of the nine par 3 holes. The unique format will lead four players to 36 opportunities each to win a hole-in-one prize.

The prizes are:
Hole 5 - AutoServ $27,000 car 

Hole 9 - HK Motor Sports $7500 Four Wheeler 

Hole 2 - Burrito Me 1 Burrito a Day for a Year 

Hole 8 - All My Life Jewelers $1500 Diamond Pendant 

Hole 6 - Laconia Bakery $500 Gift Certificate 

Hole 3 - Trustworthy Hardware $500 Electric Snow Blower

Hole 7 - The Magical Mystery Store $750 Gift Certificate

Hole 4 - Tavern 27 $500 Gift Certificate

Hole 1 - Bretton Woods Canopy Trip for 8, $880 (a 4 year old once aced this hole)

There is a pancake breakfast at Tavern 27 to start things off. You do not have to be a golfer to enjoy the breakfast.

Visit http://www.jadetrace.com to learn more or register.

Sunday's Spa in downtown Laconia has a raffle for several Spa items. Visit the Spa to view the items.

Does anyone know of any other fund raisers for this worthy cause?
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
CGI3

Tee off for Ta-Tas?? Is it just me?? Does anyone else find this a bit offensive, or tasteless?
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CGI3 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-04-2010), Shedwannabe (09-20-2010)
Old 09-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
eillac@dow

I can certainly understand how one would view this as being tasteless, but this is not the first time I have heard of it and I am not offended. (I am a woman.)

It is catchy....isn't it. And it does bring awareness to a terrible disease.

I think what Baygo is doing a good thing. If you stop and think about it....any way that money can be raised to find a cure....it is a good thing.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (09-29-2010), Knockers (09-21-2010), SIKSUKR (09-22-2010), SteveA (09-21-2010), Sunrise Point (09-22-2010), trfour (09-20-2010), VitaBene (09-21-2010)
Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGI3 View Post
Tee off for Ta-Tas?? Is it just me?? Does anyone else find this a bit offensive, or tasteless?
I've seen many breast-cancer awareness drives use a slang term like that. "Save the ta-tas" is another that comes to mind.

IMO, if this bothers you, you have kind of a thin skin. It's meant for a good cause and not as some degrading statement.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I've seen many breast-cancer awareness drives use a slang term like that. "Save the ta-tas" is another that comes to mind.

IMO, if this bothers you, you have kind of a thin skin. It's meant for a good cause and not as some degrading statement.
I had to read it twice to make sure I read it correctly. I like it!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Steveo

Look who was the first person to thank eillac@dow for defending ta-tas
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
Chaos

Default Great catch Steveo

My son bought a red rubber "I Heart Boobies" bracelet this summer. It's like the Livestrong ones. He didn't buy it for the cause, but the money went where it is needed so I didn't mind.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaos For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Guy (09-29-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Look who was the first person to thank eillac@dow for defending ta-tas
I figured I'd throw my name up there too!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

Last weekend the Bridge St bridge in Manchester had bras strung together across the river for the same cause.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
baygo

Default ALL Welcome to Breakfast

One does not have to be a golfer to enjoy the pancake breakfast. It is only $9 and all are welcome to participate in a silent auction for hole-in-one prizes that are not awarded.

PS.. I felt terrible when I learned that I offended some
Thanks to all who've chimed in with support
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (09-29-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
mg2107

It's tacky
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mg2107 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-04-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
nightrider

Default Ta-Ta's are beautiful

Quote:
It's just you.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
Argie's Wife

Oh, it could be worse... good thing Baygo isn't raising money for rectal cancer

Seriously...

Don't let the name for the cause or whatever bug ya or take away from the cause. If you've ever walked a "Making Strides" event in Laconia or elsewhere then you'll see the names of the various teams... mostly women... and mostly with cute or silly names for their teams. They're the survivors; they can call it anything they want, for all I care. I just want to call it "cured!"

Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
baygo (09-30-2010), chipj29 (09-30-2010), ishoot308 (09-30-2010), Knockers (09-30-2010), rander7823 (09-30-2010), RI Swamp Yankee (09-30-2010), VitaBene (09-30-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
redsoxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Oh, it could be worse... good thing Baygo isn't raising money for rectal cancer

Seriously...

Don't let the name for the cause or whatever bug ya or take away from the cause. If you've ever walked a "Making Strides" event in Laconia or elsewhere then you'll see the names of the various teams... mostly women... and mostly with cute or silly names for their teams. They're the survivors; they can call it anything they want, for all I care. I just want to call it "cured!"

Amen - I totally agree!
redsoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #15
Cristen

Default Save the ta-tas!!!

Quote:
I don't find it offensive at all. I have seen bumper stickers, bracelets and tshirts that say "Save the Ta-tas". A good friend of mine has been fighting breast cancer for two years now, and she is only 34 years old. She is an amazing woman and always has a smile on her face. She proudly wears "Save the Ta-Tas" shirts. She will be up to the lake visiting Columbus day weekend in October (which is breast cancer awareness month) and I am sure she will be wearing lots of pink!

I think it a fun loving slogan to give people hope and also a laugh!
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #16
baygo

Default Because Golfers are so honest.

Hmmm

I look at the "thanks" in this thread and It is surprising but clear to me that "Tee Off For Ta-Tas" is offensive, but only to a minority.

James had arranged for a number of his friends from the Boys and Girls club to work the tournament. They were to observe shots to ensure legitimacy of any hole-in-one claims. Unfortunately someone at the LRBAC is among the minority and has now withdrawn their participation because of the event name. I wonder if they would think the same if they read this thread. Anyone available to volunteer as an observers please PM me or Call 528-3057. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #17
eillac@dow

Baygo...

I am so sorry to hear of the withdrawal. I wish I could be there to help out, but I am not local and will not be in NH this weekend.

It is truly a shame. What you are doing is a wonderful thing. Don't worry about thinking your fundraiser name was being offensive. Remember it was a minority that was offended. The thought that went into the event far outweighs everything else.

I like what Argies's wife said.... "I just want to call it "cured!" ...and what you are doing will help get us there. Thank you.

eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #18
Bigstan

Default really?

Really - thats just crap - why question a good cause for a so called offensive name.

If people backed out over this nonsense, maybe someone will step forward to take their place?

Last edited by Bigstan; 09-30-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: 2nd thought
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #19
Jmo77011

Default What?!

It's too bad that a few small-minded individuals can have such a negative impact on such a great cause! Offended by a name...come on, people! I lost my mother to cancer two weeks after I had her first granddaughter, so yeah, I feel pretty strongly about it. Ridiculous...
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #20
Shedwannabe

I would like to think that people can differentiate between those who find it offensive and those who work behind the scenes to sabotage an event.

While I see referring to women's breasts as ta-ta's, or tits, or other names that demean woman by objectifying their body parts, as offensive, its probably on the same level as the insensitivity of sports teams having caricatures of Native Americans as mascots, or having a black woman dress up as Aunt Jemima, or having whites go in black-face to make fun of blacks. I see them as pretty juvenile, but much is our culture is pretty juvenile, so I just choose not to participate, and let my reasons be known.

Apparently someone decided to take their disapproval further and use their power to stop something that was never harmful. To go further than not attending or supporting something that is aimed at good just because of the name is not disapproving, it is sabotaging.
Shedwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #21
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedwannabe View Post
...its probably on the same level as the insensitivity of sports teams having caricatures of Native Americans as mascots, or having a black woman dress up as Aunt Jemima, or having whites go in black-face to make fun of blacks. I see them as pretty juvenile, but much is our culture is pretty juvenile, so I just choose not to participate, and let my reasons be known.
Did you really mean to put racism on the same level as using slang?

Racism is, without a doubt, much more offensive.

Words have power over you only if you allow it. Being offended by a slang, non-vulgar term for breast does seem backwards when you consider the slag terms for our other body parts we use. I can think of many of them as I sit here on my gluteus maximus, butt, hiney, rear, rump, buttocks, badonkadonk, behind, booty, bum, can, onion, patootie, petard, whoopie cakes, posterior, cheeks, caboose, tail, duff, fanny, hams, haunches, moon, backside, or tush typing this post and all of them can be used in a Scrabble game (well.. maybe not badonkadonk...).
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
gtagrip (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #22
Shedwannabe

Actually, I did mean to put attitudes and behaviors designed to discredit another group on the same level. Yes, the effects of persistent racism are more severe, but they are of the same type of behavior that attempts to keep women "in their place" by making them sexual objects rather than whole persons. There is the wage disparity between men and women (not as big between white and black, I grant you), there is the glass ceiling. The women who are making it in the corporate world are NOT the ones using their sex appeal, their ability to make men go ga-ga over ta-ta's...
Old 10-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #23
gtagrip

I think somebody needs to lighten up!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #24
SIKSUKR

Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are on their way to see you and they are not happy.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #25
Winnipesaukee

Argie's Wife (10-02-2010), chipj29 (10-04-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #26
CGI3

Hey Baygo, if you have any tee shirts left, maybe next week you can sponser a wet tee shirt contest / fundraiser. Or heck, set up a tent and have free taa-taa screenings, or rent out the funspot and sponser a "bowling for boobies" fund raiser. All kidding aside, It's just such a great cause and I feel that you might offend some (like myself) and perhaps some may be a bit hesitant to attend, or donate to such a great cause. I heard no mention of this in any of the local papers, and the "Taa-Taa" thing may be why. Just my humble opinion. And as for the Boys & Girls club backing out? My 12 year old daughter asks me if it's ok to volunteer as a hole spotter for "tee off for taa-taas, I guess you know what the answer would be.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #27
WhitMtn

Default Tee Off for Ta Tas.........

has been around for along time. We just lost my mother-in-law on 8-16-2010 who always took care of herself. I really hope all of those with negative comments never have to to deal with cancer of any kind. If you feel this strongly about the name perhaps you could put your energy in keeping people who hurt children in jail!
WhitMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #28
Shedwannabe

I survived Stage 4 cancer myself. I'm all for things that support research to cure or prevent this disease. I also learned to speak up and say what I feel, and to care enough to confront degradation of women.

Seriously, just because I point out that "ta-ta's" is part of a culture that demeans women doesn't mean I don't want all efforts to cure cancer to go ahead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shedwannabe For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (10-02-2010)
Old 10-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #29
CGI3

Ok all you Ta-Ta lovers. Put your money were your mouth is, and do as I have done for the past 18 years. Cut a check for whatever you can afford, to the American Cancer Society and hopefully, some day, in our lifetime, it will be a thing of the past.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #30
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Ok all you Ta-Ta lovers. Put your money were your mouth is, and do as I have done for the past 18 years. Cut a check for whatever you can afford, to the American Cancer Society and hopefully, some day, in our lifetime, it will be a thing of the past.
Go one better than that - form your own team and walk on October 17. It's not too late. More info here: MAKING STRIDES - LACONIA, NH

Quote:
Shedwannabe wrote:
I survived Stage 4 cancer myself. I'm all for things that support research to cure or prevent this disease. I also learned to speak up and say what I feel, and to care enough to confront degradation of women.

Seriously, just because I point out that "ta-ta's" is part of a culture that demeans women doesn't mean I don't want all efforts to cure cancer to go ahead.
Thank you for being here.

Seriously.

And know that I appreciate your posts and your concern.

But respectfully disagree on those terms degrading women, that you mentioned. To me, a woman, being degraded or disrespected has much more to do with someone's intent than it does with their actual words themselves. Someone can say, 'have a nice day' and with the wrong intentions or attitude it can be as bad them telling you to go to hell. I agree that "ta-tas" is a bit tacky... sometimes tacky can be funny or corny... I'm not fussed by it at all, really. Cancer is much more degrading than a silly little hyphenated word.

Like I said earlier... words have power over you if you allow them to... or not.

Peace.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #31
baygo

Quote:
Hey Baygo, if you have any tee shirts left, maybe next week you can sponser a wet tee shirt contest / fundraiser. Or heck, set up a tent and have free taa-taa screenings, or rent out the funspot and sponser a "bowling for boobies" fund raiser. All kidding aside, It's just such a great cause and I feel that you might offend some (like myself) and perhaps some may be a bit hesitant to attend, or donate to such a great cause. I heard no mention of this in any of the local papers, and the "Taa-Taa" thing may be why. Just my humble opinion. And as for the Boys & Girls club backing out? My 12 year old daughter asks me if it's ok to volunteer as a hole spotter for "tee off for taa-taas, I guess you know what the answer would be.
My mission was to have a positive impact on breast cancer awareness in the Lakes Region, during breast cancer awareness month. Re-check the local papers and you will find that they did report and encourage "Tee Off For Ta-Tas". I see the number of times this thread has been read and the number of opinions posted. I watched people enjoy pancakes, and others play golf for a cause. I believe the mission was accomplished.

My wife an I have a history of organizing fund raisers, often to come to the realization that we and the cause would have both come out ahead if we had just cut a check instead. Tee Off for Ta-Tas was an exception. We are glad to announce that the event raised more than it cost us.

According to a few, we were clumsy in our selection of the event title. if the effort we've put forward and the money we have help raise, helps find the cure, taking one for the team is a small price to pay. I'll also sleep better at night knowing that if today's 12 year old girls have a future which includes the somber diagnosis, our efforts along side those of millions of others were the reasons that a cure was found and the somber diagnosis became no more concerning than the diagnosis of a common cold.

It's been nearly 50 years but I believe it was my mother who first encouraged me to use the words Ta-Tas. She preferred them over some of the words I was picking up from my father and his friends. How do I tell her that she raised me to offend?

We plan to host an annual fund raiser for this cause. I certainly would prefer to avoid the controversy so please make some suggestions for a more appropriate name. Please try to come up with something that is catchy and likely to bring levity. I'd hate to disappoint the majority who received the title with a chuckle and constructive concern.

PS. I do have a few tee-shirts left. I was approached by a group of breast cancer survivors who were all over forty a wanted to participate in a wet tee-shirt contest during the event. I decided that it was inappropriate because one of the divisions of golfers was made up of junior golfers. Women who have survived BC seem to have a totally different outlook on this topic and life in general.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (10-03-2010), eillac@dow (10-03-2010), Jmo77011 (10-03-2010)
Old 10-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #32
Yosemite Sam

Thank you and your staff for all that have done for this great cause!

The below photo was on the front page of the LDS yesterday:

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yosemite Sam For This Useful Post:
baygo (10-03-2010)
Old 10-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #33
Hazy Davy

Default Don't Change the Name!

Ray,

My wife and I bought two of your tees the other night and I wore it the past two days. Don't change a thing! The name is right on! I'll make sure to be make next years event!
Hazy Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hazy Davy For This Useful Post:
baygo (10-03-2010)
Old 10-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #34
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
... According to a few, we were clumsy in our selection of the event title. ...
Well, in my opinion a very few.

Honestly I had never heard the term so I asked Mrs. RISY, she hadn't heard it either or at least wasn't sure. When I explained the context she said "Oh, ok, if they don't want to use the word boobs then I guess that works". I asked if she thought it was offensive and she just gave me a puzzled look and said why would anyone be offended. I might add, she IS easily offended by many things but not by this.

You did a good thing Ray. The only advice I can offer is "Illegitimi non carborundum". (try a Google search for that if you haven't heard it)
Argie's Wife (10-03-2010), baygo (10-03-2010)
Old 10-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #35
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
You did a good thing Ray. The only advice I can offer is "Illegitimi non carborundum". (try a Google search for that if you haven't heard it)
RISY, the translation is awesome! If you'll come by and help me with the Latin pronunciation I will treat you to a beverage

I still have about 10 tee shirts left. $20 each or 2 for $35. 100% to the cause. Anyone can simply come by Tavern 27 Tues. thru Sunday after 11AM to get a shirt. I'll treat all who buy 2 to a beverage. I can process a credit card and take phone orders for those who have gone south. 603.528.3057 Your beverage will be waiting for you on your return.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #36
Summersled

Wink Tee off for Ta-Ta's

Quote:

No I don't find it offensive. I am a mammographer and I see breast cancer affect people on a daily basis. Breast Cancer is a terrible disease. Step up to the times.
Summersled is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summersled For This Useful Post:
Jmo77011 (10-09-2010)
Old 10-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #37
nightrider

Default funding in a different direction

How about someone raise some money for Breast Cancer at the drags this weekend. You have a huge crowd to draw from. You could call it something like Drags for D-Cups...No?
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #38
Argie's Wife

Call it what you want... raise money... help a cause...

Making Strides is October 17 in Laconia at Opechee Park. Get sponsors or sponsor a walker. The event starts at 8 am, and the walk starts at 10am. There's a three mile route and a five mile route. Lots of local sponsors help make the event fun and memorable. Join the team!
Old 10-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #39
Jmo77011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Call it what you want... raise money... help a cause...

Making Strides is October 17 in Laconia at Opechee Park. Get sponsors or sponsor a walker. The event starts at 8 am, and the walk starts at 10am. There's a three mile route and a five mile route. Lots of local sponsors help make the event fun and memorable. Join the team!
My team will be there! Looking forward to having a great day for a great cause!
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmo77011 For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (10-09-2010)